John Dobson

Old May 14th 05, 10:40 AM
Starlord

Default John Dobson

This is a copy of a post from Another Sidewalk Astronomer

Just got in from doing some sidewalk astronomy with John Dobson in San
Francisco's Richmond District. We were fogged out after three and a
half hours, and if I were to guess, probably 200-250 people got some
pretty decent views of bright solar system objects.
Dobson is a driven man. He will be 90 in a few months (September) and
he still carries his 8" "Tumbleweed" three blocks to the corner where he
sets it up and holds court. At 10 pm, he starts getting a little weary
and cold (temps in the 50s, humidity way up there).
But here's the deal--he does this EVERY night that it's clear enough
to see the moon or, seasonally, Jupiter or Saturn. We're talking
hundreds of people each week looking through his travel worn dob. If
he's not on the street for four hours at a clip (and he does it all on
his feet, without an observing chair--and has to bend down to waist
level to reach the eyepiece), then he's doing his cosmology slideshow
talk for some high school class or private group. Amazing, is what it is.
On Monday night, we spent four hours at Redwood High School in Marin
County. On Tuesday night, another high school cosmology lecture. He
packs his slide carousel in plastic bags. He accepts no fees. After
each lecture, it's out into the parking lot for observing. On Wednesday
night, we're down in San Francisco at 9th and Irving. On Thursday
night, it was cloudy. And tonight, we're back at 9th and Irving again.
The guy can tire you out. He can. He walks miles, sometimes crossing
the Golden Gate Bridge on foot to visit friends in Marin County, seven
miles away.
The guy feeds astronomy to a hungry public. Tonight, I counted 20
people in line to look through my scope, and another 20 in line to look
through John's. And the line pretty much stayed that long until we were
clouded out. There were people in line using cell phones to tell their
friends to come and join them. I kid you not.
Next time we go out, I'll bring the camera and take some pics to
share with you all. But I'm going to hit the sack now. My feet are
killing me. LOL!
Clear Skies
Uncle Bob

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
About my Car
http://www.bishopcarfund.netfirms.com/

Old May 14th 05, 11:22 AM
Tom Randy

On Sat, 14 May 2005 02:40:14 -0700, Starlord wrote:

[...]

Look forward to seeing photos, John is truely incredible. His book will
never leave my library.

Old May 14th 05, 05:06 PM
SuperCool Plasma

Tom Randy wrote:
[...]

Cool! Our world needs more people like him, who share the wonders of
astronomy with everyone freely. Hats off to everyone like him.

Old May 15th 05, 10:51 PM
Llanzlan Klazmon

Tom Randy wrote in
news
[...]

The guy is great for inspring interest in astronomy with the general
public. I must say though that his cosmology is totally crackpot.

Klazmon.