Geopolitics of the Arctic

Old November 11th 16, 02:33 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
StarDust

Default Geopolitics of the Arctic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV67yJHoPvw

i was just thinking, rarely I do, if the ice collected at the 2 poles of Earth
would melt, would it destabilise earth's orbit around it's axis?
I mean, it would increase the wobbling some what and upset the previous ballance of the system?
Ice is lighter than water, but the more ice thickness at poles add weight there, but melting it, water would flow more to the equator and change the wobble of our planet.
Old November 11th 16, 04:04 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

On Thursday, November 10, 2016 at 6:33:39 PM UTC-8, StarDust wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV67yJHoPvw

i was just thinking, rarely I do, if the ice collected at the 2 poles of Earth
would melt, would it destabilise earth's orbit around it's axis?
I mean, it would increase the wobbling some what and upset the previous ballance of the system?
Ice is lighter than water, but the more ice thickness at poles add weight there, but melting it, water would flow more to the equator and change the wobble of our planet.

You have to keep in mind that each pole has been tropical in the past, so there was no ice then. It goes back and forth over eons and eons.

In other words... been there, done that!
Old November 11th 16, 06:37 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Rodney Pont[_6_]

On Thu, 10 Nov 2016 18:33:37 -0800 (PST), StarDust wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV67yJHoPvw

i was just thinking, rarely I do, if the ice collected at the 2 poles of Earth
would melt, would it destabilise earth's orbit around it's axis?
I mean, it would increase the wobbling some what and upset the previous ballance of the system?
Ice is lighter than water, but the more ice thickness at poles add weight there, but melting it, water would flow more to the equator and change the wobble of our planet.

It would only lighten at the south pole. At the north pole the ice is
floating and displaces it's own weight of water so there wouldn't be
any change in weight there.

If all the ice melted wouldn't it flow to the equator and increase the
mass there and stabilise the orbit?

--
Faster, cheaper, quieter than HS2
and built in 5 years;

Old November 11th 16, 08:34 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
StarDust

On Thursday, November 10, 2016 at 8:04:56 PM UTC-8, palsing wrote:
On Thursday, November 10, 2016 at 6:33:39 PM UTC-8, StarDust wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV67yJHoPvw

i was just thinking, rarely I do, if the ice collected at the 2 poles of Earth
would melt, would it destabilise earth's orbit around it's axis?
I mean, it would increase the wobbling some what and upset the previous ballance of the system?
Ice is lighter than water, but the more ice thickness at poles add weight there, but melting it, water would flow more to the equator and change the wobble of our planet.

You have to keep in mind that each pole has been tropical in the past, so there was no ice then. It goes back and forth over eons and eons.

In other words... been there, done that!

I'm not saying, the earth would stop spinning, but create some minor changes that would change the wobble some what, which can change tides, weather etc...

The pull of gravity from the sun and the moon contribute to the planet's wobble. So do variations in atmospheric pressure, ocean loading and the wind, which change the position of the Earth's axis relative to the surface. Together their effect is called the Chandler wobble, and it has a period of 435 days.
Old November 11th 16, 10:22 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Martin Brown

On 11/11/2016 02:33, StarDust wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV67yJHoPvw

i was just thinking, rarely I do, if the ice collected at the 2 poles
of Earth would melt, would it destabilise earth's orbit around it's
axis? I mean, it would increase the wobbling some what and upset the
previous ballance of the system? Ice is lighter than water, but the
more ice thickness at poles add weight there, but melting it, water
would flow more to the equator and change the wobble of our planet.

Moving more mass nearer to the equator tends to stabilise the system by
increasing its moment of inertia the same way as with a flywheel. It
would very slightly slow down the length of a day. It is already an
oblate spheroid so making it a little more oblate does no harm.

The present VLBI systems are plenty good enough to detect changes in the
Earths moment of inertia due to seasonal changes in the deciduous
forests of the Northern hemisphere. Raw data plot at IERS

http://hpiers.obspm.fr/eop-pc/index.php

There is a slight risk of instability developing if you could somehow
squash it to a perfect sphere though due to symmetry.

A US satellite ran into a well known instability problem most easily
demonstrated with a rectangular block L x W x H with L H W.

Spin it about the longest axis and it is stable.
Spin it about the shortest axis and it is stable.
Try spinning it about the other axis and it is not. Ooops!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old November 11th 16, 05:26 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

On Friday, November 11, 2016 at 10:22:12 AM UTC, Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

Dear oh dear. Given half a chance the empiricists will stick their neck out and it has become quaint in a way but ultimately unproductive and uncreative.

I noticed that after a brief spell when the planet's rotational effects entered discussion over a decade ago through the insight that the spherical deviation of the planet links up with tectonic evolution via the rotating fluid beneath the crust, there was a torrent of assertions however none came close to the actual cause of the planet's geographical features via differential rotation across latitudes.

Maybe someone will behave like an adult someday and realize it is close to exempt the Earth fluid interior from the same observations witness in exposed viscous compositions where zonal bands are a matter of course and the uneven rotational gradient between Equator and poles generates the 26 mile spherical deviation.

Old November 11th 16, 05:27 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]

On Friday, 11 November 2016 11:22:12 UTC+1, Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

Are you suggesting the Earth is like a very big off-cut of 2x4?

Even Scump doesn't believe this!

ARCTIC AURORA WATCH Sam Wormley[_2_] Amateur Astronomy 0 September 12th 10 12:56 PM
Arctic Ice Meltdown kT Policy 22 January 23rd 08 03:10 AM
Arctic eclipse of Aug. 2008 Mike Amateur Astronomy 9 March 27th 06 03:08 AM
Arctic Will Be a Desert in Less Than 30 Years say's BBC Raving Loonie Misc 19 October 5th 05 10:12 AM
A Very Naughty Arctic Tern ~ ! Twittering One Misc 0 July 31st 05 05:44 AM