Vandenberg AFB runway mods for shuttle

Old September 22nd 04, 03:33 AM
Allen Thomson

Default Vandenberg AFB runway mods for shuttle

Interesting. Note large turn-around at north end, the long length, and
the tow-out path at the south.

http://www.naco.faa.gov/content/naco...ms/00770AD.PDF
Old September 22nd 04, 06:51 AM
Rusty Barton

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 22:35:43 -0700, Rusty Barton
wrote:

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 23:59:13 -0400, Jud McCranie
wrote:

On 21 Sep 2004 19:33:48 -0700, (Allen Thomson)
wrote:

Interesting. Note large turn-around at north end, the long length, and
the tow-out path at the south.

About 15 years ago I knew an officer in the USAF who said that shuttle
launches were made from Vandenberg. I think there were plans to do
that, but none have been launched from there right?

They didn't launch a shuttle from Vandenberg AFB, but they did erect
the shuttle Enterprise on the SLC-6 launch pad for a fit check in
1985.

For some great pictures of the Enterprise at Vandenberg, look at these
web pages:

http://www.angelfire.com/fl/Jacqmans...prisevafb.html

http://www.ktb.net/~billmeco/Slc6a.html

http://www.ktb.net/~billmeco/Slc6.html

http://www.ktb.net/~billmeco/Slc62.html

http://www.ktb.net/~billmeco/Slc63.html

http://www.ktb.net/~billmeco/Slc64.html

http://www.spaceistheplace.ca/vanden01.jpg

Here's info about the SLC-6 Vandenberg launch site;

http://www.airpower.maxwell.af.mil/a...oct/sloan.html

http://www.globalsecurity.org/space/.../sts_slc-6.htm

The shuttle Discovery was also transported to Vandenberg in 1983 for
a various fit checks.

More pictures of Enterprise at Vandenberg SLC-6:

http://www.cloudster.com/RealHardware/Slc6/SLC-6Top.htm

http://www.capcomespace.net/dossiers...enterprise.jpg

http://www.cloudster.com/RealHardware/Slc6/SLC608.jpg

http://www.capcomespace.net/dossiers...%20shuttle.jpg

http://www.aero.org/publications/cro..._sidebar1.html

- Rusty Barton

Old September 22nd 04, 03:46 PM
Rusty B

(Allen Thomson) wrote in message . com...
Interesting. Note large turn-around at north end, the long length, and
the tow-out path at the south.

http://www.naco.faa.gov/content/naco...ms/00770AD.PDF

Here's a link to a Terraserver photo of the Vandenberg AFB runway.
All of those features are visible on the photo:

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/ima...=2404&z=10&w=2

-Rusty Barton
Old September 22nd 04, 08:03 PM
Allen Thomson

(Rusty B) wrote in message news:373a0bc9.0409220646.c33fabe@

Here's a link to a Terraserver photo of the Vandenberg AFB runway.
All of those features are visible on the photo:

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/ima...=2404&z=10&w=2

Thanks! I confess that my modest photointerpretation skills
would not have spotted the peculiar features in the picture
without the annotated diagram as a crib.
Old September 23rd 04, 06:48 AM
OM

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 20:56:44 GMT, Bruce Palmer
wrote:

In the photo above, what was the exact location where [REDACTED] was put in the
straitjacket?

....Do not mention Satan, and neither he or his [REDACTED] will appear.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr

Vandenberg AFB runway mods for shuttle Allen Thomson Space Shuttle 2 September 22nd 04 08:03 PM
Vandenberg AFB Launches Brian Webb Satellites 0 September 4th 04 11:50 PM
Viewing Vandenberg Rocket Launches Brian Webb Amateur Astronomy 0 September 4th 04 04:42 AM
Space Shuttle ypauls Misc 3 March 15th 04 02:12 AM
Atlas V Vandenberg Pad ed kyle Policy 2 December 2nd 03 06:42 AM