Arrow of Time

Old June 25th 10, 01:11 AM posted to sci.physics.relativity,sci.physics,sci.physics.particle,sci.fractals,sci.astro
bert

Default Arrow of Time

On Jun 21, 6:44*am, Yousuf Khan wrote:
On 6/20/2010 9:14 AM, Sam wrote:

On Jun 19, 1:58 pm, *wrote:

Sam Time *has 5 arrows * *TreBert

3.1 The thermodynamic arrow of time
3.2 The cosmological arrow of time
3.3 The radiative arrow of time
3.4 The causal arrow of time
3.5 The particle physics (weak) arrow of time
3.6 The quantum arrow of time
3.7 The psychological/perceptual arrow of time

As far as I'm concerned, the thermodynamic, cosmological, radiative,
causal and psychological/perceptual arrows of time are all the same
thing: basically the causal arrow of time. It's the quantum and particle
physics arrows that are slightly different.

The quantum arrow probably represents what the universe was like before
the Big Bang. Particles would come together, and fall apart, and back
again without any structures being built or accumulating. The Big Bang
imparted a momentum in a specific direction of space, which we now call
"causal" time, where particles travel in the same direction and
eventually collide to form bonds, which form structures, which
accumulate as they travel through time.

The particle physics arrow of time is the weird half-way point between
the quantum arrow and the causal arrow. The particle physics arrow
describes the lowest level of particles at which we see a causal arrow
emerge, i.e. within the kaons. If the direction of time were reversed,
then we'd have a universe dominated by anti-matter, because 1% more
kaons would decay into anti-matter over matter, rather than the other
way around. But we'd still see causality progress the same way. Also
we'd likely have renamed anti-matter into matter, and vice-versa.

* * * * Yousuf Khan

Observers can have different perspectives of time. That has been
confirmed. Best to keep in mind the effects of SR depends upon how
fast one moves. We must always have "time dilation" and Lorentz
contraction in our thinking Stuff is not "absolute" iF eINSTEIN
DID not merge space and time I know I would have. They are two sides
to the same coin. Always got a kick out of this fact. No matter how
fast you chase after a light beam it still retreats from you at c
Photons never change speed nor do they bounce. My "Spin is in theory"
covers this. TreBert
Old June 25th 10, 06:41 AM posted to sci.physics.relativity,sci.physics,sci.physics.particle,sci.fractals,sci.astro
Yousuf Khan

On 6/25/2010 6:11 AM, bert wrote:
Observers can have different perspectives of time. That has been
confirmed. Best to keep in mind the effects of SR depends upon how
fast one moves. We must always have "time dilation" and Lorentz
contraction in our thinking Stuff is not "absolute" iF eINSTEIN
DID not merge space and time I know I would have. They are two sides
to the same coin. Always got a kick out of this fact. No matter how
fast you chase after a light beam it still retreats from you at c
Photons never change speed nor do they bounce. My "Spin is in theory"
covers this. TreBert

As far as I am concerned, the speed of light is simply the speed at
which our universe itself is traveling through the time dimension.
Anything that is traveling at the speed of light within the universe, is
actually just running backwards to stay put in one spot in time, while
the universe runs past it; like holding on for dear life onto the bank
of a fast-moving river.

That would also explain why causal time stops when traveling at exactly
the speed of light. If everything traveled at the speed of light, then
causality would stop because everything would stay put in their own
given spots in time, neither advancing nor retreating. With no movement,
no particles would be able to collide and therefore react to each other.
If on the other hand, you were traveling at 99.9% the speed of light,
then causal time will have slowed down considerably for you; but you are
not yet at 100% light speed, so you will still experience reactions,
albeit at a much reduced rate. That which we call time dilation is just
fewer reactions occurring at a time. You need something traveling slight
faster or slower through time to catch up with you and react with you.
At 99.9% light speed, there is still a differential range of speeds of
0.1% light speed to play around in. Even if you were at 99.99% light
speed, then you still have 0.01% to play around with. It's only when you
get to a full 100% light speed that you got 0% differential to play with.

Yousuf Khan
Old July 8th 10, 01:08 PM posted to sci.physics.relativity,sci.physics,sci.physics.particle,sci.fractals,sci.astro
bert

On Jun 25, 1:41*am, Yousuf Khan wrote:
On 6/25/2010 6:11 AM, bert wrote:

[...]

Good post Faster than light creates great problems. Light slowing
down leaves the unanswered question. "What energy kicks it back up to
see?" Gravity can't slow down photons. Reality is it makes them give
up energy. TreBert