OOOOOHHH!

Old May 20th 04, 03:05 PM
Alan Erskine

Default OOOOOHHH!

http://groups.msn.com/SpaceCowboySaloon Fantastic site!

--
Alan Erskine
We can get people to the Moon in five years,
not the fifteen GWB proposes.
Give NASA a real challenge

Old May 20th 04, 03:21 PM
Neil Gerace

"Alan Erskine" wrote in message
http://groups.msn.com/SpaceCowboySaloon Fantastic site!

Sounds like that IGY Satellite was grossly overengineered, if it survived a
first-stage failure

Old May 20th 04, 03:49 PM
Alan Erskine

"Neil Gerace" wrote in message
u...

"Alan Erskine" wrote in message
http://groups.msn.com/SpaceCowboySaloon Fantastic site!

Sounds like that IGY Satellite was grossly overengineered, if it survived

first-stage failure

Yeah, I've never seen pickies of it after the 'flight', but it apparently
was still beeping away quite happily...

Old May 20th 04, 05:45 PM
Pat Flannery

Alan Erskine wrote:

http://groups.msn.com/SpaceCowboySaloon Fantastic site!

Somebody may want to inform them that 500,000 feet is not 500 miles:
http://groups.msn.com/SpaceCowboySal...0dynasoar.msnw
(look at flight profile graph and read description in text.)

Pat

Old May 20th 04, 08:21 PM
OM

On Thu, 20 May 2004 11:45:53 -0500, Pat Flannery
wrote:

The Supposedly Real Alan Erskine wrote:

http://groups.msn.com/SpaceCowboySaloon Fantastic site!

...Aren't you dead or something?

Somebody may want to inform them that 500,000 feet is not 500 miles:
http://groups.msn.com/SpaceCowboySal...0dynasoar.msnw
(look at flight profile graph and read description in text.)

....At the same time, since when did Laika mean "barker"?
http://groups.msn.com/SpaceCowboySal...andenosuc.msnw
IIRC, wasn't it confirmed it was Rossia Yazik for "bitch" around these
parts long ago?

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old May 20th 04, 10:58 PM
Allen Thomson

Pat Flannery wrote

Alan Erskine wrote:

http://groups.msn.com/SpaceCowboySaloon Fantastic site!

Somebody may want to inform them that 500,000 feet is not 500 miles:
http://groups.msn.com/SpaceCowboySal...0dynasoar.msnw
(look at flight profile graph and read description in text.)

Also how to spell detente. Actually, aside from the kilofeet/miles
mix-up in the caption, the flight profile graph is pretty good.
Old May 21st 04, 03:25 AM
Allen Thomson

OM om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org wrote in message . ..

...At the same time, since when did Laika mean "barker"?

IIRC, wasn't it confirmed it was Rossia Yazik for "bitch" around these
parts long ago?

I wouldn't want to testify to matters pertaining to subtle aspects
of Russian useage, but Laika does come from "laiat'", "to bark."
"Suka" is the usual word for "bitch" and is used in all of the
ways it is in English, and more. Russian can be quite colorful.
Old May 21st 04, 10:05 AM
OM

On 20 May 2004 19:25:54 -0700, (Allen Thomson)
wrote:

OM om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org wrote in message . ..

...At the same time, since when did Laika mean "barker"?

IIRC, wasn't it confirmed it was Rossia Yazik for "bitch" around these
parts long ago?

I wouldn't want to testify to matters pertaining to subtle aspects
of Russian useage, but Laika does come from "laiat'", "to bark."
"Suka" is the usual word for "bitch" and is used in all of the
ways it is in English, and more. Russian can be quite colorful.

....Here's another monkey wrench to throw in this one: My sexy little
Russian immgrant waitress friend, Alieta(*), confirmed that both
definitions for "laika" were correct. Apparently it's a twist of words
and translations, where as when your old lady chews your ass out for
coming home late, she's "barking" or "bitching" at you. It's the same
as the term "protroodnik", which comes from "protrood", which can mean
either what we in the Navy called "Irish Pennants" or a stray thread,
or can also mean "cigarette" because of the Limey slang term for a
smoke, which also happens to be the short form of the American
derogatorial metaphor for a homosexual, which explains what a
"protroodnik" is in a really roundabout way.

And you thought their inventing new words by compressing entire
sentences to three syllables was confusing enough...

(*) No, really, that's her name, although all the other waitresses
call her Sputnik. The fact that I knew *both* sources of her name
endeared me to her in really short time.

OM

--

"No ******* ever won a war by dying for |
http://www.io.com/~o_m

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old May 21st 04, 02:24 PM
Pat Flannery

OM wrote:

(*) No, really, that's her name, although all the other waitresses
call her Sputnik. The fact that I knew *both* sources of her name
endeared me to her in really short time.

NUCLEAR-POWERED SOVIET-SPACE-SLUT ZOMBIE FROM THE "RED RUSSIAN PLANET"
MARS!
RUN!!!....BEFORE HER DREAD BALALAIKA BOOB BLASTER BEAMS STRIKE YOU DOWN,
AND YOU BECOME YET ANOTHER SEX-STARVED SLAVE-STUD OF THE MALICIOUS (but,
oh...so delicious!) MUSCOVITE MARS MAIDENS!
DO _NOT_ BE LED ASTRAY...WEAR LEAD UNDERWEAR AND PRAY!!!! :-)

Pat

Old May 21st 04, 02:45 PM
OM

On Fri, 21 May 2004 08:24:49 -0500, Pat Flannery
wrote:

DO _NOT_ BE LED ASTRAY...WEAR LEAD UNDERWEAR AND PRAY!!!! :-)

....Actually, she's a pretty nice gal. Blows my mind to think that when
she was growing up in the Soviet Union, I was training to turn her
into a pillar of salt and her homeland into a series of glassed-over
parking lots.

Go figure.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr