best space movie?

Old October 2nd 03, 09:30 PM
OM

Default best space movie?

On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 11:23:49 -0400, (Mike
Flugennock) wrote:

4. The _first_ "Star Wars": All the others are just Happy Meal promotions.

....I disagree. "Empire Strikes Back" is the best of the five so far,
as it actually has a *serious* plot and isn't an escapist fantasy that
claims to have a serious plot. The number of holes in the "ESB"
plotline are fewer than any other "Star Wars" film, and the fact that
Kazdan managed to convince Lucas to leave the film a cliffhanger with
a really somber note - Lucas was reportedly having last-minute doubts
and was considering making the ending a bit happier - is proof he
should have been directing the films all along.

....On the other hand, "ESB" still could have been better. One of the
early drafts had a twist on the "big revelation" that would have
changed "Return of the Tedi" drastically. In that draft, after Luke
discovers that Darth Vader is really Anakin Skywalker in stormtrooper
drag, he drops off the balcony to prevent him from being taken
prisoner. However, he only gets about 20 feet below camera angle when
he suddenly rises back up to the balcony. As he reaches Vader
eye-to-eye, Vader says something to the effect of "the Emperor wants
you, and it's not *that* easy to get away -this- time." He slaps him
hard and knocks him out, throws him over his shoulder and walks away
with him.

....Meanwhile, Han is rescued from Boba Fett, whose ship gets blown up
with him in it as he tries to escape. Before the group start to
unfreeze Han, they ask where Luke is. On cue, an imperial transport
flanked by TIE fighters takes off from the Cloud City, as Leia
suddenly has a Force moment and goes "Luke's on that transport..."

....Cut to the end scene. Same transport scene, except it's Han who's
in the medical bay. He's not fully recovered, so Lando & Chewy go off
after Luke, vowing to find out where he was taken and what his
condition is, and then the entire fleet will rescue him if necessary.
This, of course, would have led to "Return" being more of a Luke
redemption film than bringing Anakin/Vader back to the light side of
the duct tape, and kept the first two of the first trilogy hopefully
from being "Leave It To Adolf - The Adventures of Adolf Hitler When He
Was a Boy" and "The Many Loves of Dobie Hitler"

OM

--

"No ******* ever won a war by dying for |
http://www.io.com/~o_m

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old October 2nd 03, 10:11 PM
Rod Stevenson

I'm sorry to say that there is flaw 5.
In one of the scenes outside of the VAB, you can see a nice little cutout
above the large entry door. It is neccessary to allow a Orbiters tail to get
in prior to attachment to the External Tank etc. This gem was pointed out to
me by a member of the VAB staff when I was over there in May.

Rod Stevenson
England

Old October 3rd 03, 12:45 AM
Terrell Miller

"OM" om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org wrote
in message ...

Come'n lissen to a story about a boy named Luke
A young moisture farmer, so bored that he could puke,,,

[Cue Pat Flannery]

dude, I thought you *are* Pat Flannery

--
Terrell Miller

"In the early days as often
as not the (rocket) exploded on or near the launch pad; that
seldom happens any longer."
-Columbia Accident Investigation Board report, vol.1 p.19

Old October 3rd 03, 12:46 AM
Terrell Miller

"Jan Philips" wrote in message

I've got two of those models. One I put together in 68 or 69. About
2 years ago I was in a store and they had two of them, for $100 each.
I thought that was too much, but wished I had one since my first one
got dropped. Later I was still wishing I had one, so I thought: "If
they still have 2 of them, then they're probably still commonly
available. If they have one left, I'll buy it because it may be my
last chance. If they have none left, I'll be kicking myself for
missing the chance to get one." I went back to the store 2-3 weeks
later, and they had exactly one, so I bought it. I went back some
time later, and they had 3 of them.

I wanna play poker with you g

Old October 3rd 03, 12:50 AM
Jan Philips

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 19:46:42 -0400, "Terrell Miller"
wrote:

I wanna play poker with you g

Well, now I have another one that I can put together. I looked for
larger scale plastic models of Apollo and Gemini like I put together
in those days, and they're not made anymore. The Saturn V is.

Old October 3rd 03, 12:51 AM
Terrell Miller

"Mike Flugennock" wrote in message

5. Little bits of "Silent Running": actually, I haven't seen this since
I saw it right after it was out, so I only remember little bits of a
really nice job on a space station-kind of craft with preserved

forests,
and Bruce Dern doing a really fine job of illustrating the possible
effects of long-term space travel.

Silent Running is one of those movies that if you see it when you're 13 you
think it's incredible, but years later you watch it again and are totally
embarrassed.

Had a very similar experience with Dune. Saw it in teh theater, was blown
away. Rented the DVD recently...gah.

Other way around: got the DVDs of Logan's Run and the original Rollerball
recently expecting them to really suck, but they're pretty good movies.

Old October 3rd 03, 12:56 AM
Jan Philips

I looked for
larger scale plastic models of Apollo and Gemini like I put together
in those days, and they're not made anymore. The Saturn V is.

Actually Revell-Monogram doesn't list the Saturn V as being made
anymore. I might have been fortunate to find one.