Advice on telescope purchase

Old August 30th 03, 06:24 PM
Larry

Default Advice on telescope purchase

Hi

I am interested in Astronomy, and would like to purchace a telescope - at
the moment I only have a 'toy' one, which doesn't provide very good viewing.
Do you think that this is a good telecope:

660x maximum magnification - optimum usage up to 200x.
60mm objective diameter.
800mm focal length.
Interchangeable 1.25in eyepieces.
H25mm/28x, H12.5mm/64x and SR4mm/200x, 6x 24mm finderscope, 3.3x barlow
lens.
Full length aluminium tripod with Alt Azimuth mount.
Micro altitude control.
Precise rack and pinion focusing.
1.25in diagonal mirror.
Accessory tray.
Moon filter.
Solar projection screen.

It costs £80 from argos
(http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...ay?storeId=100
01&langId=-1&catalogId=1001&productId=64081)

I am on a fairly limited budget, so I am happy with the price, but do you
think it's worth it? (it is also avaliable from Amazon, but it is more
expensive and less convinent)

Thanks,

Larry

Old August 30th 03, 07:13 PM
ChrisH

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 18:24:55 +0100, "Larry"
wrote:

[...]

I don't think anyone on here is going to recommend you buy this
telescope Larry. It might look impressive but this 60mm refractor will
not perform well. I wish it were possible to get a reasonable
telescope for just £80, but sadly it's not. If you don't already own
binoculars (e.g., 10x50) that would be a better buy as an introduction
to astronomy.

ChrisH

UK Astro Ads: http://www.UKAstroAds.co.uk
Old August 30th 03, 07:32 PM

wrote:

Hi

I am interested in Astronomy, and would like to purchace a telescope - at
the moment I only have a 'toy' one, which doesn't provide very good viewing.
Do you think that this is a good telecope:

Personally to me this scope would also be a "toy", however that said,
any scope is better than none at all

Looking for astro bits and pieces?
http://members.ebay.co.uk/aboutme/orpheus1959
Old August 30th 03, 07:51 PM
Larry

Thanks for your advice

If I wait a few months, I could get my budget up and combine it with
christmas money from relatives - I could probably budget for around
£200-250 - is there any good beginner scopes for this price? Or should I
look into second hand?

Larry

(http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...lay?storeId=10

Old August 30th 03, 07:58 PM
Larry

I also found this, shame they don't ship to the UK. If I could find this in
the UK for a low-ish price, would it be worth it?

http://www.costco.com/frameset.asp?t...ubid=113 &hie
rid=1564&prdid=10034775&log=

Larry

Old August 30th 03, 08:19 PM
ChrisH

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 19:51:01 +0100, "Larry"
wrote:

Thanks for your advice

If I wait a few months, I could get my budget up and combine it with
christmas money from relatives - I could probably budget for around
£200-250 - is there any good beginner scopes for this price? Or should I
look into second hand?

Larry

Looking for a used scope is a good way to go, if you later find
interest wanes you can sell it again for little financial loss. Also,
you will get a telescope you could not otherwise afford. An 8"
reflector will keep you interested for many years with what it can
show you, that is what I would aim for. The new price for such an
instrument would be around £500, and expect to pay about 2/3 that
price for a used one (depends on what extras are included).

Old August 30th 03, 08:24 PM
Larry

Where should I look for a used scope? Is there a website where people
advertise, or an astronomy magazine that has them in, or should I check out
eBay?

Larry

Old August 30th 03, 08:25 PM
Roger Smith

In message , Larry
wrote
Hi

I am interested in Astronomy, and would like to purchace a telescope - at
the moment I only have a 'toy' one, which doesn't provide very good viewing.
Do you think that this is a good telecope:

660x maximum magnification - optimum usage up to 200x.
60mm objective diameter.

Much too small for astronomy OK for bird watching maybe.
800mm focal length.
Interchangeable 1.25in eyepieces.

Good.
H25mm/28x, H12.5mm/64x and SR4mm/200x, 6x 24mm finderscope, 3.3x barlow
lens.
Full length aluminium tripod with Alt Azimuth mount.
Micro altitude control.
Precise rack and pinion focusing.
1.25in diagonal mirror.
Accessory tray.
Moon filter.
Solar projection screen.

It costs £80 from argos

Not good.
(http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...ay?storeId=100
01&langId=-1&catalogId=1001&productId=64081)

I am on a fairly limited budget, so I am happy with the price, but do you
think it's worth it? (it is also avaliable from Amazon, but it is more
expensive and less convinent)

I doubt it's worth it, I spent that sort of money just on an aluminium
Alt Azimuth mount and tripod.

If your budget is that low look to so what you could pickup second hand
several people here have links to boards that sell that sort of stuff,
or maybe some big binoculars or wait till you can double your budget.
--
Roger
52:54:41N
Old August 30th 03, 08:28 PM
Stephen Tonkin

Larry wrote:
I could probably budget for around £200-250 - is there any good
beginner scopes for this price?

See:
http://www.astunit.com/tutorials/firstscope.htm
http://www.astunit.com/tutorials/evaluating.htm

--
Best,
Stephen
Old August 30th 03, 09:11 PM
Jim Easterbrook

Larry wrote:

I am on a fairly limited budget, so I am happy with the price, but do you
think it's worth it? (it is also avaliable from Amazon, but it is more
expensive and less convinent)

If you can wait, then every so often the Lidl supermarket chain offers a
70mm refractor for £79. You don't get so many accessories, but they are
a bit better (e.g. you get 2 Kellner eyepieces instead of 3 lesser types
and an equatorial mount instead of an alt-az). It's still not a
brilliant scope, but it will show Saturn's rings and Jupiter's moons.

How do you feel about buying second hand? Ebay has a mix of complete
crap and good bargains. I think I've done well buying new via ebay from
dealers in the USA and Europe. UKAstroAds is another good source,
although it tends towards the high end stuff.

If you do decide to save up and spend more you'll start being faced with
choices about type of scope and mount. Ask here and you'll get more
opinions than you need. (-:
--
Jim Easterbrook http://www.easter.mersinet.co.uk/
N51.36 E0.25

NASA Announces New Name For Space Infrared Telescope Facility Ron Baalke History 0 December 18th 03 11:59 PM
Choosing a first telescope (advice for UK beginners) Stephen Tonkin Amateur Astronomy 8 December 2nd 03 12:59 AM
Advice About Choosing First Telescope Paul Maskell Amateur Astronomy 11 November 17th 03 03:16 PM
Purchase telescope J Amateur Astronomy 6 August 27th 03 01:38 PM
A tale of a small telescope. Chuck Simmons Amateur Astronomy 13 August 10th 03 09:51 PM