ASTRO: KPG118 (NGC 2274 and 2275)

Old October 12th 13, 07:00 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: KPG118 (NGC 2274 and 2275)

KPG 118 is a pair of galaxies, NGC 2274 and NGC 2275. A note at NED
says of this pair "The ASC and NED agree assigning type E to this galaxy
(NGC 2274). According to Karachentseva (1973) this object, together with
NGC 2275, is a member of an isolated pair of galaxies (KPG 118)."
Problem is there's a third galaxy at the same redshift a bit to the
west, UGC 3537, making it a triple system cataloged as WBL 121 and to
really complicate things NED lists the galaxy group LDCE 0468 at
virtually the same redshift and shows it as containing 12 galaxies. I
have no idea which those 12 are. Only 4 with similar redshift is shown
in my image. In fact none of the other galaxies in the image have a
redshift listed at NED. Most aren't listed at all. Those that are
without redshift are all from the 2MASS catalog of IR sources. I've
labeled them in the annotated image. In any case, I don't understand
calling KPG 118 an "isolated pair."

NGC 2275 is listed as S? at NED and Sab at the NGC project. It seems
highly distorted but NGC 2274 appears pretty normal. So I am uncertain
if they are interacting or not. There does appear to be a hint of a
bridge between the two embedded in the outer halo of NGC 2275 but it is
very indistinct to me. The barred spiral UGC 3537 is listed as SBcd:.
The bar is rather indistinct. Its arms form a ring like structure about
its small core.

The only other galaxy of note in the image is from the 2MASS flat galaxy
catalog, 2MFGC 05420. It wasn't flat enough for the true flat galaxy
catalog however. At least it isn't listed there. Still it is quite a
nice edge on thin galaxy.

There's one other NGC object in the image, NGC 2277. This catalog was
prepared during the era of visual astronomy. Human vision is prone to
errors. NGC 2277 is one such error. It is just an asterism of 5 stars.
Here is what the NGC Project has to say about it: "NGC 2277 is an
asterism of five faint stars. It was found by d'A as he reobserved the
interesting area containing NGC 2274, 2275, and the NGC 2290 group.
Apparently observing on a poor night, or anxious to increase the number
of nebulae in the area, he also found three other asterisms here (NGC
2278, 2284, and 2285, which see). - Dr. Harold G. Corwin, Jr." NGC 2290
and its companions, 2288 and 2299 lie about 46 minutes of arc east of my
field of view. d'A is short for Heinrich Louis d'Arrest (1822-1875).
The NGC 2290 group is still on my to-do list thanks to this years lousy
weather.

Rick
--
Prefix is correct. Domain is arvig dot net

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC2274L8X10RGB2X10.JPG
Views:	291
Size:	340.3 KB
ID:	4785  Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC2274L8X10RGB2X10ID.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	247.6 KB
ID:	4786  Click image for larger version

Name:	NGC2274L8X10RGB2X10CROP125.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	4787

Old October 14th 13, 02:49 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

There's a lot more detail to be had in this field. Seeing was my usual
lousy of late. Data was too thin for deconvolution though I doubt that
would have helped much.

Rick