ASTRO: Barnard 147

Old February 19th 14, 07:04 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Barnard 147

Barnard 147 is a dark nebula in central Cygnus east of Eta Cygni. The
image is centered on the coordinates given at SIMBAD for the nebula
though many amateur images consider the dark band at the top of the
image as Barnard 147. Which is correct I can't say as I find both views
in my research. I am going with SIMBAD. Many of the dark clouds carry
other designations as well though SIMBAD had none specific to just that
dark band at the top of my image.

This and other Barnard dark nebulae break with my usual tendency to go
with rather unknown objects. I'd never imaged these with the 14" so
bear with me as I continue to post various Barnard dark clouds from time
to time. They can be rather pretty when in regions as colorful as this
one. Cygnus is full of HII emission which accounts for the red in the
image. The blue comes from a haze of star lit dust in the area when a
bright star illuminates the dust along the plane of the Milky Way in
which this image lies.

I couldn't find any distance estimate for these dark clouds or even if
they are related and thus at about the same distance.

Again I posted two sizes. Full image at 1" per pixel which is a bit
large to see it well on a typical monitor but fine for prints and one at
1.5" per pixel that's better for monitors.

Rick
--
Prefix is correct. Domain is arvig dot net

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B147L4X10RGB2X10.JPG
Views:	309
Size:	1,014.2 KB
ID:	4992  Click image for larger version

Name:	B147L4X10RGB2X10-67.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	567.5 KB
ID:	4993
Old March 3rd 14, 07:04 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

that's a beautiful mix of colour and dust...

Stefan