Identifying Vedic Asterisms - Software?

Old September 22nd 03, 05:42 AM
Arjun Ray

Default Identifying Vedic Asterisms - Software?

I'm having trouble finding a suitable program, from the huge selection
of "planetarium" software out there, which will help me identify stars
that could correspond to a set of rather ancient names found in Vedic
texts. There is a strong tradition about these names, but no reliable
evidence that what these names signify today are the same as what they
did long ago.

What is known is the following:

1. An initial set of 27 asterisms were named for a lunar calendar based
on the 27+ day sidereal period. (Later a vestigial 28th name was added.)
That is, the moon "moved" from one asterism to the next roughly on every
solar day, so somewhat equal spacing is implied.

2. These asterisms lie close to or on the ecliptic: basically, the band
that can be occluded by the moon. Of course, exceptions are allowed if
there's no suitable star within the band but a nice bright star nearby.
(I'm no astronomer, but I believe Betelgeuse could be an example of
this.)

3. The names are invariably listed in a specific order, i.e. always
starting with the same name, and where the lists vary, the new names are
unique and not transpositions. There is a tradition as to the direction
in which these names circle the ecliptic, but as this is an exercise in
letting the texts "speak for themselves", there is no prejudice against
the "wrong way around the sky".

4. There is some internal evidence from the names themselves.
(a) Some names are singular, some are plural, and some specifically
mean a pair. The indefinite plural probably means a relatively
tight group of fainter stars where there isn't a suitably
bright star in the vicinity.
(b) Three pairs of sequential names are prefixed with adjectives
meaning "earlier" and "later" (or "prior" and "posterior"),
suggesting proximity.

Can anyone suggest software with suitable features to analyse the
problem of finding suitable sets of stars (with their modern names)?

For completeness, the list looks like this, in terms of the information
in (4) above, with 'P' standing for the indefinite (ie. 3+) plural:

1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 1, P, P, Early 2,
Later 2, 1, 1, 1, 2, 1, 1, 2, Early P,
Later P, [28th here], 1, 1, 1, Early P, Later P, 1, 2, P

The insertion point of the 28th could correspond to a relatively largish
gap.

Thanks!
Old September 22nd 03, 07:11 AM
Gautam Majumdar

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 05:42:27 +0100, Arjun Ray wrote:

I'm having trouble finding a suitable program, from the huge selection
of "planetarium" software out there, which will help me identify stars
that could correspond to a set of rather ancient names found in Vedic
texts. There is a strong tradition about these names, but no reliable
evidence that what these names signify today are the same as what they
did long ago.

Look in some History of Indian Astronomy book. Names of the Nakshatryas
with their Arabic names are often given in those books. Almost all
planetarium programs would recognise the Arabic names.

The rest is useed only for astrology - so deleted.

--

Gautam Majumdar

Old September 22nd 03, 07:53 AM
Arjun Ray

In , Gautam Majumdar
wrote:
| On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 05:42:27 +0100, Arjun Ray wrote:

| There is a strong tradition about these names, but no reliable evidence
| that what these names signify today are the same as what they did long
| ago.
|
| Look in some History of Indian Astronomy book. Names of the Nakshatryas
| with their Arabic names are often given in those books.

I haven't seen a single one of them back that up with *analysis*. They
all simply parrot the received tradition, for which the hard evidence
peters out a little before Aryabhat - which is on the order of at least
a millenium - that's a thousand freaking years, by the way - after the
times that my post was about.

| The rest is useed only for astrology - so deleted.

Wrong. Astrology is what the received tradition is about. If you had
bothered to read my post, I was interested in the *original* provenance
of the names, not their use (or misuse) in latter days.

Thanks for your input, anyway.

Old September 22nd 03, 03:20 PM
Matrix Reloaded

Arjun Ray wrote in message . ..

Sorry for the intrusion. I have the identical problem, including the
egyptian, mayan and chinese constellations. The sources seem lacking.
I don't even need a program, I need the (possibly authoritative) set
of corelations. Here and there one finds a reference, but all in all,
one seems lost...

Claudio

http://puck.dhs.org

Old September 22nd 03, 06:35 PM
Arjun Ray

In ,
(Matrix Reloaded) wrote:
| Arjun Ray wrote in message . ..

| I'm having trouble finding a suitable program, from the huge selection
| of "planetarium" software out there, which will help me identify stars
| that could correspond to a set of rather ancient names found in Vedic
| texts. There is a strong tradition about these names, but no reliable
| evidence that what these names signify today are the same as what they
| did long ago.

| I have the identical problem, including the egyptian, mayan and chinese
| constellations. The sources seem lacking.

Indeed. It's difficult to separate hard archaeological and historical
evidence from the confident attributions in modern texts - which are
usually based on "information" from astrologers. Astrology is a huge
hindrance to historical investigation of ancient calendar systems.

| I don't even need a program, I need the (possibly authoritative) set
| of corelations. Here and there one finds a reference, but all in all,
| one seems lost...

Looking for an authoritative set is too much - the problem may not admit
of an unambiguous solution. The point is to test synchronic consistency
of theories. Too often, anachronistic reasoning shortcircuits the whole
process by blithely assuming that a reference in an ancient text must be
the same as one that is found in a text dated even a millennium later.

This is of particular importance for the Vedic texts because of late
there have been fantastic theories claiming dates back in the Stone Age
for their Bronze Age civilization.
Old September 23rd 03, 08:57 AM
Paul Schlyter

In article ,
Gautam Majumdar wrote:

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 05:42:27 +0100, Arjun Ray wrote:

I'm having trouble finding a suitable program, from the huge selection
of "planetarium" software out there, which will help me identify stars
that could correspond to a set of rather ancient names found in Vedic
texts. There is a strong tradition about these names, but no reliable
evidence that what these names signify today are the same as what they
did long ago.

Look in some History of Indian Astronomy book. Names of the Nakshatryas
with their Arabic names are often given in those books. Almost all
planetarium programs would recognise the Arabic names.

Another good source is R.H. Allen's classic "Star Names, their Lore
and Meaning": it has one charpter dedicated to these so-called "lunar
mansions", and he deals with the Indian as well as the Arabic and the
Chinese mansions.

The rest is useed only for astrology - so deleted.

--

Gautam Majumdar

e-mail: pausch at stockholm dot bostream dot se
WWW: http://www.stjarnhimlen.se/
http://home.tiscali.se/pausch/
Old September 23rd 03, 08:20 PM
Gautam Majumdar

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 07:53:16 +0100, Arjun Ray wrote:

In , Gautam Majumdar
wrote:
| On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 05:42:27 +0100, Arjun Ray wrote:

| There is a strong tradition about these names, but no reliable
| evidence that what these names signify today are the same as what
| they did long ago.
|
| Look in some History of Indian Astronomy book. Names of the
| Nakshatryas with their Arabic names are often given in those books.

I haven't seen a single one of them back that up with *analysis*. They
all simply parrot the received tradition, for which the hard evidence
peters out a little before Aryabhat - which is on the order of at least
a millenium - that's a thousand freaking years, by the way - after the
times that my post was about.

| The rest is useed only for astrology - so deleted.

Wrong. Astrology is what the received tradition is about. If you had
bothered to read my post, I was interested in the *original* provenance
of the names, not their use (or misuse) in latter days.

Sorry if I offended you by mentioning astrology. But part of your post did
suggest to me that you are after some astrological info.

Anyway, a quick google search revealed a number of interesting sites. I
suggest you look at

http://www.geocities.com/vijayabalak...akshathra.html

This site gives details of all 27 Nakshatras with their Arabic/Latin names
where available, SAO & HD catalogue numbers, brightness, etc. From that it
should be easy to find them on any planetarium program. Abhijita (Vega),
the 28th Nakshatra, is not mentioned though, probably because it was added
later to get the lunar cycle in sync with observed period.

HTH

--

Gautam Majumdar

Old September 23rd 03, 10:40 PM
Arjun Ray

In , Gautam Majumdar
wrote:
| On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 07:53:16 +0100, Arjun Ray wrote:

| If you had bothered to read my post, I was interested in the *original*
| provenance of the names, not their use (or misuse) in latter days.

| Sorry if I offended you by mentioning astrology. But part of your post
| did suggest to me that you are after some astrological info.

It looks like my English must be even worse than that, if I'm failing to
convey the basic point that using *later* texts - many, if not most,
indeed astrologically oriented - to fix the meanings of *earlier* names
is anachronistic thinking:

Text 1, dated to (say) 1000 BCE, mentions Name X.
Text 2, dated (say) 100 CE, says Name X means Star Such-and-such.
Ergo, Name X in Text 1 is Star Such-and-such.

No matter how much people may babble about "unbroken tradition" or
whatnot, this kind of retroactive attributiun is fallacious. Another
way to express this is to say that an "unbroken tradition" needs to be
demonstrated rather than presumed. Do you see that?

| Anyway, a quick google search revealed a number of interesting sites. I
| suggest you look at
|
| http://www.geocities.com/vijayabalak...akshathra.html

I found that - and a number of similar pages - a while back. It's an
absolutely classic example of the kind of anachronistic reasoning that
I'm trying to find a way around!

All these so called analyses *start* with identifying kRttikA as the
Pleiades (or just Alcyone).

Now, this is in fact true of the *later* tradition. But it is by no
means clear that the kRttikA of Vedic times - such as Taitiriya Samhita
IV.4.10 or Taittiriya Brahmana 3.1.1.1 or AtharvaVeda XIX.7 - is also
the Pleiades.

And the say-so of a later tradition doesn't make it so anyway. Or, so
one could hope.

| This site gives details of all 27 Nakshatras with their Arabic/Latin
| names where available, SAO & HD catalogue numbers, brightness, etc.
| From that it should be easy to find them on any planetarium program.

I was looking for a planetarium program that would help me examine
sections of the ecliptic band for candidate asterisms that could be
matched to the Vedic names on internal evidence alone - such as the
hints provided by differences in grammatical number and the use of
"purva" and "uttara" as prefixes for three pairs of names.

Note that the later tradition has all names in the singular - which, not
at all surprisingly, the Balakrishna article you referenced above takes
as a "given" even for the Vedic names! But, for example, what is called
the Ashwini (singular) asterism today - as part of a socalled "unbroken
tradition", we are told - was in fact originally Ashwiyujau (dual).

The point would be to determine several candidate sets as part of a
"clean room analysis" and only *then* see if they can be winnowed down
to a single set, and only *then* determine if the later tradition is
consistent with the evidence from earlier times.

Note that working backwards instead has led to a number of utterly
fantastic claims. For example, it has been argued that kRttikA is first
on the list because it was associated with the vernal equinox (i.e. a
"first point of Aries"). This hasn't been true of the Pleiades since
some time in the second millemnium BCE. Only crackpots would claim that
the Shatapatha Brahmana, a work that shows knowledge of iron, goes back
that far, but believe it or not, this kind of nonsense is actually being
put forward in "Balakrishna, Ph.D." style as serious science!

Old September 24th 03, 07:21 PM
Gautam Majumdar

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 22:40:06 +0100, Arjun Ray wrote:

Text 1, dated to (say) 1000 BCE, mentions Name X. Text 2, dated
(say) 100 CE, says Name X means Star Such-and-such. Ergo, Name X in
Text 1 is Star Such-and-such.

No matter how much people may babble about "unbroken tradition" or
whatnot, this kind of retroactive attributiun is fallacious. Another
way to express this is to say that an "unbroken tradition" needs to be
demonstrated rather than presumed. Do you see that?

I think I got what you are after. But the "unbroken tradition" is a
myth. Historically we have a so called dark period between the Vedic
period and the much later historical period with almost a thousand years
hiatus. Very little hard facts are known for that period let alone any
information about the scientific activity of the time. Moreover, the
oldest written versions of virtually all ancient Indian texts come only
from the 3rd or 4th century BCE. Thus some (or many) of the Vedic sutras
might have already been altered between the time of their original
composition and the time of the writing of the version that we have got
today.

I was looking for a planetarium program that would help me examine
sections of the ecliptic band for candidate asterisms that could be
matched to the Vedic names on internal evidence alone - such as the
hints provided by differences in grammatical number and the use of
"purva" and "uttara" as prefixes for three pairs of names.

Note that the later tradition has all names in the singular - which, not
at all surprisingly, the Balakrishna article you referenced above takes
as a "given" even for the Vedic names! But, for example, what is called
the Ashwini (singular) asterism today - as part of a socalled "unbroken
tradition", we are told - was in fact originally Ashwiyujau (dual).

We of course don't know anything about the convention used for naming the
stars in the Vedic period. In later period all the Nakshatras were given
singular female names to conform with the mythology - they are all
daughters of Daksha & wives of the Moon.

The point would be to determine several candidate sets as part of a
"clean room analysis" and only *then* see if they can be winnowed down
to a single set, and only *then* determine if the later tradition is
consistent with the evidence from earlier times.

One possibility is to take a set of candidate stars and run the
planetarium program backwards to see if any of them matches up a specific
observation mentioned in the Vedic texts - such as a particular
conjunction with a planet or the moon - in the likely timeframe.

Note that working backwards instead has led to a number of utterly
fantastic claims. For example, it has been argued that kRttikA is first
on the list because it was associated with the vernal equinox (i.e. a
"first point of Aries"). This hasn't been true of the Pleiades since
some time in the second millemnium BCE. Only crackpots would claim that
the Shatapatha Brahmana, a work that shows knowledge of iron, goes back
that far, but believe it or not, this kind of nonsense is actually being
put forward in "Balakrishna, Ph.D." style as serious science!

We have to remember that many of the ancient texts are actually
compilations of the works of many people though they often go by the
name of a single author. This is often evident from the different writing
styles. Many such texts are not internally consistent. As for the specific
example of Shatapatha Brahmana, D P Chattopadhyaya in his book Science &
Technology in Ancient India, suggested that some of the observational
findings included were traditional, i.e., observed long time ago, possibly
even in the Indus Valley period, but not checked for the authenticity at
the time of compilation. Again, if the compilation was done over a long
period, i.e., later authors added their own observations to the text,
there will invariably be contradiction.

--

Gautam Majumdar

Please send e-mails to

Old September 25th 03, 12:40 AM
Arjun Ray

In om, Gautam
Majumdar wrote:
| On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 22:40:06 +0100, Arjun Ray wrote:

| The point would be to determine several candidate sets as part of a
| "clean room analysis" and only *then* see if they can be winnowed down
| to a single set, and only *then* determine if the later tradition is
| consistent with the evidence from earlier times.

| One possibility is to take a set of candidate stars and run the
| planetarium program backwards to see if any of them matches up a specific
| observation mentioned in the Vedic texts - such as a particular
| conjunction with a planet or the moon - in the likely timeframe.

Yes, that's what I had in mind. :-)

Unfortunately, astronomical references are very few in the Vedic texts,
and there again subject to variant interpretations. The differences
arise from the fact that the texts are about rituals, so what on literal
reading might look like an astronomical observation could actually be a
mythologised or formalised rationalisation of some aspect of the ritual.
Nevertheless, unless these formalisations were concocted wholecloth,
there could be some observational basis, so we're entitled to take them
as hints rather than as precise recordings.

In general, there are two clusters of such "references". One set has to
do with kRttikA (the Pleiades in later times) and associations with the
vernal equinox, and the other set has to do with maghA (Regulus in later
times) and associations with the winter solstice. The problem is that
in the canonical listing, kRttikA is first and maghA is eighth. If the
former is the spring equinox and the latter the winter solstice, then
the enumeration is westward along the ecliptic, whereas the clearly
lunar basis of "27 mansions" would suggest an eastward sequence, unless
the Vedics enjoyed counting backwards.

So there is a prima facie case that what the Vedics were talking about
is *not* what the later Sutra/Purana tradition asserts.

| As for the specific example of Shatapatha Brahmana, D P Chattopadhyaya
| in his book Science & Technology in Ancient India, suggested that some
| of the observational findings included were traditional, i.e., observed
| long time ago, possibly even in the Indus Valley period, but not checked
| for the authenticity at the time of compilation.

I wouldn't be surprised at all. The Shatapatha is relatively late among
the canonical texts, and tradition could indeed have hardened to blind
orthopraxy by then.

BTW, any advice on software?