Apollo 8

Old December 21st 08, 10:49 PM posted to sci.space.history
[email protected]

Default Apollo 8

You could argue that Apollo 8 was the first mission that actually _went_
anywhere.
And Apollo 17 was the last.
Old December 22nd 08, 03:39 AM posted to sci.space.history
Scott M. Kozel[_2_]

"Alan Erskine" wrote:

"Al" wrote in message

The most important Apollo mission of them all launched 40 years ago
today.

I would have thought the landing was more important.

Apollo 8 was the first time that man left the Earth and visited
another heavenly body. Manned space missions before that were in low
Earth orbit.
Old December 22nd 08, 07:10 AM posted to sci.space.history
Alan Erskine[_2_]

"Scott M. Kozel" wrote in message

Apollo 8 was the first time that man left the Earth and visited
another heavenly body. Manned space missions before that were in low
Earth orbit.

Apollo 8 was intended to be LEO, but the mission was expanded not just
because of the Soviet 'threat', but also because of what Von Braun said -
"There's not much difference between using the third stage in LEO and going
to the Moon" (not a direct quote).

He was right. Afterall, it had to be done some time before a manned landing
was attempted.

So, if not on A8, then which mission would have attempted to go all the way
to the Moon?

Old December 22nd 08, 12:18 PM posted to sci.space.history
Scott M. Kozel[_2_]

"Alan Erskine" wrote:

"Scott M. Kozel" wrote

Apollo 8 was the first time that man left the Earth and visited
another heavenly body. Manned space missions before that were in low
Earth orbit.

Apollo 8 was intended to be LEO, but the mission was expanded not just
because of the Soviet 'threat', but also because of what Von Braun said -
"There's not much difference between using the third stage in LEO and going
to the Moon" (not a direct quote).

With regard to physics, that is generally true. Psychologically and
societially, it was a huge step to another world.
Old December 22nd 08, 12:40 PM posted to sci.space.history
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Scott M. Kozel" wrote in message
"Alan Erskine" wrote:

"Scott M. Kozel" wrote

Apollo 8 was the first time that man left the Earth and visited
another heavenly body. Manned space missions before that were in low
Earth orbit.

Apollo 8 was intended to be LEO, but the mission was expanded not just
because of the Soviet 'threat', but also because of what Von Braun said -
"There's not much difference between using the third stage in LEO and
going
to the Moon" (not a direct quote).

With regard to physics, that is generally true. Psychologically and
societially, it was a huge step to another world.

And it ignores the fact that getting OUT of lunar orbit was a huge step.

A fly-by is one thing. Entering lunar orbit and safely exiting was a huge
step.

--
Greg Moore
Ask me about lily, an RPI based CMC.

Old December 22nd 08, 03:39 PM posted to sci.space.history
[email protected]

Apollo 8 was the first time that man left the Earth and visited
another heavenly body. Manned space missions before that were in low
Earth orbit.

Sadly TODAY we are completely unable to do it again And given the
current NASA plans including Ares wouldnt be able to forever..........

Old December 22nd 08, 08:25 PM posted to sci.space.history
ablo[_2_]

" wrote in news:

Sadly TODAY we are completely unable to do it again And given the
current NASA plans including Ares wouldnt be able to forever..........

Yeah well, this isn't the same country we had then either. If you want to
be poetic, the seeds of our nation's demise were being sowed during those
years.
Old December 22nd 08, 09:51 PM posted to sci.space.history
Scott M. Kozel[_2_]

" wrote:

Apollo 8 was the first time that man left the Earth and visited
another heavenly body. Manned space missions before that were in low
Earth orbit.

Sadly TODAY we are completely unable to do it again And given the
current NASA plans including Ares wouldnt be able to forever..........

Obviously we could do it again, if we were willing to spend the
money .....

Old December 22nd 08, 09:55 PM posted to sci.space.history
Scott M. Kozel[_2_]

"Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)" wrote:

"Scott M. Kozel" wrote

With regard to physics, that is generally true. *Psychologically and
societially, it was a huge step to another world.

And it ignores the fact that getting OUT of lunar orbit was a huge step.

A fly-by is one thing. *Entering lunar orbit and safely exiting was a huge
step.

Indeed, 4 major new steps -- escape from Earth orbit, entry into lunar
orbit, escape from lunar orbit, and re-entry to Earth at close to
escape velocity.

Old December 23rd 08, 01:41 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

ablo wrote:
If you want to
be poetic, the seeds of our nation's demise were being sowed during those
years.

The pigs were eating them?
Man, Abbie Hoffman was right...it was those damn pigs that did it! :-)

Pat