ASTRO: NGC 6421 (milky way in Scorpius)

Old January 9th 12, 01:42 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Default ASTRO: NGC 6421 (milky way in Scorpius)

NGC 6421 is an open cluster in Scorpius that is supposed to be in the
central part of this image. I can't really distinguish it from all those
background stars though...

Date May 25 2011
Object NGC 6421
Optics ASA 12" Astrograph bei 1069mm Brennweite
Camera Atik 383, Baader LRGB
Exposure 6x10m Lum, 3x10m RGB each
Mount ASA DDM85
Location Namibia, Tivoli farm

http://ccd-astronomy.de/temp6/6421coloursmallgut.jpg

Stefan

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6421coloursmallgut.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	3903
Old January 9th 12, 08:11 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

On 1/9/2012 7:42 AM, Stefan Lilge wrote:
NGC 6421 is an open cluster in Scorpius that is supposed to be in the
central part of this image. I can't really distinguish it from all those
background stars though...

Date May 25 2011
Object NGC 6421
Optics ASA 12" Astrograph bei 1069mm Brennweite
Camera Atik 383, Baader LRGB
Exposure 6x10m Lum, 3x10m RGB each
Mount ASA DDM85
Location Namibia, Tivoli farm

http://ccd-astronomy.de/temp6/6421coloursmallgut.jpg

Stefan

For something like this I always head to the NGC Project website.
http://www.ngcicproject.org/ Click the lower right box then select the
range and then the object's button. While it is called the NGC/IC
project the IC side was never really started. The site is no longer
updated so doubt that it ever will be

This is what they have to say.

NGC 6421 is a brighter patch in the Milky Way that matches JH's
description and sketch pretty well. His position is pretty good, too.
Note, however, that the NGC description (taken from GC) is wrong. The
correct description, from the CGH Observations, should read something
like "Cl, vL, r, connected to Milky Way." I suspect that the NGC
description was copied by mistake from the CGH entry for h3702 = N6416.

There is also a prime symbol missing from the 3702 in the JH column in
the NGC. Neither this object nor N6415 were numbered in the CGH
Observations, and JH does not have a note for either in GC indicating
why he entered them there. Dreyer copied the entries unchanged into
NGC, also without notes.

So like M24, it is just an area of the Milky Way rather than a real open
cluster. You did capture it.

Rick