"Spirit" has a major problem.

Old January 22nd 04, 06:40 PM
Pat Flannery

Default "Spirit" has a major problem.

http://spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/040122anomaly.html
Did the ghost of Beagle strike it down?
It was the damn _Australians_ who were talking to it when it went
bad...first they lull us into a false sense of confidence with "The
Dish"...then their snake and spider infested telemetry station suffers
the all-too-common "storm" as the Foster's-addled lads that comprise its
"crew" muck about inside of its antenna playing cricket....and WHOOSH!
The subtle touch of death via the British Commonwealth's limitless space
experience strikes down Spirit, just like it struck down Britain
itself...and their pathetic little tin wind-up toy masquerading as a
Mars lander!
Remember all those Soviet Mars probes that didn't work...remember how
Britain gave the Soviet Union all those free jet engines after WW II?
The ones that later powered those MiG 15s that were shooting at our boys
over Korea?
Well.... I'll bet those Soviet Mars landers had BRITISH COMMONWEALTH
MADE PARTS ON THEM!!! Mayhaps even AUSTRALIAN-MADE BRITISH COMMONWEALTH
PARTS!!!!
This must mean WAR! We've invaded countries for less severe **** than
this....FAR less severe **** than this!
I notice that SpaceDaily hasn't even reported this story yet... so
ashamed is it's formerly Australian owner of his mother country's
soon-to-be-infamous part in this debacle!

Pat

Old January 22nd 04, 07:09 PM
Marvin

Pat Flannery wrote in
:

[lotsa drooling gibberish snipped]
ormerly Australian owner of his mother country's
soon-to-be-infamous part in this debacle!

Pat

What do you call a really cheap wine?

Oh yes... "Plonk"

You are now a cheap wine.
Old January 22nd 04, 08:41 PM
Herb Schaltegger

Marvin wrote:

Pat Flannery wrote in
:

[lotsa drooling gibberish snipped]
ormerly Australian owner of his mother country's
soon-to-be-infamous part in this debacle!

Pat

What do you call a really cheap wine?

Oh yes... "Plonk"

You are now a cheap wine.

And you are a poltroon if you don't understand Pat and his (admittedly and
entertainly) bizarre sense of humor. Get over yourself.

Of course, we all know "Marvin" is the name of the most famous cartoon
Martian of all time. Perhaps YOU are part of TheConspiracy(TM)!

--
Herb Schaltegger, B.S., J.D.
Reformed Aerospace Engineer
Old January 22nd 04, 09:19 PM
David Sander

Marvin wrote:

Pat Flannery wrote in
:

[lotsa drooling gibberish snipped]
ormerly Australian owner of his mother country's
soon-to-be-infamous part in this debacle!

What do you call a really cheap wine?

Oh yes... "Plonk"

You are now a cheap wine.

What do you call someone who plonks Pat?

Oh yes ... a clueless newbie.

It might pay to lurk and read and experience this group for a little
while (e.g. a couple of weeks) before you jump to conclusions and make a
bit of a fool of yourself.

Understand: Pat is an astoundingly valuable contributor to this group,
whose wit and humour is greatly appreciated by many here. Consider that
his post to which you have plunged in and flamed with such poor
judgement was very much tongue in cheek. Pat would be one of the *first*
people to recognize and acknowledge the gravity of this situation, but
at the same time one of the first to make light of it (there will be
more than enough people who will treat the news of Spirit's potential
demise with the solemnity and asperity that you may think more appropriate).

David
--
per aspera ad astra
Old January 22nd 04, 11:55 PM
Pat Flannery

Marvin wrote:

Pat

What do you call a really cheap wine?

That's "whine" you ninny! Somehow I think my sense of humor was lost on
this guy. :-)

Oh yes... "Plonk"

You are now a cheap wine.

I may be a cheap wino, but never a cheap wine... yeah, like I'm going to
trust someone named "Marvin" when it comes to an opinion on Mars-related
things.
It wasn't me, but the _Australians_ who stuck the wrong telemetry tape
in the super-duper-giganto-space transmitto-widget, and sent the Spirit
rover not programing updates- but Kylie Minogue lingerie jpgs! The
sucker's mechanical arm got locked in a rigid upright position, the 3D
cameras started searching the sky for the Green Absinthe Fairy, and the
thing is now going round and round in circles in a severely overheated
condition!
Now...as for that plonking...first I'm going to get a Illudium Q-36
Explosive Space Modulator, and then....

Duck Dodgers

Old January 23rd 04, 12:08 AM
Pat Flannery

Herb Schaltegger wrote:

And you are a poltroon if you don't understand Pat and his (admittedly and
entertainly) bizarre sense of humor. Get over yourself.

Of course, we all know "Marvin" is the name of the most famous cartoon
Martian of all time. Perhaps YOU are part of TheConspiracy(TM)!

I think you are on to something there...
I suspect this message was sent by none other than the Judica-Cordiglia
brothers- my personal Yancy Street Gang!

Pat Grimm

Old January 23rd 04, 12:33 AM
Pat Flannery

David Sander wrote:

Pat would be one of the *first*
people to recognize and acknowledge the gravity of this situation, but
at the same time one of the first to make light of it (there will be
more than enough people who will treat the news of Spirit's potential
demise with the solemnity and asperity that you may think more appropriate).

And Pat paid a terrible price for that posting as he napped shortly
after he wrote it...and had a dream in which he was _in_ Australia for
the yearly celebration of the Baptism of Queen Victoria, along with the
entire Royal Family...David did not think much of my plan to infiltrate
the goings-on by pretending to be a illegitimate descendant of Edward
the VII, and see if we could get some free food off of the
royals...things went well for a while...not only did we get to see the
whole dysfunctional family from the inside; but the Queen herself
awarded me the order of The Francis Drake Star for defending her from
the the all-too-familier advances of the dread Australian paparazzi!
But just as we were about to make our escape (stuffed with stolen cake
and canapés) via David's amazing Mini-Cooper that he had modified so
that it could drive at any angle up to 90 degrees from forward-facing,
things took a bad turn (no pun intended) when the swarm of Giant
Australian Green Hornets descended onto the car and began to crawl into
my nose and ears ; including that other pair of ears that are on the
outside of my upper legs, and those four extra nostrils that are located
near my....never mind...let's just say that there is no good reason
whatsoever to have nostrils down there, where "blowing your nose" may
well be the after-effect of eating too many beans.
All-in-all things worked better for John Glenn and his helpful fireflies
over Australia, rather than my little insect visitation via the wrath of
the aborigines for insulting their continent, and its pestilential
wildlife. The members of the Great Toad Tribe should NEVER have been
given a subscription to newsgroups.

Pat

Old January 23rd 04, 01:04 AM
Sam Seiber

Pat Flannery wrote:
Detailed dream sequence snipped
Pat

Yikes! I am glad I don't wear your brain to bed. I would be
afraid to fall asleep. Hell, at my age, I am lucky to remember
any of my dreams. You seem to have full length motion pictures.

Wishing the best of luck to the JPL team to revive MER-A. ****,
this is feeling like Apollo 11, turned into Apollo 13.

Sam
Old January 23rd 04, 02:55 AM
Mary Shafer

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 12:40:59 -0600, Pat Flannery
wrote:

Well.... I'll bet those Soviet Mars landers had BRITISH COMMONWEALTH
MADE PARTS ON THEM!!! Mayhaps even AUSTRALIAN-MADE BRITISH COMMONWEALTH
PARTS!!!!

Electronics by Lucas, Prince of Darkness?

Mary