Mars Gusev Rock RAT - Humphrey

Old March 4th 04, 12:36 AM
Thomas Lee Elifritz

Default Mars Gusev Rock RAT - Humphrey

March 3, 2004

Check out this RAT.

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...5P2939M2M1.JPG

Then feel free to post your retractions here.

Thomas Lee Elifritz
http://elifritz.members.atlantic.net

Old March 4th 04, 01:48 AM
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Thu, 04 Mar 2004 00:36:35 GMT) it happened Thomas Lee Elifritz
wrote in :

March 3, 2004

Check out this RAT.

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...5P2939M2M1.JPG

Then feel free to post your retractions here.

Thomas Lee Elifritz
http://elifritz.members.atlantic.net

OK, my reaction, looking at it now for a minute or so.
There is one cut in half, in the middle of the pic just about.
This proves to me these things are SOFT, else it would have been slung away by the rotating
tool.
This confirms the mushroom idea.
My 2 Euro cents worth.
Old March 4th 04, 02:56 AM
El Guapo

"John Savard" wrote in message
On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 01:48:51 GMT, Jan Panteltje
wrote, in part:

This confirms the mushroom idea.

Don't be silly! We all know that the alien mushrooms in the solar
system are found on *Pluto*. That dread trans-Neptunian planet whose
discovery placed our planet in grave danger, by opening a psychic link
between us and its intelligent fungal inhabitants, to whom it is known
as...

Yuggoth!

Yes, the day when "the stars are right" is coming dangerously closer.

Nice.

Old March 4th 04, 05:54 PM
Robert Clark

Here's an (unofficial) color version:

http://mars.gh.wh.uni-dortmund.de/me...5L7L7.jpg.html

Bob Clark

Old March 4th 04, 07:10 PM
Greg Crinklaw

Robert Clark wrote:

Here's an (unofficial) color version:

http://mars.gh.wh.uni-dortmund.de/me...5L7L7.jpg.html

I played around with making that color image myself, but it just doesn't
work. I think the lighting changed significantly between the exposures
in different filters... The red filter is also in the IR, whih adds to
the trouble.

--
Greg Crinklaw
Astronomical Software Developer

SkyTools Software for the Observer:
http://www.skyhound.com/cs.html

Skyhound Observing Pages:
http://www.skyhound.com/sh/skyhound.html

To reply remove spleen

Old March 4th 04, 07:44 PM
Eric Pouhier

I agree with you, it is soft that is consistent with the way they erode, if they were hard rocks they would not have this morphology.

The print left by the RAT on this image indicates a very soft stuff !
http://www.dualmoments.com/marsrover...-133341-pc.htm
(3d anaglyph)

Old March 4th 04, 08:22 PM
Greg Crinklaw

Eric Pouhier wrote:

I agree with you, it is soft that is consistent with the way they erode,
if they were hard rocks they would not have this morphology.

The print left by the RAT on this image indicates a very soft stuff !
http://www.dualmoments.com/marsrover...-133341-pc.htm
(3d anaglyph)

Print? That was form a few hours of drilling, dude! This stuff is not
soft.

Old March 4th 04, 08:47 PM
Eric Pouhier

YES a print, just look to the tool, then to the anaglyph (and please put your red/cyan glasses on your nose)

The tool:
http://athena.cornell.edu/images/ins...at_250204b.jpg

The print of the guide ring:
http://www.dualmoments.com/marsrover...-133341-pc.htm
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...0P2533R4M1.JPG
There is a ripple that was formed by the ring when the arm applied the RAT on this so called "rock". I know that this is very disturbing, but we have to trust our eyes, don't we ?

ERic

Old March 4th 04, 09:12 PM
Simeon Nevel

Um.... I believe that "ripple" is simply the rock powder created by grinding away the
rock.

Just like the ring of sawdust created around a hole drilled through a board.

simeon

P.S. Sorry for the top-post... Something about the OP message prevented me from bottom
posting without getting my text indented w/ the quoted text.

The print of the guide ring:

Old March 4th 04, 09:37 PM
Greg Crinklaw

Simeon Nevel wrote:

Um.... I believe that "ripple" is simply the rock powder created by
grinding away the
rock.

Yes. Just like at the other RATs. Some people need to pay a little
more attention and use a little less imagination.