Photos of Attempt ot move Roton Rocket to museum by helicopter

Old December 17th 03, 05:07 PM
Rusty B

Default Photos of Attempt ot move Roton Rocket to museum by helicopter

I found a website that has a series of pictures showing an attempt
to move the Roton Rocket to a San Diego museum by cargo helicopter.

There are 72 pictures. The event took place in May 2003.

http://www.pro-photography.net/galle...V-move?&page=1

- Rusty Barton
Old December 17th 03, 05:54 PM
Rand Simberg

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 11:26:53 -0600, in a place far, far away, Joe
Strout made the phosphor on my monitor glow in such a
way as to indicate that:

In article ,
(Rusty B) wrote:

I found a website that has a series of pictures showing an attempt
to move the Roton Rocket to a San Diego museum by cargo helicopter.

There are 72 pictures. The event took place in May 2003.

Hmm... couldn't they have just flown it (stopping frequently for
refueling, I'm sure)?

Very frequently. It's theoretically possible, but the logistics would
be crazy, and the probability of a mishap would approach unity by the
time it got all the way.
Old December 17th 03, 11:34 PM
Jon G

I remember reading somewhere that one of the test-pilots reported the ATV
was a nightmare to fly.

Old December 18th 03, 12:16 AM
Rand Simberg

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 23:34:25 GMT, in a place far, far away, "Jon G"
made the phosphor on my monitor glow
in such a way as to indicate that:

I remember reading somewhere that one of the test-pilots reported the ATV
was a nightmare to fly.

Yes, perhaps the same test pilot that broke the sound barrier today in
SpaceShipOne. Or it may have been Marti--I forget which.
Old December 18th 03, 01:02 AM
Rand Simberg

On 18 Dec 2003 00:36:29 GMT, in a place far, far away, "Jorge R.
Frank" made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

(Rand Simberg) wrote in
:

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 23:34:25 GMT, in a place far, far away, "Jon G"
made the phosphor on my monitor glow
in such a way as to indicate that:

I remember reading somewhere that one of the test-pilots reported the ATV
was a nightmare to fly.

Yes, perhaps the same test pilot that broke the sound barrier today in
SpaceShipOne. Or it may have been Marti--I forget which.

I believe it was Marti, in an article in Air & Space.

Well, it's worth pointing out that based on all contemporary attempts,
the Wright's first plane was a nightmare to fly as well. Or at least
replicas of it are.
Old December 18th 03, 06:47 PM
Derek Lyons

"Jorge R. Frank" wrote:

It is also worth pointing out that Gary Hudson had always intended to add
an autopilot to the final Roton C-9, but did not develop it for the ATV
because his initial funding and schedule were too tight and it was more
important to simply prove that ATV could fly.

Based on his posting at the time, using the ATV as a 'touchy feely'
proof of existence to his investors was even more important than
flight testing. He complained several times that the pilot(s) were
unable to use the ATV for training (the computer had a simulation
mode) because of his need to conduct tours for potential investors.

It is however, arguable that his approach was correct as without money
the company was as doomed as it would have been by a flight failure.

D.
--
The STS-107 Columbia Loss FAQ can be found
at the following URLs:

Text-Only Version:
http://www.io.com/~o_m/columbia_loss_faq.html

Enhanced HTML Version:

Corrections, comments, and additions should be
e-mailed to , as well as posted to
sci.space.history and sci.space.shuttle for
discussion.