Dirt on Gemini XII windows

Old November 15th 07, 05:40 PM posted to sci.space.history
John[_3_]

Default Dirt on Gemini XII windows

On Nov 14, 5:12 pm, wrote:

(HEAVY SNIP)

Iīd pick an Apollo - that thing could move around too

Regards

Soren

I don't know Soren, I remember how people said how big the interior of
Apollo was. About two years ago I climbed into a cockpit simulator at
the Huntsville Spaceflight Museum along with two other adults (and
yeah I went straight to the left hand seat *S*). While I will allow
it was bigger than Mercury or Gemini, the words "Apollo interior" and
"big" should never be used in the same sentence. 7 or more days with
2 other folks, no showers, and the type of "facilities" available make
me want to believe that more than one frogman was knocked back by the
aroma when the hatch was opened after splashdown.

take care . . .

John
Old November 15th 07, 06:32 PM posted to sci.space.history
Rick Jones

Pat Flannery wrote:
One thing about the SA&SM... the place itself is so large it tends
to make things in it look quite small.

I think they call themselves NASM Anyhow I'm guessing you mean the
facility down on the Mall right? I still need to find a way to get
out to Udvar-Hazy (out by IAD - Dulles Airport) and Silver Hill one of
these days (actually, I'm not sure if NASM still has Silver Hill, I'll
have to check).

rick jones
Old November 15th 07, 08:40 PM posted to sci.space.history
robert casey

Almost sounds like a supermarket tabloid scandlesheet headline "The Dirt
on Gemini XII!" :-)
Old November 15th 07, 09:19 PM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Rick Jones wrote:
Pat Flannery wrote:

One thing about the SA&SM... the place itself is so large it tends
to make things in it look quite small.

I think they call themselves NASM Anyhow I'm guessing you mean the
facility down on the Mall right?

Yeah, you're right. It's the one on the mall.
They managed to pack an incredible amount of things into one building.

Pat

Old November 15th 07, 10:02 PM posted to sci.space.history
Rick Jones

Pat Flannery wrote:
Yeah, you're right. It's the one on the mall.
They managed to pack an incredible amount of things into one building.

And yet it was/is such a small fraction of the total collection

rick jones
spend many a summer's day growing-up in DC taking Metro to the NASM
- Rick Jones
Old November 15th 07, 10:34 PM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Rick Jones wrote:
Pat Flannery wrote:

Yeah, you're right. It's the one on the mall.
They managed to pack an incredible amount of things into one building.

And yet it was/is such a small fraction of the total collection

Well, at least they have assured work for many future years in the
restoration field.
Do they loan out aircraft for display at other aircraft museums?
That would at least let more of the aircraft be seen on display at any
given time, though I imagine transportation costs could be a real problem.
When the Germans restored the Dornier Do-335 for the Smithsonian, it was
kept on display in Germany for ten years before being returned to the
Smithsonian.
Such a arrangement could be used for the restoration of a lot of
foreign-built aircraft.

Pat
Old November 15th 07, 10:56 PM posted to sci.space.history
[email protected]

Hi,

The LM was bigger than I expected it to be.

Yes, that thing is huge... and heavy, too.

One thing about the SA&SM... the place itself is so large it tends to
make things in it look quite small.

Yes thatīs right. On the other hand, their Starfighter looks much
larger than when I saw them flying as a kid... I almost couldnīt
believe is was an F-104. Flight mechanics used to joke that its wings
arenīt much larger than sofa tables. They are, but OK they are still
small wings.

I don't think they have a TKS, do they?

They had a couple of weeks ago, but probably not in the permanent
exhibition.

They do have one of the one-man landers from what I've heard.

I must have missed that... One man lander? Soviet moon lander, or some
other lander?

Regards
Soren
Old November 15th 07, 11:03 PM posted to sci.space.history
[email protected]

Hi,

I don't know Soren, I remember how people said how big the interior of
Apollo was. About two years ago I climbed into a cockpit simulator at
the Huntsville Spaceflight Museum along with two other adults (and
yeah I went straight to the left hand seat *S*).

Hehe ... Donīt forget to look under the couches, that is where all the
space is in that thing (and outside it, too).

How was it, couldnīt one of the couches be swung away for the long 0-G
flights? I think they even slept down below.

It seems that the first thing they did on Gemini EVA was to take out
the garbage .. happy to get rid of it. Apart from the opportunity to
dump some into the LM, I guess Apollo would be rather nice to get out
of after landing

Regards
Soren

How did they get the Gemini-Rogallo test vehicle airborne? [ Big G Gemini Question] John Charles History 14 December 6th 04 01:38 AM
Dew vs Dirt Jeremy Taylor UK Astronomy 2 July 5th 04 07:03 PM
Dirt aritfacts on Jupiter? Wfoley2 Amateur Astronomy 2 May 1st 04 12:08 AM
brown dirt cowboy Michael Amateur Astronomy 6 January 22nd 04 05:38 PM
Gemini-3 Crew did simulated countdown in Gemini-2 Rusty B History 5 November 23rd 03 06:59 PM