Futron Releases Space Tourism Study

Old September 28th 04, 08:23 PM
Rand Simberg

Default Futron Releases Space Tourism Study

I was told (by someone who should know) at the Return To The Moon
Conference in Las Vegas in July, that Futron would soon be releasing
their proprietary space tourism market research study (based on
research by the Zogby polling organization), that they'd previously
only been selling for twenty-five hundred bucks.

Well, they've done it.

http://www.futron.com/spacetourism/

Old September 28th 04, 10:15 PM
Jeff Findley

"Rand Simberg" wrote in message
I was told (by someone who should know) at the Return To The Moon
Conference in Las Vegas in July, that Futron would soon be releasing
their proprietary space tourism market research study (based on
research by the Zogby polling organization), that they'd previously
only been selling for twenty-five hundred bucks.

Well, they've done it.

http://www.futron.com/spacetourism/

I'm impressed with how complete this survey is. It seems to have taken into
account all of the variables and issues commonly discussed here when the
discussion surrounds the demand for private space travel.

Jeff

Old September 29th 04, 01:54 PM
Jeff Findley

"Dave O'Neill" wrote in message
om...
Still, I have my skeptic's hat ready to eat and will be glad to
publically eat crow should space tourism take off. That doesn't alter
my current view that the market is not sufficient to allow for the
large scale space development that Rand wants - at least not on its
own without something else.

Still, I've been wrong before and I'll be happy to be wrong on this
one.

With Virgin predicting that they'll be pricing the first (most expensive)
suborbital trips at about $200k, I think that this industry might just take
off. That price is, after all, a full two orders of magnitude cheaper than
the price the Russians want for an orbital Soyuz flight.

What's $200k to the ultra rich who want to experience "the ultimate thrill
ride" coupled with the "coolest space vacation" money can buy?

Jeff

Old September 29th 04, 05:00 PM
Eric Chomko

:
: Still, I've been wrong before and I'll be happy to be wrong on this
: one.

: With Virgin predicting that they'll be pricing the first (most expensive)
: suborbital trips at about $200k, I think that this industry might just take
: off. That price is, after all, a full two orders of magnitude cheaper than
: the price the Russians want for an orbital Soyuz flight.

: What's $200k to the ultra rich who want to experience "the ultimate thrill
: ride" coupled with the "coolest space vacation" money can buy?

Just out of curiousity, what are the two space tourism customers saying
about it? Are they jacked about returning to space, or is it like many
skydivers that after there single trip that is enough?

Eric

: Jeff
: --
: Remove icky phrase from email address to get a valid address.

Old September 29th 04, 10:27 PM
Alan Anderson

h (Rand Simberg) wrote:

...Futron would soon be releasing
their proprietary space tourism market research study...
Well, they've done it.

http://www.futron.com/spacetourism/

Is it a coincidence that this happens at the same time Virgin Galactic
springs into being?

Old September 29th 04, 10:28 PM
Ian Stirling

In sci.space.policy Jeff Findley wrote:
"Dave O'Neill" wrote in message
om...
Still, I have my skeptic's hat ready to eat and will be glad to
publically eat crow should space tourism take off. That doesn't alter

snip
What's $200k to the ultra rich who want to experience "the ultimate thrill
ride" coupled with the "coolest space vacation" money can buy?

I wonder.
It also raises the possibility that one (or more) of them will think
cool!, I'll dump 1/2 my blue chip stocks, and stick it in startups.

Old September 29th 04, 10:28 PM
Richard Johnson

h (Rand Simberg) wrote:

Well, they've done it.

http://www.futron.com/spacetourism/

In keeping with their magnanimous spirit, here are the direct download
URLs, so you don't have to deal with their email address demands (for
sale and spamming), or fight their improper use of javascript:

http://www.futron.com/pdf/SpaceTourismMarketStudy.pdf
http://www.futron.com/pdf/STMS_Suborbital.pdf

Richard

--
To reply via email, make sure you don't enter the whirlpool on river left.

My mailbox. My property. My personal space. My rules. Deal with it.
http://www.river.com/users/share/cluetrain/