Status Last EVA Drowning Incident?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 8th 16, 09:20 PM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

Default Status Last EVA Drowning Incident?

A few weeks ago I heard in my local radio that an ISS EVA had to be
aborted because there again was water in the helmet. I found a report
that it was the same NASA suite that almost killed the Italian ESA
astronaut a year ago. This time they saw an unusual large water bubble
in the helmet and immediately aborted the EVA. But what was the
amount later found in the suite?

In the first incident they noted an unexpected amount of water in the
helmet and the astronaut went alone back in the station. But on the
way back it got much worse. The water went over his face, took his
visibility and cut the in and out radio link. Just with his hands
and a cool mind he found the way back.

The other astronaut later much regretted that he not went with his
ESA friend the way back. But nobody could vision then that it
could get such worse. This time they did know. How much water
went free? Was it a stuck sieve like last time? Was the root
cause of the last investigation still valid? It is a suite design
from the 1980s and should be known very well by now.

I wonder why so less is reported. Nothing here and I even saw nothing
on NASA Watch. But this is a serious issue.

## CrossPoint v3.12d R ##