Russian Soyuz Landing Capsule Has Pressurization Problem During Descent

Old October 13th 05, 10:05 PM
Jim Oberg

Default Russian Soyuz Landing Capsule Has Pressurization Problem During Descent

JimO: What SORT of "fairly serious" pressurization problems,
and why are we hearing about it only now?

Russian Soyuz Landing Capsule Has Pressurization Problem During Descent
Moscow Agentstvo Voyennykh Novostey WWW-Text in English 1116 GMT 13 Oct 05

ZVYOZDNY, Moscow Region. Oct 13 (Interfax-AVN) - The Soyuz TMA 6
landing capsule, which had been carrying Sergei Krikalyov, John Phillips and
Greg Olsen, suffered pressurization problems in its descent.
"We had certain problems with pressurization before undocking and
certain pressurization problems in the descent. In fact, it was a fairly
serious situation," Krikalyov told the first news conference upon their
return.
The astronauts lauded search-and-rescue services and said that the Soyuz
TMA 6 capsule landed in the designated area on time. A rescue plane and
helicopters accompanied the capsule in its descent.
NASA astronaut John Phillips said his condition is improving day by day.
He said he felt strong but had some dizziness after the landing. His
condition improved a lot on Wednesday and continued to do so on Thursday,
the astronaut said. Everything would be all right by Friday, he said.

Old October 14th 05, 03:48 PM
Jim Oberg

"Jim Oberg" wrote in message

JimO: What SORT of "fairly serious" pressurization problems,
and why are we hearing about it only now?

Pretty well-kept secret, it appears....

Old October 14th 05, 07:38 PM
Scott J

"Jim Oberg" wrote in message
JimO: What SORT of "fairly serious" pressurization problems,
and why are we hearing about it only now?

Pretty well-kept secret, it appears....

I'd suggest you play back the nasa tv coverage of the undocking and reentry.
The problem was discussed on the air to ground loop.

Old October 14th 05, 10:26 PM
Jim Oberg

"Scott J" wrote

--

How about another suggestion? You be a nice generous
team player and post a transcript here? Thanks!

Old October 14th 05, 10:43 PM
Jim Oberg

Space crew weathers a scare during re-entry
Some air leaked out of Russian descent module as it flew from station to
Earth
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9697668/

By James Oberg
NBC News space analyst
Special to MSNBC
Updated: 5:01 p.m. ET Oct. 14, 2005
Russia's Mission Control endured a brief but private scare during this
week's return of a Soyuz spacecraft from the international space station
with three riders aboard, those familiar with the flight now say.

As the Soyuz descent module headed back to Earth, instruments indicated that
air was leaking out - the same kind of failure that killed three cosmonauts
in June 1971 on their way home from the world's first space station,
Russia's Salyut 1.

Since that tragedy, all passengers aboard Soyuz spacecraft have worn
pressure suits during such mission-critical phases. Had Monday's air leak
been severe enough, the suits would have saved the men's lives.

Cosmonaut Sergey Krikalev, the just-returned veteran Russian space traveler
who had been the space station's commander for the past six months,
discussed the problem openly during a Moscow news conference on Thursday.

"We had certain problems with pressurization before undocking," Krikalev
said. He added that there had also been problems with the craft's
airtightness during the descent: "In principle this was an anomalous
situation of medium complexity. ... In fact, it was a fairly serious
situation."

etc etc

Old October 15th 05, 02:58 AM
Scott J

"Jim Oberg" wrote in message
How about another suggestion? You be a nice generous
team player and post a transcript here? Thanks!

Sorry. Thought you were looking for a source.

Old October 15th 05, 07:26 PM
Jim Oberg

I was indeed looking for help,
and this newsgroup is a great team.
Thanks!

"Scott J" wrote
Sorry. Thought you were looking for a source.