Hubble: We Don't Need No Stinking Glasses

Old March 1st 05, 01:45 AM

Default Hubble: We Don't Need No Stinking Glasses

Goodbye Hubble. you served us well. The Hubble Space Telescope (HST) is
doomed to reenter the earth's atmosphere on a Kamikaze mission a few years
hence. Its fate was sealed in the FY06 budget just sent to Congress. I can
yada yada over its history and potential and historic findings, but the
point of this blog is a question: "Do we actually know what we're doing
here?" The answer is strikingly simple but all too familiar - probably not.
We are taking an instrument of historic value - a national treasure - and
throwing it away like so much rubbish that has the potential to serve for
many years or even decades in the future. The HST discovered so incredibly
much in its relatively short life (compare its life to the great telescope
at Palomar where its namesake did so much of his pioneering work.) The
corporate whine is that it is just too expensive to keep it in service.
Okay - it is expensive - but I would strongly argue with "too expensive".
The fact is, everything is expensive. We are almost certainly making a
mistake. The very day HST is gone we will go back to astronomical myopia.
The decision to scrap the HST is like saying that we as a human species no
longer need our glasses and we are quite content to be nearsighted. That,
of course is patent foolishness and is, in fact, idiotic. And yet, alas, we
have decided: we don't need no stinking glasses. The last moron that said
that was hit by a bus.

===========
From Dennis Chamberland's Blog Quantum Limit
http://QuantumLimit.com

The Ultimate Mars Colony
http://MarsWars.com

Old March 1st 05, 02:16 AM
Rusty

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 19:45:25 -0500, "a" wrote:

[...]

From Dennis Chamberland's Blog Quantum Limit
http://QuantumLimit.com

The Ultimate Mars Colony
http://MarsWars.com

There once was a 'scope called the Hubble,
When launched t'was already in trouble.
The end of the Shuttle,
Has led to its scuttle.
It soon will be nothing but rubble.

Rusty
Old March 1st 05, 02:24 AM
Alan Erskine

"Rusty" wrote in message

There once was a 'scope called the Hubble,
When launched t'was already in trouble.
The end of the Shuttle,
Has led to its scuttle.
It soon will be nothing but rubble.

LOL! Well done!

--
Alan Erskine
We can get people to the Moon in five years,

Old March 1st 05, 02:32 AM
Herb Schaltegger

Rusty wrote:

There once was a 'scope called the Hubble,
When launched t'was already in trouble.
The end of the Shuttle,
Has led to its scuttle.
It soon will be nothing but rubble.

Rusty

Burma Shave!

--
Herb Schaltegger, B.S., J.D., GPG Key ID: BBF6FC1C
"The loss of the American system of checks and balances is more of a security
Old March 1st 05, 05:35 AM
OM

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 17:16:29 -0800, Rusty
wrote:

There once was a 'scope called the Hubble,
When launched t'was already in trouble.
The end of the Shuttle,
Has led to its scuttle.
It soon will be nothing but rubble.

....Oh great. Now Rusty thinks he's Pat.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old March 10th 05, 01:33 PM
Daydreamer99

Rusty wrote:
[...]

From Dennis Chamberland's Blog Quantum Limit
http://QuantumLimit.com

The Ultimate Mars Colony
http://MarsWars.com

There once was a 'scope called the Hubble,
When launched t'was already in trouble.
The end of the Shuttle,
Has led to its scuttle.
It soon will be nothing but rubble.

Rusty

Hi...
In the being of the American space program, failure happen alot. What
was the driving force?...the cold war era. I think that the space
program is could up with a marketing program or something. The shuttle
is a bus no more no less. It is a tool to reach for bigger and better
things. Scuttle the Hubble would be due to **** poor home budget
planning. Use you imagination. We have not advance in the flight
department in 30 years.

Old March 1st 05, 03:27 AM
Damon Hill

We don't _really_ need Hubble.

We can do better, and are. Both in orbit,
and on the ground. Astronomy will not be
seriously impared by Hubble's demise.

But an updated Hubble using that leftover
mirror and updated instruments/systems could
probably be kept rather busy. Launch it on
whatever unmanned rocket and keep options
open for future servicing.

Hubble is dying after having served us so well;
time to put our efforts into a replacement.

--Damon
Old March 1st 05, 05:31 AM
OM

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 20:27:42 -0600, Damon Hill
wrote:

We don't _really_ need Hubble.

...You go to Hell. You go to Hell and you *die* :-P

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old March 1st 05, 06:16 AM
Damon Hill

OM om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org wrote
in :

wrote:

We don't _really_ need Hubble.

..You go to Hell. You go to Hell and you *die* :-P

Eh, what's your problem? That was uncalled for, sir.

Try it again in 24 hours when you're sober and civil.

--Damon I have more respect for you than that.

Old March 1st 05, 06:50 AM
OM

wrote:

We don't _really_ need Hubble.

..You go to Hell. You go to Hell and you *die* :-P

Eh, what's your problem? That was uncalled for, sir.

....Pat? You want to clue Damon in on this quote? :-)

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr