Titanian ice volcanoes

Old January 21st 05, 10:28 PM
Eric Sadoyama

Default Titanian ice volcanoes

In http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/Cassini-...B881Y3E_0.html, the
ESA said that "instead of lava, Titanian volcanoes spew very cold ice."
Does this mean that Titan's interior is warm enough for liquid water to
exist? Or are these volcanoes just oozing warmed-but-not-melted solid
water ice? Perhaps Titan has an underground ocean, like the one on
Europa.

Old January 22nd 05, 04:07 PM

Maybe those cloud formations in Titan's southern hemisphere are
evidence of volcanism.

Old January 23rd 05, 03:58 PM
rnesto

"Eric Sadoyama" wrote:

In http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/Cassini-...B881Y3E_0.html, the
ESA said that "instead of lava, Titanian volcanoes spew very cold ice."
Does this mean that Titan's interior is warm enough for liquid water to
exist? Or are these volcanoes just oozing warmed-but-not-melted solid
water ice? Perhaps Titan has an underground ocean, like the one on
Europa.

I don't think so, but I believe that undersurface, under lakes of
liquid methan, could be a warmer temperature and perhaps bacterya life
(we sent probably some terrestrian bacterya with Huygens...)

ÿóÿý

Old January 25th 05, 09:17 PM
Eric Sadoyama

Aha. Titan does have an underground ocean. Or at least, it *could* have
one, deep and cold and dark and maybe 15% ammonia. By comparison,
household ammonia cleaners are 5%-10% ammonia.
(http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4196261.stm)

Old January 26th 05, 02:43 PM
James Nicoll

In article .com,
Eric Sadoyama wrote:
Aha. Titan does have an underground ocean. Or at least, it *could* have
one, deep and cold and dark and maybe 15% ammonia. By comparison,
household ammonia cleaners are 5%-10% ammonia.
(http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4196261.stm)

At least one paper I've read said that the subsurface ocean
would be somewhat acidic, although this would be no barrier to life
as we know it. The relative lack of energy inputs is the real limit
on life in that sea.

--
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/
http://www.marryanamerican.ca
Old January 26th 05, 10:12 PM
jacob navia

James Nicoll wrote:

In article .com,
Eric Sadoyama wrote:

Aha. Titan does have an underground ocean. Or at least, it *could* have
one, deep and cold and dark and maybe 15% ammonia. By comparison,
household ammonia cleaners are 5%-10% ammonia.
(http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4196261.stm)

At least one paper I've read said that the subsurface ocean
would be somewhat acidic, although this would be no barrier to life
as we know it. The relative lack of energy inputs is the real limit
on life in that sea.

What do you know about the geothermical energy being released
by gravitational stresses of Titan/Saturn ?

You are a surface being, and as such biased...

How would that energy, lava flows, etc, interact in this
ocean when you have 4 billion years to agitate slowly?

Please remember that Titan has been evolving probably as
long as the rest of the solar system.

Old January 27th 05, 04:25 PM
James Nicoll

jacob navia wrote:
James Nicoll wrote:

In article .com,
Eric Sadoyama wrote:

Aha. Titan does have an underground ocean. Or at least, it *could* have
one, deep and cold and dark and maybe 15% ammonia. By comparison,
household ammonia cleaners are 5%-10% ammonia.
(http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4196261.stm)

At least one paper I've read said that the subsurface ocean
would be somewhat acidic, although this would be no barrier to life
as we know it. The relative lack of energy inputs is the real limit
on life in that sea.

I think I was wrong on this. The PH of the ammonia/water
ocean seems to be estimated at around 10-12, so it is basic, not
acidic.

What do you know about the geothermical energy being released
by gravitational stresses of Titan/Saturn ?

We can measure the amount heat being radiated by Titan,
we know how much sunlight falls on it and from those two facts
get a pretty good idea of the amount of energy being supplied
from other sources.
Old January 28th 05, 07:13 PM
Eric Sadoyama

Aha. Titan does have an underground ocean. Or at least, it *could*
have
one, deep and cold and dark and maybe 15% ammonia.

Well, maybe not so cold after all. The current hypothesis explaining
the persistence of methane in Titan's atmosphere requires that there be
a methane-generating process underground somewhere, and if it's not
biogenic, then the next best candidate process is "serpentinisation
[which] is basically the reaction between water and rocks at 100 to 400
degrees C".
(http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...E29098,00.html)
If that's what's going on, then Titan's interior must be plenty hot
enough to support a liquid water center.