Chinks in Space

Old October 16th 03, 05:49 AM
Alan Erskine

Default Chinks in Space

So how long before the Internation Space Station is infected with SARS and AIDS?

--
Alan Erskine
alanerskine(at)optusnet.com.au

The U.S. Government is in the
peculiar position of toppling foreign
governments in the name of democracy.

Oh, how democractic!
Old October 16th 03, 05:58 AM
JazzMan

Default Chinks in Space (forgery, troll, please don't respond,please let it die, folks)

An obvious troll forgery. Nothing to see here, folks,
move along...

JazzMan

Please reply to jsavage"at"airmail.net.
Curse those darned bulk e-mailers!
Old October 16th 03, 07:37 AM
Pat Flannery

JazzMan wrote:

An obvious troll forgery. Nothing to see here, folks,
move along...

JazzMan

Damn...I'll bet the ISS crew was just getting into the hope of having
some really decent food shipped up;
General Tso's Chicken...YUM!
(I just made the terrible mistake of looking up the spelling of that
dish on the web...now I am quite literally salivating like one of
Pavlov's dogs. Someday I have to try the REAL Chinese recipes; not the
ones that are cast before the the naive palates of we foolish barbarians!)

Pat

Old October 16th 03, 10:39 AM
OM

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 01:37:45 -0500, Pat Flannery
wrote:

General Tso's Chicken...YUM!

....You know, here's one I've never seen the answer to - who the hell
was General Tso, and if he was a general why the **** was he cooking
his own chicken instead of a private chef?

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old October 16th 03, 11:04 AM
Pat Flannery

OM wrote:

...You know, here's one I've never seen the answer to - who the hell
was General Tso, and if he was a general why the **** was he cooking
his own chicken instead of a private chef?

OM

Next you will ask where Beef Wellington came from, barbarian round eye!
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp...9302-2002Apr16

Pat

Old October 17th 03, 06:00 AM
Tao Tong

wrote:

General Tso's Chicken...YUM!

...You know, here's one I've never seen the answer to - who the hell
was General Tso, and if he was a general why the **** was he cooking
his own chicken instead of a private chef?

OM

Suppose some restaurant chef wants to associate a dish with a dignitary to
give it some tint of glory.

General Tso is a famous general in China about a hundread years ago. He
prevented the separation of East Turkestan (Xinjiang) from China during
1800s when China was badly beaten by the Western powers. The job is
regarded as almost impossible because the Chinese govenment was on the
verge of collapse then. His name in Pinyin is "Zuo Zongtang". Tso is
Wade-Giles spelling for "Zuo". I think he has nothing to do with the dish.

--
Tao Tong
Old October 17th 03, 12:15 PM
Martin Postranecky

Default China plans station in space for the Great Leap Skyward

THE TIMES
October 17, 2003

China plans station in space for the Great Leap Skyward
By Oliver August

As China's first man in space returned to cheering crowds yesterday,
Beijing announced plans for a permanent space laboratory manned by Chinese
scientists in competition with the US-Russian station.

"The maiden manned spaceflight is the first step of China's space
programme," said Xie Mingbao, a leading engineer. The next stage would be
a space station, he said.

The announcement hints at the country's growing confidence following the
successful launch of the Shenzhou 5, which has triggered feverish interest
across China. "Great Leap Skyward," the China Daily newspaper enthused.

/...snip.../

Despite its many plans for further space exploration, China has ruled out
building an American-style space shuttle. It also disputed foreign
estimates of the cost involved in building and launching the craft,
claiming the price tag was a mere £1.5 billion. Western analysts have
suggested the 11-year programme will so far have cost China close to £13
billion.

Mr Xie said 60 per cent of China's budget was spent on "consumable
equipment" such as rocket boosters, while 40 per cent paid for control
centres and other "technology infrastructure that can be used on future
missions".

But despite talk of a permanent space laboratory China has no plans to
rush back to the cosmos. Space officials said the next manned flight was a
year or two away. On the list for future flights are spacewalks and
exercises in docking two spacecraft.