Collier's Space Fight Series April 30 1954

Old April 30th 04, 07:18 PM
Al Jackson

Default Collier's Space Fight Series April 30 1954

Today marks an important date in space flight. It was 50 years ago
(April 30, 1954) that the last issue of the Collier's von Braun, et
al. series came to an end. That issue had the articles Can We Get to
Mars? and Is There Life on Mars. It was also a visual realization of
von Braun's amazing Das Mars Projekt, brought to life by artists
Chesley Bonestell, Fred Freeman and Rolf Klep. The series spanned the
years 1952 to 1954.
This series had a profound effect on a whole generation of young
people who went on to space flight in their adult life.

http://home.flash.net/~aajiv/bd/colliers.html
Old April 30th 04, 08:11 PM
Pat Flannery

Al Jackson wrote:

I have added to the article I wrote about this series :

http://home.flash.net/~aajiv/bd/colliers.html

Speaking of which, whatever became of David Sander's MCS project? I
haven't heard anything much on that since the computer crash.

Pat

Old May 1st 04, 02:23 PM
Mike Flugennock

(Al Jackson) wrote:

Today marks an important date in space flight. It was 50 years ago
(April 30, 1954) that the last issue of the Collier's von Braun, et
al. series came to an end. That issue had the articles Can We Get to
Mars? and Is There Life on Mars. It was also a visual realization of
von Braun's amazing Das Mars Projekt, brought to life by artists
Chesley Bonestell, Fred Freeman and Rolf Klep. The series spanned the
years 1952 to 1954.
This series had a profound effect on a whole generation of young
people who went on to space flight in their adult life.

I have added to the article I wrote about this series :

http://home.flash.net/~aajiv/bd/colliers.html

That Bonestell cover art is really intense (and I don't even recall that
particular one); it's incredible how he nailed the appearance of Earth
from orbit. He's got the color, the cloud patterns, the horizon,
everything damn' near perfect, almost like any Earth observation shot from
Mercury or Gemini. And what a great staging view. The actual hardware
turned out to be way different, of course, but that staging view is damn'
near dead-nuts-on.

Actually, one other thing I'm wondering...is the release date of the
Warner Bros/Looney Tunes cartoon -- directed by Chuck Jones iirc --
telling the story of a guy whose wife goes into the hospital to have their
baby, a "cosmic force" is disturbed, and a Martian baby winds up being
delivered to them, while their own baby is born on Mars. I'm thinking that
particular LT masterpiece may have been released about the same time as
all the big interest in the Collier's/von Braun articles.

--
"All over, people changing their votes,
along with their overcoats;
Old May 1st 04, 03:45 PM
Pat Flannery

Mike Flugennock wrote:

That Bonestell cover art is really intense (and I don't even recall that
particular one); it's incredible how he nailed the appearance of Earth
from orbit. He's got the color, the cloud patterns, the horizon,
everything damn' near perfect, almost like any Earth observation shot from
Mercury or Gemini. And what a great staging view. The actual hardware
turned out to be way different, of course, but that staging view is damn'
near dead-nuts-on.

I dug out my copy of that book, and you are right; that is a _very_ good
representation of the Earth as seen from orbit.
The staging view got criticized by von Braun in that it showed the
engine nozzles on the spent stage glowing red after shutdown.
WvB assured him that no good engineer would let that happen.
Of course when the Saturn V staged, the first stage engine nozzles would
glow for a few seconds after shutdown.

Pat

Old May 1st 04, 07:45 PM
Henry Spencer

Pat Flannery wrote:
The staging view got criticized by von Braun in that it showed the
engine nozzles on the spent stage glowing red after shutdown.
WvB assured him that no good engineer would let that happen.
Of course when the Saturn V staged, the first stage engine nozzles would
glow for a few seconds after shutdown.

That was leftover propellants burning, rather than the nozzles themselves
glowing.

However, the old Ariane nozzles glowed from shortly after ignition to a
little while after cutoff... The Viking engines, unusually for large
rocket engines, were not regeneratively cooled.
--
MOST launched 30 June; science observations running | Henry Spencer
since Oct; first surprises seen; papers pending. |
Old May 2nd 04, 12:38 AM
Pat Flannery

Henry Spencer wrote:

However, the old Ariane nozzles glowed from shortly after ignition to a
little while after cutoff... The Viking engines, unusually for large
rocket engines, were not regeneratively cooled.

I should have known better than doubt WvB! :-[
I remember that shot that Ariane used in one of their ads where you can
see the motor nozzles glowing as the strap-ons are jettisoned (the photo
was taken by a camera mounted in one of the strap-ons.)
The Delta II's second-stage motor nozzle glows in this footage taken by
a Rocketcam:
http://www.spaceflightnow.com/delta/...6onsep_qt.html

Pat

Old May 2nd 04, 04:27 AM
David Sander

Pat Flannery wrote:

Speaking of which, whatever became of David Sander's MCS project? I
haven't heard anything much on that since the computer crash.

I'm still alive and working hard.

Too hard, actually - things like (for example) a) the website; and b)
having something of a life (including frequenting s.s.h.) have become
far lower priorities than the job in hand (and now my doctor says I
should take a month off and go on a cruise to better my health - har har
.... pity he didn't want to pay for it).

As it stands, the drive crash set me back about 6 months and somewhere
between $60,000 and $70,000 in R&D and finished material, not counting
my time. Even if an insurance company paid for it, no amount of money
could bring back the stuff that's gone, so worrying about it is a waste
of time and energy. I'm battling on, is all that matters.

MCS is making haste slowly, simply because it is going through the
process of chasing backing. The drums are beating, and quite a number of
proposals have been sent out and meetings taken place. By my reckoning,
we're about halfway through the process, though any one of the
interested parties could phone me tomorrow and say "we're going for it".
In the meantime, I'm furnishing co-producers with whatever they need,
speaking to whomever I can, and agitating as much as I can while trying
to maintain all the mundane place-to-live and food-on-the-table responsibilities.

Stuff is still getting made, all the material that doesn't require
people is still being worked on, and I'm filling external hard after
external hard drive with material.

Yes, I've missed anniversaries of particular events, and I must confess
to being a little disappointed in that, but I don't want to rush this
thing through only to produce something half-arsed that is going to be a
disappointment for people.

There actually *will* be a fairly reasonable website update within the
next few weeks, as I spent a little time just the other day going
through it (making sure just enough was there for the sake of a
prospective interest group), and thinking that some more stuff could
stand to be released.

David
--
per aspera ad astra
Old May 2nd 04, 01:25 PM
Mark

Incidentally, someone is working on implementing the Collier's ships
in Orbiter:

http://orbit.m6.net/v2/read.asp?id=15341

At the moment you can fly to orbit, dock with the station, transfer to
the lunar ship, fly a loop around the Moon and return, undock the
ferry from the station, re-enter and land. Hopefully the lunar landers
and Mars ships will join them before long.

Mark

European high technology for the International Space Station Jacques van Oene Space Station 0 May 10th 04 02:40 PM
Clueless pundits (was High-flight rate Medium vs. New Heavy lift launchers) Rand Simberg Space Science Misc 18 February 14th 04 04:28 AM
Space Access Update #102 2/9/04 Henry Vanderbilt Policy 1 February 10th 04 04:18 PM
New Space Race? Eugene Kent Misc 9 November 13th 03 02:42 PM
China's Space Plans Steve Dufour Misc 0 October 17th 03 02:42 AM