What are Armstrong and Collins Up To These Days?

Old July 13th 04, 06:10 AM
Jim Oberg

Default What are Armstrong and Collins Up To These Days?

Re Apollo-11 -- I know what Buzz is busy with,
but are there any public projects that
neil and mike are currently involved in?

jim O

Old July 13th 04, 02:02 PM
Bill Taxbox

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 05:10:33 GMT, "Jim Oberg"
wrote:

Re Apollo-11 -- I know what Buzz is busy with,
but are there any public projects that
neil and mike are currently involved in?

jim O

Well Mike is doing a lot of fishing and basically separated from
Pat........married in name only, I hear
Old July 13th 04, 04:08 PM
Michael Cassutt

Re Apollo-11 -- I know what Buzz is busy with,
but are there any public projects that
neil and mike are currently involved in?

Armstrong is cooperating with an authorized biography being written by a
historian -- the book is supposed to be complete by the end of 2004. It's
already been bought for the movies by Clint Eastwood's Malpaso Productions.

Michael Cassutt
Old July 15th 04, 11:34 PM
Kevin Willoughby

In article , cass54
@aol.com says...
Armstrong is cooperating with an authorized biography being written by a
historian -- the book is supposed to be complete by the end of 2004. It's
already been bought for the movies by Clint Eastwood's Malpaso Productions.

Is it going to be better than One Giant Leap?
--
Kevin Willoughby lid

Imagine that, a FROG ON-OFF switch, hardly the work
for test pilots. -- Mike Collins
Old July 16th 04, 01:52 AM
Michael Cassutt

Is it going to be better than One Giant Leap?

We'll just have to wait and see. The author is James Hansen, nominated for a
Pulitzer Prize. That's all I know.

Michael Cassutt
Old July 16th 04, 07:30 PM
Ami Silberman

"Kevin Willoughby" wrote in message
In article , cass54
@aol.com says...
Armstrong is cooperating with an authorized biography being written by a
historian -- the book is supposed to be complete by the end of 2004.

It's
already been bought for the movies by Clint Eastwood's Malpaso

Productions.

Is it going to be better than One Giant Leap?
--

It would be hard not to be. One Giant Leap is an OK book. It gave me a lot
more insight into Armstrong's life, his background etc., but is light on his

Old July 17th 04, 02:45 AM
Kevin Willoughby

In article , says...
"Kevin Willoughby" wrote in message
Is it going to be better than One Giant Leap?

It would be hard not to be. One Giant Leap is an OK book.

You are more generous than me. The book is just a notch above "lousy,
sorry I wasted my time reading it".

It gave me a lot
more insight into Armstrong's life, his background etc.,

But little insight to the man and what makes him tick.

but is light on his
actual astronautic career.

Quite light. He seems to have just decided to, one fine day, fly the X-
15. No training needed. Just strap it on and go.

How can someone write a biography of a NASA astronaut without ever
mentioning time in the simulator? Wasn't Armstrong's experimental work
in manual flight control of the Saturn V worth at least a paragraph??

Although better than Moon Shot, there are enough factual errors that the
book can't be used as a historical reference:
"One last chore [after Apollo 11's EVA] on the moon was dumping more
gear to lighten ascent weight load, including the portable life-support
backpacks [...] Through the open portal, they bade the moon farewell,
wondering if they would ever return, and chucked the two backpacks.
Perhaps the accident was caused by the lack of sleep, or just luck
catching up with men who had worked a long complex 'daisy chain' with
nothing going wrong. The huge television audience watched it happen. The
second of the backpacks flew out of the narrow hatch, seemed to catch
momentarily on the door, and, in slow-motion, cleanly sheared off what
looked to be a switch of some sort. It was in fact the circuit breaker
through which the power was to flow the ascent engine."