Mary Shafer & Alan Erskine

Old November 1st 04, 12:03 PM
Alan Erskine

Default Mary Shafer & Alan Erskine

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message

My sister's Irish Setter polished off a three pound sausage....meat,
skin, label, and metal end clips...after she left it alone with the
groceries for a half-an-hour. :-D

(newsgroups trimmed, thank you)

The main reason dogs (or cats for that matter) eat items they are not
supposed to eat is because their human supervisors feed them table scraps.
Then the human's go off at the poor pets who don't know any better.

--
Alan Erskine
We can get people to the Moon in five years,

Old November 1st 04, 02:04 PM
Peter Stickney

"Alan Erskine" writes:
"Pat Flannery" wrote in message

My sister's Irish Setter polished off a three pound sausage....meat,
skin, label, and metal end clips...after she left it alone with the
groceries for a half-an-hour. :-D

(newsgroups trimmed, thank you)

The main reason dogs (or cats for that matter) eat items they are not
supposed to eat is because their human supervisors feed them table scraps.
Then the human's go off at the poor pets who don't know any better.

It's a standard application of Dog Rule #3:
"The worst of their food is beter than the best of ours."

--
Pete Stickney
bad measures. -- Daniel Webster
Old November 1st 04, 08:59 PM
Mary Shafer

On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 12:03:44 GMT, "Alan Erskine"
wrote:

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message

My sister's Irish Setter polished off a three pound sausage....meat,
skin, label, and metal end clips...after she left it alone with the
groceries for a half-an-hour. :-D

(newsgroups trimmed, thank you)

The main reason dogs (or cats for that matter) eat items they are not
supposed to eat is because their human supervisors feed them table scraps.
Then the human's go off at the poor pets who don't know any better.

I know what you mean. The dogs don't see any difference between
eating the roast sitting on the counter before dinner and eating the
scraps after dinner and who can blame them?

It was my fault the dogs ate the bread and Doritos that they retrieved
from the trash. That's why I had to get a new trash can. The dogs
didn't get into any trouble. They were quite proud of their
cleverness in scrounging such tasty food and I didn't disillusion them
at all.

Mary

Old November 1st 04, 09:16 PM
Richard Kaszeta

Mary Shafer writes:
It was my fault the dogs ate the bread and Doritos that they retrieved
from the trash. That's why I had to get a new trash can. The dogs
didn't get into any trouble. They were quite proud of their
cleverness in scrounging such tasty food and I didn't disillusion them
at all.

Indeed, usually in a case like your's it's way easier to fix the trash
can than fix the dog's behavior.

Similarly, with the training group I work with, we have this story:

A rolled up newspaper can be an effective training tool when used
properly. For instance, use the rolled-up newspaper if your dog chews
up something inappropriate or has a housebreaking accident. Bring the
dog over to the destroyed object (or mess), then take the rolled-up
newspaper... and hit yourself over the head as you repeat the phrase,

"I FORGOT TO WATCH MY DOG, I FORGOT TO WATCH MY DOG!"

--
Richard W Kaszeta

http://www.kaszeta.org/rich
Old November 2nd 04, 06:02 AM
Alan Erskine

"Mary Shafer" wrote in message

It was my fault the dogs ate the bread and Doritos that they retrieved
from the trash. That's why I had to get a new trash can. The dogs
didn't get into any trouble. They were quite proud of their
cleverness in scrounging such tasty food and I didn't disillusion them
at all.

I remember a guy who posted to another group. He had squirrels and
chipmunks in his backyard and kept food for them in a large, plastic rubbish
bin. The little devils simply bit and scratched their way through the
rubbish bin to get at all the food and had a smorgasbord.

Old November 2nd 04, 01:44 PM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Alan Erskine" wrote in message
"Mary Shafer" wrote in message

It was my fault the dogs ate the bread and Doritos that they retrieved
from the trash. That's why I had to get a new trash can. The dogs
didn't get into any trouble. They were quite proud of their
cleverness in scrounging such tasty food and I didn't disillusion them
at all.

I remember a guy who posted to another group. He had squirrels and
chipmunks in his backyard and kept food for them in a large, plastic

rubbish
bin. The little devils simply bit and scratched their way through the
rubbish bin to get at all the food and had a smorgasbord.

Had a squirrel that ate through the boot around the stickshift in my car.