Gordon Cooper 1927 - 2004

Old October 5th 04, 02:35 PM
Davoud

Default Gordon Cooper 1927 - 2004

Hilton Evans:

Mercury Astronaut Gordon Cooper, 77

By Martin Weil
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, October 5, 2004; Page B06

Gordon Cooper, 77, one of the seven original U.S. astronauts,
who made the nation's first manned spaceflights and became known
as possessors of "The Right Stuff," died yesterday at his home
in Ventura, Calif.

The cause of death could not be learned immediately.

More at --

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2004Oct4.html

*****

R.I.P. It is the way of all flesh. Until I read the various obituaries
I had not known -- or perhaps I had known but forgotten -- that Gordie
had come to believe the UFO/ET myths. That is unfortunate, but in no
way does it detract from his heroic achievements.

I was a pileit* in the Air Force in 1963 in Washington, DC, when I
managed to get a day off from work to see the huge parade that was held
in Gordie's honor following his Mercury 9 flight.

Davoud

* U.S. Air Force Pileit: "Hey, boy, pick up this stuff and pileit over
there. Then pick up that stuff over there and pileit here. Be quick
about it. Then..."

Being a pileit didn't have quite all the prestige of being a pilot, but
the training was less rigorous.

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
Old October 6th 04, 12:07 PM