Hitting a golf shot off the moon..

Old July 22nd 04, 01:20 PM
Chris

Default Hitting a golf shot off the moon..

Could anybody let me know if it would be possible to hit a tee shot
from the surface of the moon (forget about space suits, just imagine
it was a normal golf shot), that would sent the golf ball into orbit?
Old July 22nd 04, 10:52 PM
Ian Stirling

Chris wrote:
Could anybody let me know if it would be possible to hit a tee shot
from the surface of the moon (forget about space suits, just imagine
it was a normal golf shot), that would sent the golf ball into orbit?

Yes.
All you need is a swing that would drive the ball at about the same velocity
as the projectile from a M1A1 tank.

The range would be much logner than you would get on earth.
The best golfers can hit their balls at 90m/s (ow).
At 45 degrees, it would hit ground some 78 seconds later, a hair under
5Km away.

(this assumes that it is possible to hit a golfball as fast at a 45
degree angle as at the lower ones used on earth to fight air resistance.)

Old July 22nd 04, 11:06 PM
Engr Bohn

Good afternoon

Hail, Chris! We who are about to post salute you.

Could anybody let me know if it would be possible to hit a tee shot
from the surface of the moon (forget about space suits, just imagine
it was a normal golf shot), that would sent the golf ball into orbit?

Climb to the tallest peak. Tee up. Strike the ball *just so* so that it
travels horizontally off the tee at approximately 1.68 km/s. Please
replace your divot.

Vcir = sqrt(G*m/r)
G = 6.67e-11 N m^2 / kg^2
m = 7.35e22 kg
r = 1738 km

Take care,
cb

--
Christopher A. Bohn ____________|____________
http://www.cse.ohio-state.edu/~bohn/ ' ** ** " (o) " ** ** '

Old July 22nd 04, 11:40 PM
half_pint

What club were you thinking of using?

--
half_pint

om...

Old July 23rd 04, 01:18 AM
half_pint

wha club were you thinking of using?

--
half_pint (repeated post)?

om...

Old July 23rd 04, 02:50 AM
Brian Trosko

Chris wrote:
Could anybody let me know if it would be possible to hit a tee shot
from the surface of the moon (forget about space suits, just imagine
it was a normal golf shot), that would sent the golf ball into orbit?

No. Any orbit it could be sent into would intersect with the moon.

The same's true of any orbital launch scheme where orbit is achieved by
simply applying a large initial impulse, like a big gun firing the golf
ball into orbit. You end up with an elliptical orbit which intersects the
point of launch, and need a burn somewhere along the way to circularize
it.
Old July 23rd 04, 05:27 AM
Chosp

"Chris" wrote in message
om...
Could anybody let me know if it would be possible to hit a tee shot
from the surface of the moon (forget about space suits, just imagine
it was a normal golf shot), that would sent the golf ball into orbit?

It would not be possible for a human being to hit a golf ball from the
surface of the moon with enough energy to send it into orbit around
the moon.

Old July 23rd 04, 06:23 AM
David M. Palmer

In article , Chris
wrote:

Could anybody let me know if it would be possible to hit a tee shot
from the surface of the moon (forget about space suits, just imagine
it was a normal golf shot), that would sent the golf ball into orbit?

Not with any golf club sanctioned for tournament play.

Lunar escape velocity = 2.38 km/s, orbital velocity is sqrt(2) times
that = 1.68 km/s = 6000 km/h. This is fast by the standards of a golf
ball or a rifle bullet.

--
David M. Palmer (formerly @clark.net, @ematic.com)