Hubble Constant

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 21st 04, 02:20 PM
beavith

Default Hubble Constant

in a recent thread, the discussion of what was faster than light
popped up.

i seem to recall a fellow back in the 1960's, i wish i could remember
the guys name, but he rapid sketched (for those of you that remember
how to rapid sketch) the lorentz equation and found several asymptotic
regions where useful values could be arrived that were faster than the
speed of light. not that that means anything in the real world...
its a pretty simple exercise anyway.

ceebee mentioned that the Hubble Constant is figured to be 74km/s/Mpc
where km is, of course, kilometers, s is seconds and Mpc is
megaparsecs.

my old HS physics teacher would always admonish us to "watch the
units." our old grade school math teachers would also tell us to
reduce our fractions.

here's the conundrum: if Mpc is roughly 3.25 million parsecs, and km
is another distance, if you reduce the Hubble constant to its basic
terms, won't you get a number with a unit of km^2/s?

if so, why do we keep the Hubble Constant in such a confusing batch of
units? it'd be like measuring an expanding balloon in X
in/sec/mile...

does this mean that the surface of our universe is growing by this
area every second?