Processing Astro-photos in Vancouver, BC

Old August 30th 03, 09:14 PM
Holy Cola

Default Processing Astro-photos in Vancouver, BC

Hello to folks in Vancouver,
I am wondering where to get astro-photographs developed in Vancouver. I had
a terrible experience with ABC Photo on 4th Ave, who use a highly automated
process over which they do not have much control despite knowing what was on
the film. Where do you get your astro-photos developed, and what kinds of
special instructions do you give to get good results?
Thanks

Old August 30th 03, 10:32 PM
Eric

Holy Cola wrote:
Hello to folks in Vancouver,
I am wondering where to get astro-photographs developed in Vancouver. I had
a terrible experience with ABC Photo on 4th Ave, who use a highly automated
process over which they do not have much control despite knowing what was on
the film. Where do you get your astro-photos developed, and what kinds of
special instructions do you give to get good results?
Thanks

I'm in Vancouver too. I have been to many places. Probably the best
thing is to find a place that has been around for a while - not likely
to disappear. The next thing, tell them not to adjust the developing -
no automatic push processing or anything fancy. Then, tell them to print
everything - including stuff that looks like a bunch of dust on a black
background If you can get them to do this, keep goind back. It may
also be a good idea to bring in an astronomy magazine of some kind to
show them what kinds of things to expect. Do NOT go to Cosco, London
Drugs, SaveOn Foods. Find a local shop. It's your only chance at finding
someone who will listen.

Good Luck.

Eric.

Old August 31st 03, 04:15 AM
Laura Halliday

Eric wrote in message ...

I'm in Vancouver too. I have been to many places. Probably the best
thing is to find a place that has been around for a while - not likely
to disappear. The next thing, tell them not to adjust the developing -
no automatic push processing or anything fancy. Then, tell them to print
everything - including stuff that looks like a bunch of dust on a black
background If you can get them to do this, keep goind back. It may
also be a good idea to bring in an astronomy magazine of some kind to
show them what kinds of things to expect. Do NOT go to Cosco, London
Drugs, SaveOn Foods. Find a local shop. It's your only chance at finding
someone who will listen.

I've actually had very good results with London Drugs.
The prints that come out of the machine are only good
for deciding what ones to get reprinted, and my best
results have always been by providing a sample of what
the finished result is supposed to look like. C41 is
a standard process, but printing can be tricky to get
right.

If you're not prepared to do your own - slide film is
dead easy to develop, and you can get chemistry
at Leo's and Lens & Shutter - and really don't want
to risk the minilabs, your best bet is a pro lab.
Be prepared to pay $$$.

Laura Halliday VE7LDH "Que les nuages soient notre
Grid: CN89mg pied a terre..."
ICBM: 49 16.05 N 122 56.92 W - Hospital/Shafte

Old September 2nd 03, 05:30 AM
Chris Knight

Try Black's Cameras. Tell them not to cut the negs, and print everything.
To give them a frame reference (ie: where the frames begin and end), shoot a
couple of daylight scenes at the beginning of the roll. They will fixup
shots for free (ie: if the density is off) and they are very responsive to
your comments and suggestions, often doing several different runs of the
same frame to try and get the right density and colour correction for you.

Chris

Old September 5th 03, 08:07 PM
.D.E

I tried place called K*rsd*le C*mer*s for my pictures of the aurora
took up on Mount Kobau at the last star party.
They turned out horrible. Nothing was developed.
I know the camera didn't have any problems since some of the other
pictures I took came out fine. I used Fuji 800 ASA and did some long
exposures over 30 min as well as some 25 second ones as well. Nothing
on the film they claim. I know there should be at least something like
star trails or something on the film. Nothing at all. I specifically
informed them that these were pictures taken at night and they were of
auroras. All ruined. When I spoke to them about it, they denied that
they made a mistake with processing the film. No refund was offered.

I've never had a problem with having night photography developed
before at other places. I won't be using them ever again.