...... NASA Rover Nears Martian Victoria Bowl Goal

Old September 7th 06, 04:05 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,rec.arts.sf.science
jonathan

Default ...... NASA Rover Nears Martian Victoria Bowl Goal

wrote in message
oups.com...
Sept. 6, 2006

Dwayne Brown/Erica Hupp
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-1726/1237

Guy Webster
Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif.
818-354-6278

RELEASE: 06-307

NASA ROVER NEARS MARTIAN VICTORIA BOWL GOAL

NASA's Mars rover Opportunity is closing in on what may be the
grandest overlook and richest science trove of its long mission.

During the next two weeks, the robotic geologist is likely to reach
the rim of a hole in the Martian surface

So, is Victoria a 'bowl' a 'hole' or a 'crater'???

Victoria Bowl
http://marsrovers.nasa.gov/gallery/p...A810R1_br2.jpg

Small hot spring 'lake'.
http://www.picturesofplaces.com/pict...n-spring/large

I suspect most of the large 'holes' in Meridiani started
out as impact craters. But the underground water later
greatly enlarged and modified them. It seems to me
the appropriate way to name such features would be
to use their last incarnation. Which would be as
lakes fed by underground water as ice ages
wax and wane I believe.

I still think Victoria Lake is the proper name.

We'll see soon I think. Can't wait.

Jonathan

Compare the ...shadows... cast in both pics. How long ago was water there???

Yellowstone mudpot
http://www.nps.gov/yell/slidefile/th...ages/05402.jpg
Endurance mudpot
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opp...1P2397R1M1.JPG

And just in case anyone has forgotten about those spheres....

Paleoenvironmental Interpretation of the Dakota Sandstone
as a Mars Analog, focusing on Concretions
http://chapters.marssociety.org/cana...ssaBattler.pdf

Concretions

Concretions usually form during the early stages of diagenesis under
the influence of bacteria, soon after deposition of sediments, and at
shallow burial depths The current understanding (based on isotopic data)
is that many concretions form biogenically....

If the acidic lake or a hot spring environments indicated by jarosite
existed at one time, they could have supported life. The discovery
of bromine is significant because it indicates that a large body of water
existed on the surface of Mars for a long time... The discovery of
concretions
on Mars is profound because many concretions on Earth form biogenically.
Thus the Martian concretions might be a strong indication of the past
existence of life on another planet.

Mars Analog Conclusions

Given recent discoveries on Mars, the Dakota Sandstone has turned out to be
a better analog for Mars than anyone could have predicted. The Dakota
Sandstone provides many pieces of evidence for past water and life.
The concretions, in particular, strongly indicate past microbial activity.

wider and deeper than any it
has visited. The crater, known as "Victoria," is approximately
one-half mile wide and 230 feet deep.

Images from NASA's Mars Global Surveyor orbiter show the crater walls
expose a stack of rock layers approximately 100 to 130 feet thick.
Opportunity will send back its initial view into the crater as soon
as it gets to the rim. Scientists and engineers will use
Opportunity's observations from points around the rim to plot the
best route for entering the crater.

"Victoria has been our destination for more than half the mission,"
said Ray Arvidson of Washington University, St. Louis. Arvidson is
deputy principal investigator for Opportunity and its twin rover,
Spirit. "Examination of the rocks exposed in the walls of the crater
will greatly increase our understanding of past conditions on Mars
and the role of water. In particular, we are very interested in
whether the rocks continue to show evidence for having been formed in
shallow lakes."

The NASA rovers have been exploring landscapes on opposite sides of
Mars since January 2003. Their prime missions lasted three months.
Both are still investigating Mars' rocks, soils and atmosphere after
more than 30 months. Opportunity works in a region where rock layers
hundreds of yards in thickness cover older, heavily cratered terrain.

"We have a fully functional vehicle with all the instruments working.
We're ready to hit Victoria with everything we've got," said Byron
Jones, a rover mission manager at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory,
Pasadena, Calif.

Though it's still winter in Mars' southern hemisphere, days have begun
getting longer again, and Opportunity's power supply from its solar
panels is increasing daily. During its first two months on Mars,
Opportunity examined a one-foot stack of rock layers at its landing
site inside "Eagle Crater" and found geological evidence that water
had flowed across the surface long ago.

The rover spent the next nine months driving to and exploring a larger
crater, "Endurance." There it examined a stack of exposed layers 23
feet thick. Over the drive from Endurance to Victoria, the rocks tell
a history of shallow lakes, drier periods of shifting dunes and
groundwater levels that rose and fell. Minerals indicate the ancient
water was very acidic.

The much thicker stack of revealed rock layers at Victoria beckons.
Arvidson said, "We want to examine the thick section of rocks exposed
on the walls in Victoria crater to understand whether the environment
that produced these materials was similar to the environment recorded
in the rocks that we have seen so far. Is there a record of a
different type of deposition? Was there a wet environment that was
less acidic, perhaps even more habitable? Where do the layers from
Endurance fit in this thicker sequence?"

NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter reached Mars in March 2006. It will
begin its primary science phase in November, offering higher
resolution images and mineral mapping than have been possible with
previous orbiters.

Victoria will be one target for the orbiter. "By combining the data
from Opportunity and Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter, we'll be able to do
some fantastic coordinated analysis," Arvidson said. Such analysis
will enhance the science return of both missions and aid in
interpreting orbiter data taken of potential landing sites for future
missions elsewhere on Mars.

"It's an amazing accomplishment that Spirit and Opportunity have
completed the equivalent of 10 prime missions," said John Callas,
rover project manager at JPL. "Each of them shows some signs of
aging, though. We can't say how long the rovers will last, but we
will push to get the best possible science out of these national
treasures as long as they keep operating. Victoria could very well be
the most productive and exciting science of the entire mission."

JPL manages the rovers and the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter for NASA's
Science Mission Directorate. For rover images and information, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/rovers

-end-