Coronado PST beginner questions

Old May 11th 06, 08:48 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

Default Coronado PST beginner questions

Hello,
I've just got a PST yesterday and immediately took advantadge of the
nice weather. I have to admit at first I was a bit disappointed by the
small size of the image in the eyepiece, but I guess that was to be
expected, and as it's often the case in astronomy, I was too influenced
by the nice pictures available on the web!
But I did manage to observe nice prominences and to take a picture I'm
relatively happy with (for a first try).

http://www.gogo.me.uk/prom100506.jpg

This has been done with my Toucam + powermate 2.5x. So, here are my
questions:

Are these relatively large prominences? It is quite difficult to compare
with other pictures on the web in term of scale. Are these about as good
as they get or should I expect/hope for more impressive ones (not that I
don't find these impressive!)?

I seem to have a distinctive pink colour in my images. Do people
generally adjust the colour to get a more "natural looking" red/yellow hue?

For these, I took a 40 sec avi (about 500 frames) and stack them in
Registax. But I realised I don't know how quickly they are
moving/changing. What is the max length for an avi I should choose? And
BTW, is it the same principle as for planetary imaging (i.e. the more
frame you ahve the better)?

Related to that, I would love to try to make an animation of the
prominences (I've seen some beautiful ones on the web) but again, I
don't really know what is the time scale for this: should I get a
picture every 10 min, every hour, every 24h?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Philippe
Old May 11th 06, 09:33 AM posted to uk.sci.astronomy

Thank you, Pete! very helpfull!

Philippe