Best future booster design

Old January 24th 04, 09:48 PM
Hallerb

Default Best future booster design

For Bushes new space plan are we better off building a NEW version of the
saturn 5 or assembling everything in modules with a delta heavy?

It would be costly to resurrect a saturn 5 type booster but look at ISS
launched in fewer larger modules it might be more efficent.

Old January 25th 04, 11:46 AM
eling037

Ok, it is not the question but...I doubt Bush wants to spend billions $$$ to
do "more of the same".
If I was him I'd go for the bigger firework. i.e. Saturn VI, iykwim

"Hallerb" schreef in bericht

Old January 25th 04, 02:37 PM
Hallerb

It's more efficient, but is it more cost effective to build a special
purpose booster that will only fly a few flights?

Well how many flights would a BIG booster need? Moon base, Mars, and hopefully
some asteroid missions plus supporting whatever space station.
Old January 26th 04, 07:47 PM
jeff findley

Brian Thorn writes:
This is all academic until we know exactly what the Moon / Mars plan
will be. But it sounds to me that Bush has proposed _sustained_
exploration, which means we probably will have need for considerably
more than "a few" flights, however we launch the missions.

If these flights are spread out sufficiently (say two manned missions
launched per year towards the moon or one every few years to Mars),
then I doubt at NASA would "need" a new HLV.

Given the budget projections for NASA, I'd say a new HLV is not in the
cards. Lunar and Mars missions will be slow and deliberate, unless
NASA funding is increased far more than Bush proposes.

Jeff
--
Remove "no" and "spam" from email address to reply.
If it says "This is not spam!", it's surely a lie.
Old January 28th 04, 03:57 PM
ed kyle

jeff findley wrote in message ...
Brian Thorn writes:
This is all academic until we know exactly what the Moon / Mars plan
will be. But it sounds to me that Bush has proposed _sustained_
exploration, which means we probably will have need for considerably
more than "a few" flights, however we launch the missions.

If these flights are spread out sufficiently (say two manned missions
launched per year towards the moon or one every few years to Mars),
then I doubt at NASA would "need" a new HLV.

When I strip out the orbiter hardware costs from NASA's
annual budget, I get something like $160 million per
flight for ET and SRB. I would guess that a cargo carrier,
perhaps with RS-68 propulsion, might up the hardware costs
to a total guesstimate of $250 million in hardware costs
per pseudo-shuttle-derived launch. Adding estimated
operations costs on the order of $500 million per year
(to run the launch site, integrate the vehicle and
payloads, etc.) gives the following.

Flights/Year $Total Per Flight
---------------------------------------
2 $1.00B $0.50B
4 $1.50B $0.38B
6 $2.00B $0.33B
--------------------------------------

An EELV-based lunar mission might require 5-6 EELV heavy
launches. Assuming that NASA could negotiate a volume-based
deal at $150 million per flight, the launch costs for each
lunar mission would be $0.75-0.9 billion.

Five-six EELV launches could put 125-150 tons into LEO.
A shuttle-derived (SDV) might be able to orbit 100 tons,
so a lunar mission based on such a vehicle would require
more than one launch (either two SDVs or one SDV and one
or two EELVs) and would cost $0.65 to $0.8 billion per
mission, assuming a low annual SDV flight rate.

Based on this estimate, I see a weak argument for
developing a 100-ton class SDV for a lunar program that
involves one or two missions per year. The discussion
might get interesting if four or more lunar missions
were performed each year, or if a 150-ton class SDV were
possible . Note that I have not considered the estimated
$3-4 billion SDV development costs, or any (likely lesser)
costs required for upgrading the EELVs.

- Ed Kyle

Scram Success sanman Policy 172 December 3rd 04 02:01 AM
Simple telescope design question Robert Maxwell Robinson Amateur Astronomy 38 July 5th 04 05:13 PM
Charles Lindbergh: Aviation, the Cosmos, and the Future of Man Kevin Alfred Strom Space Science Misc 0 February 16th 04 12:03 PM
"Science and Our Futu Ideas to Change the World" Aleksandr Timofeev Astronomy Misc 7 December 23rd 03 10:35 PM
Our future as a species - Fermi Paradox revisted - Where they all are william mook Policy 157 November 19th 03 12:19 AM