Reasoning The Night Sky ?

Old June 9th 05, 12:39 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Default Reasoning The Night Sky ?

With our extended brain we have a much better idea what just our eyes
are seeing when lying on our back and looking at about 8,000 stars. We
know why they twinkle.We can use the doppler effect if some are red,and
also we know about red giants. Still I see a green star,and don't know
why it is green?? Interesting we can only see 8,000 but we know there
are over a 100 trillion more in the cosmos. Interesting that those
100 trillion stars have a big effect on us(Mach) Bert

Old June 9th 05, 08:48 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Hi Saul Thank you. Best I remember the air can give white light
color,and bending rays of light coming just over the horizon too Bert

Old June 10th 05, 12:42 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

The night sky gave life on our Earth a chance to evolve. I sometimes
wonder if nature keeps life from forming with stars harmful radiation so
that the universe is not over run by organic matter. Just a little to
much heat. just a little to much of any kind of EM radiation can be to
much. bert

Old June 10th 05, 05:36 PM
Saul Levy

The Earth has a perfectly workable method of shielding life from
harmful radiation (ozone). Gravity may be a bigger impediment to life
spreading out into the universe.

Presumably, other planetary systems can do that too.

Saul Levy

Old June 10th 05, 07:00 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Hi Saul I know there are lots of reasons for life not to get a foot
hold. The feature I was using was night sky. Earth 12 hours of night
sky. Venus 4 months of night sky. Speed of revolving of a planet,and its
wobble can mean a lot to life. Bert PS maybe on some slow revolving
planets life could develop at its horizon,and move with is accordingly.

Old June 10th 05, 09:18 PM
Double-A

G=EMC^2 Glazier wrote:
Hi Saul I know there are lots of reasons for life not to get a foot
hold. The feature I was using was night sky. Earth 12 hours of night
sky.

The Earth was rotating faster when life began. The nights were not as
long. The Moon's tides have slowed it considerably.

Venus 4 months of night sky. Speed of revolving of a planet,and its
wobble can mean a lot to life. Bert PS maybe on some slow revolving
planets life could develop at its horizon,and move with is accordingly.

Ah, the nomadic tribes of Mercury, always on the move to stay in the
temperate twilight zone!

Double-A

Old June 14th 05, 02:20 AM
Saul Levy

The Sun produces equally high tides on the Earth as the Moon does.

Too bad Mercury has no atmosphere!

Saul Levy

Old June 20th 05, 01:04 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Looking up at the stars over Orlando Florida one has the problem of
moisture in the air and light pollution. In LA its dust(smog) and light
pollution.It has to be getting worse over time. I think it is great to
have the Keck telescopes over 18,000 feet up on the summit of Mauna Kea
I hope to see that observatory before my spacetime is up Good thing
I gave up smoking 10 years ago Bert

Sunday Night Starlord Misc 5 April 14th 05 01:06 AM
Starry Night and Desktop Universe Merge Craig Levine Amateur Astronomy 4 March 7th 05 03:16 PM
'Fab Five' Make Rare Appearance in Night Sky Ron Amateur Astronomy 7 March 21st 04 06:51 AM
Paper - Defining Civilization utilizing Anthropic Reasoning Jason H. SETI 0 August 3rd 03 05:33 AM