Ronald Reagan mostly responsible for the space shuttle challenger tragedy. Gotta beat those Ruskies

Old June 30th 04, 04:29 PM
Sander Vesik

In sci.space.shuttle Herb Schaltegger wrote:
In article ,
"Scott Hedrick" wrote:

Please do not lecture me about English; I majored in the subject.

More secret stuff, eh?

Obviously it's secret, Scott. Don't you remember a few weeks ago when
"LaDonna" first dropped in she claimed to be a junior at Wichita State?
So why, then, is she using the past tense: "majored"?

she might have managed to drop out in the interweaning time...

Just more lies from "LaLiar."

nah, just LaTroll

--
Sander

+++ Out of cheese error +++
Old June 30th 04, 09:44 PM
Scott Hedrick

"Sander Vesik" wrote in message
she might have managed to drop out in the interweaning time...

Just more lies from "LaLiar."

Gooooooooal!

Old July 2nd 04, 06:00 AM
Stuf4

From Peter Stickney:

(LaDonna Wyss) writes:

I have absolutely no clue what you're talking about; so you're saying
the two of you had a meeting and he couldn't answer your questions?

Not a face-to-face meeting, but a public network series of
conversations much as we are now. CT blew in much as you have -
making (at best) statements and analysis contrary to known facts, and
full of bluster about subjects that he/she/it clearly did _not_ know
as much about as he/she/it thought that it did. (I will use "He" to
refer to Stuffie in all further references in this thread, but
Stuffies true gender is undetermined and irrelevant)
In this particular case, he made a number of claims concerning a
subject that I certainly have more experience with - to whit, the Safe
Ejection Envelope of the Ejection Seats used in high performance
aircraft. I posed a question to him, and offered to provide the
source material that should have allowe him to either:
1. Back up the claim that such information to answer the question was
as easily determined as he claimed.
2. Admit that the solution to the problem wasn't as deterministic as
he had contended.

(I note that he followed up later in this threasd (Weekly killfile
audit) His account is not complete, or particularly accurate.
In particular, he missed the part where, over the course of 5 days, 7
attempts were made to E-mail him with the source material. He refused
to open it (Receipt indicators and the logs of the household SMTP
and NNTP servers back this up, and he apparently went to the point of
stuffing his own mailbox to capacity to avoid receipt if any data.)
He didn't mention _that_ part. I'm not surprised.

I'm not aware of any need to send an email 5 times in 7 days (when I
send an email, I send it once and then wait for a response).

Forum members who have gotten prompt responses to their emails to me
(sometimes with attachments in excess of 1Mb) know how accessible I
am.

Other options for making graphs and charts available is to post them
to a website or to use simple file transfer methods, both of which I
have used myself at various times in the past to make large files
available to the entire forum.

Test or no test, the original point remains:

A highly experienced pilot has a general awareness of when they are in
or out of the ejection envelope.

That was merely the culmination of a number of excahanges concerning
ridiculous, unsupportable, absurd, and in some cases, downright
slanderous contentions he'd put forward up to that time. The other
points mentioned refer to teh highlegts of some of them.

Or did you folks just try to "corner" him in here and he chose not to
respond? Those are two different things, you know.

Nope - a simple quiz. Anybody with his claimed expertise would have
either known the answers, or been able to find them. When the bet was
called he folded. Or, more to the point -
He activated Jammers, popped flares & started jinking (If in the air)
He popped smoke & ran (On the ground)
Or, perhaps, so sum up, he inked & ran away, in emulation of other
molluscs.

(Again, archives are available for independent assessment.)

~ CT
Old July 2nd 04, 07:12 AM
Christopher M. Jones

Jonathan Silverlight wrote:
In message , P. Maxson
writes
"Andrew Gray" wrote in message
. ..
**snipped for brevity**

Here in Sacto the "convenient" gas stations ask for your zip code after
you swipe your plastic which I am OK with although it could be better.

That's part of the address verification system. There
are variable levels. It's use is, usually, at the
discretion of the merchant. Typical address verification
uses the digits in your street address and your zip code,
though you can do a partial check as well. This isn't
much of a check though as these numbers are not all that
secret, but it's one of those extra steps that makes it
just that slightly more difficult to commit credit card
fraud, so on the whole it's worth it.

I wish they'd thought of that over here (UK). Much more memorable than
some PIN. I suppose the problem is that we have a postcode made up of
letters and numbers, which you can't key into a till or keypad.

That's not much of a problem. Lot's of keypads can do
alphanumeric entry. For example, many states in the US
have license numbers which contain letters. Most of the
big and/or modern merchants have systems that work with
this. The biggest problem with this is that zip codes
are big and not too difficult to guess. Banks have
started to switch to newer systems such as CVV2, which is
more or less a hack of the address verification system
only using an individualized short numeric code.

However, there are limitations on how secure you can make
credit cards as they currently exist. The basic premises
of the credit card system, especially in terms of
information protection and client/merchant trust, are
outmoded and haven't scaled well to the way the use of
credit and debit cards has grown. Eventually it will need
to be replaced with a much more robust system devised with
modern technologies in data security and encryption in
mind, until then we just have to live with it.
Old July 2nd 04, 07:37 AM
Stuf4

From Jim Davis:
LaDonna Wyss wrote:

Where do you get that? I have yet to see CT get "abusive."

Pay closer attention, LaDonna. In the very post of his I was
responding to he equates disagreement with him to belief in a flat
Earth. Hardly a post of his doesn't express similar sentiments.

I presented a simile ("like") and this immediately gets transformed
into "equates".

If two things are similar in a certain aspect, that is far from
constraining the two to being equal.

~ CT
Old July 2nd 04, 08:14 AM
OM

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 01:12:13 -0500, "Christopher M. Jones"
wrote:

However, there are limitations on how secure you can make
credit cards as they currently exist. The basic premises
of the credit card system, especially in terms of
information protection and client/merchant trust, are
outmoded and haven't scaled well to the way the use of
credit and debit cards has grown. Eventually it will need
to be replaced with a much more robust system devised with
modern technologies in data security and encryption in
mind, until then we just have to live with it.

....If any one thing needs to be added to the credit card to make it
secure against theft, it's that Federal law needs to make it
mandantory that the owner's mug shot needs to be on it, and that any
purchase over $50 needs to be visually verified by a cashier. Had such
a system been in place, those two ghetto thugs who robbed me at
gunpoint in '02 by the Outpost Saloon (*) would have been caught when
they rang up that $50 of gas after the holdup.

(*) Not to be meant as a detriment to those fine folks. Later this
summer I'll be going down there again to do a full photo shoot of the
wall decor and post it on OMworld for all to see.
OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old July 2nd 04, 06:55 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , OM
om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org writes
wrote:

[...]

Pictures on credit cards have been tried and they don't work, AFAIK.
Old July 2nd 04, 11:05 PM
Andrew Gray

On 2004-07-02, Jonathan Silverlight
wrote:

...If any one thing needs to be added to the credit card to make it
secure against theft, it's that Federal law needs to make it
mandantory that the owner's mug shot needs to be on it, and that any
purchase over $50 needs to be visually verified by a cashier. Had such
a system been in place, those two ghetto thugs who robbed me at
gunpoint in '02 by the Outpost Saloon (*) would have been caught when
they rang up that $50 of gas after the holdup.

Pictures on credit cards have been tried and they don't work, AFAIK.

They seem to work reasonably well on debit cards; certainly my nice
shiny Switch card has benefited from it [1], and to the best of my
knowledge RBoS still like to issue them; I don't know numbers, but their
card services people seem to think it's a net plus.

[1] Wallet lifted; photoless Visa got £200 ran on it, photocarded Switch
(with the capacity of doing me a lot more damage) unused.

--
-Andrew Gray