OT - Report From The Convention

Old August 30th 04, 10:13 PM
Alan Erskine

Default OT - Report From The Convention

"Bruce Palmer" wrote in message
et...
If you look at a picture of Madison Square Garden you'll see 2 parts:
the round arena part and a 30-story office building part. One of my
clients is in the office building part also known as 2 Penn Plaza.

I spoke with someone there earlier today where they're running a
skeleton shift this week and allowing any employee who can work from
home to do so. Among other things they run a fairly sizable IBM
mainframe system. They have a contract with Iron Mountain services
which is a company that maintains offsite storage of backup tapes.
These backup tapes are rotated in weekly and monthly cycles.

Monday is the day Iron Mountain makes its pickups and today their
plain-white panel van snaked through Manhattan traffic towards the
fortress that is Madison Square Garden and 2 Penn Plaza. Hilarity
ensued when the driver was stopped by the police and secret service
several blocks short of his destination. Much fun was had by all.
Especially the driver, Abdullah.

He got the tapes but only after parking half a mile away and carting the
tapes away from the building on a dolly. I can just hear him at work
this morning... "You want me to drive this plain-white van _where_?"

Poor bugger. I wonder, would the same thing happen to a "Joe" or "Pete"
(white, Anglo-Saxon) etc?

--
Alan Erskine
We can get people to the Moon in five years,

Old August 31st 04, 01:17 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Alan Erskine" wrote in message
"Bruce Palmer" wrote in message
et...

Poor bugger. I wonder, would the same thing happen to a "Joe" or "Pete"
(white, Anglo-Saxon) etc?

Given I saw them stopping a car on 34th on Thursday of last week and
demanding IDs, I'd say yes.

Security there is extremely intense.

I'm avoiding NYC this week myself.

Old August 31st 04, 01:33 AM
Herb Schaltegger

"Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)" wrote:

Given I saw them stopping a car on 34th on Thursday of last week and
demanding IDs, I'd say yes.

Cops everywhere are employing their newly-confirmed power to demand
identification without probable cause. Thanks, U.S. Supreme Court.
Nice to know you're not immune to the "War on Terror" hysteria . . . :-/

Security there is extremely intense.

No doubt.

I'm avoiding NYC this week myself.

I've been avoiding it since my last visit there in 1985. :-p

--
Herb Schaltegger, B.S., J.D.
"Never underestimate the power of human stupidity."
Old August 31st 04, 02:06 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Herb Schaltegger" wrote in message
"Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)" wrote:

Given I saw them stopping a car on 34th on Thursday of last week and
demanding IDs, I'd say yes.

Cops everywhere are employing their newly-confirmed power to demand
identification without probable cause. Thanks, U.S. Supreme Court.
Nice to know you're not immune to the "War on Terror" hysteria . . . :-/

Well, in this case, 34th between I think 6th and 9th Avenues are closed to
traffic.

This person was turning onto 34th.

Security there is extremely intense.

No doubt.

I'm avoiding NYC this week myself.

I've been avoiding it since my last visit there in 1985. :-p

I actually enjoy the city and am down there every other week or so these
days.

Old August 31st 04, 03:10 AM
Peter Stickney

"Alan Erskine" writes:
[...]

Yep. The DNC decided, in its indefinite wisdom, to plop its
convention atop the single nexus for traffic running through-into
Boston. Their security demands meant that both Interstate 93, (THe
main route into Boston from the North, all rail service into North
Station, and the MBTA subway Green Line segments in that area all be
shut down. There were State Troopers frisking bus passengers at
commuter bus stops throughout New Hampshire. (We have a large Tax
Refugee population - there's a lot of cross-border symbiontics that
goes on.)
Much Happiness Ensued.

--
Pete Stickney
bad measures. -- Daniel Webster
Old August 31st 04, 03:29 AM
OM

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 22:10:41 -0400, (Peter
Stickney) wrote:

Yep. The DNC decided, in its indefinite wisdom, to plop its
convention atop the single nexus for traffic running through-into
Boston.

....As Bill Clinton proved, Democrats will always prefer to plop down
on the high-trafficed routes :-P

OM

--

"No ******* ever won a war by dying for |
http://www.io.com/~o_m

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old August 31st 04, 11:14 AM
Marek Moskal

Herb Schaltegger wrote [30 Aug 2004]:

Given I saw them stopping a car on 34th on Thursday of last week and
demanding IDs, I'd say yes.

Cops everywhere are employing their newly-confirmed power to demand
identification without probable cause. Thanks, U.S. Supreme Court.
Nice to know you're not immune to the "War on Terror" hysteria . . . :-/

There is a lot of irony in the fact that US people used to laugh at
Eastern Europe people about that very thing...

Still, it's very positive to hear that the guy not only survived but was
also allowed to complete the task (although not as originally intended).

--
(moskit-at-irc.pl)

Old August 31st 04, 01:04 PM
Andrew Gray

On 2004-08-31, Herb Schaltegger wrote:
In article ,
"Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)" wrote:

Given I saw them stopping a car on 34th on Thursday of last week and
demanding IDs, I'd say yes.

Cops everywhere are employing their newly-confirmed power to demand
identification without probable cause. Thanks, U.S. Supreme Court.
Nice to know you're not immune to the "War on Terror" hysteria . . . :-/

I was reading something the other day - damned if I can remember where -
which aregued that the NY statutes are sufficiently different to the
(was it Arizona?) ones the ruling was made on that it doesn't apply in
most cases - it *does* apply in a vehicle, but then it essentially did
anyway (requirement to show a license, &c). Having heard Stories about
NY police, waving all the documentation you have and grovelling still
seems the safest bet, though... g

Security there is extremely intense.

No doubt.

OTOH, Penn Station is still open, I'm told. That one must be a real
headache...

This is certainly making the UK approach - hold the Party conferences in
a medium-sized coastal town after the holidays are over - seem
substantially more rational.

--
-Andrew Gray

Old August 31st 04, 02:17 PM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Andrew Gray" wrote in message
. ..

OTOH, Penn Station is still open, I'm told. That one must be a real
headache...

Technically yes.... but only 2 out of I think it's 9 entrances. Which means
a madhouse.

Old August 31st 04, 05:33 PM
MORAGAWEBCAM

From: "Alan Erskine"

PLONK

MORAGAWEBCAM

I BEEN IN THE US GROUPS FOR 20 MONTHS AND 200 POST
AND NOW IM HERE IN THE AUS GROUPS FOR 20 MONTHS.

st. mary's college webcam
http://149.137.107.8./home/homeJ.htm

id: Guest pass: Guest