Lockheed says makes breakthrough on fusion energy project

Old October 16th 14, 12:54 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_4_]

Default Lockheed says makes breakthrough on fusion energy project

In article ,
ess says...

On 16/10/2014 2:43 PM, Greg (Strider) Moore wrote:

A bit more detailed article on this.

Did you intend to post a link, but forgot?

Here is a link:

Skunk Works Reveals Compact Fusion Reactor Details
Lockheed Martin aims to develop compact reactor prototype in
five years, production unit in 10
Oct 15, 2014 Guy Norris | Aviation Week & Space Technology
http://tinyurl.com/n9dbofr

As usual, Aviation Week includes more technical details than the
"mainstream media".

Jeff
Old October 16th 14, 01:52 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

"Sylvia Else" wrote in message ...

On 16/10/2014 2:43 PM, Greg (Strider) Moore wrote:

wrote in message

"Lockheed Martin Corp said on Wednesday it had made a
technological breakthrough in developing a power source
based on nuclear fusion, and the first reactors, small
enough to fit on the back of a truck, could be ready
for use in a decade.

Tom McGuire, who heads the project, said he and a small
team had been working on fusion energy at Lockheed's
secretive Skunk Works for about four years, but were now
going public to find potential partners in industry and
government for their work.

Initial work demonstrated the feasibility of building a
100-megawatt reactor measuring seven feet by 10 feet,
which could fit on the back of a large truck, and is
about 10 times smaller than current reactors, McGuire
told reporters."

See:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0I41EM20141015

A bit more detailed article on this.

Did you intend to post a link, but forgot?

Yes. Sorry.

wrote in message

[...]

Sylvia.

http://aviationweek.com/technology/s...eactor-details

Old October 16th 14, 04:22 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain[_4_]

On Thursday, October 16, 2014 8:52:10 AM UTC-4, Greg (Strider) Moore wrote:
"Sylvia Else" wrote in message ...

Did you intend to post a link, but forgot?

Yes. Sorry.

http://aviationweek.com/technology/s...eactor-details

Bah, another pay-walled article. Sorry Greg, not helpful... I'll Google around when I get a chance...

Dave
Old October 16th 14, 05:06 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain[_4_]

Some other non-paywalled links:

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2014/10/1...actor-details/

From Lockheed:
http://lockheedmartin.com/us/product...ct-fusion.html

Video from Lockheed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlYClniDFkM

OK, now related picture in 2nd link above to the first illustration from he

http://www.alternative-energy-action...l-tokamak.html

Looks like a spherical-tokamak derivative of some kind. Did the AvWeek article describe the Beta for this reactor?

The illustration from WattsUpWithThat looks like a spherical-tokamak with a neutron shield heat exchanger. The "breed fuel" part means that it can be used to fuel a fission reactor if the right materials are used in the shield to yield fissile fuel under neutron activation. Thinking U-Np-Pu...
Old October 16th 14, 05:27 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Rick Jones

Jeff Findley wrote:
In article ,
ess says...

On 16/10/2014 2:43 PM, Greg (Strider) Moore wrote:

A bit more detailed article on this.

Did you intend to post a link, but forgot?

Here is a link:

Skunk Works Reveals Compact Fusion Reactor Details
Lockheed Martin aims to develop compact reactor prototype in
five years, production unit in 10
Oct 15, 2014 Guy Norris | Aviation Week & Space Technology
http://tinyurl.com/n9dbofr

As usual, Aviation Week includes more technical details than the
"mainstream media".

And it seems they give rather different dimensions than the Reuters
article. Almost looksl ike a meters versus feet thing (I'm assuming
that tinyurl URL is to the article I think it is, I have a slightly
irrational unwillingness to follow tinyurl-esque links).

rick jones
Old October 16th 14, 05:48 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain[_4_]

On Thursday, October 16, 2014 12:27:32 PM UTC-4, Rick Jones wrote:
Jeff Findley wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/n9dbofr

As usual, Aviation Week includes more technical details than the

"mainstream media".

And it seems they give rather different dimensions than the Reuters
article. Almost looksl ike a meters versus feet thing (I'm assuming
that tinyurl URL is to the article I think it is, I have a slightly
irrational unwillingness to follow tinyurl-esque links).

Me too. And I thought I'd tried that URL earlier today and it hit a pay-wall. Oh well, working now....

Dave

Old October 16th 14, 06:20 PM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain[_4_]

On Thursday, October 16, 2014 12:06:54 PM UTC-4, David Spain wrote:

Looks like a spherical-tokamak derivative of some kind. Did the AvWeek article describe the Beta for this reactor?

From AvWeek article:

/quote
The CFR will avoid these issues by tackling plasma confinement in a radically different way. Instead of constraining the plasma within tubular rings, a series of superconducting coils will generate a new magnetic-field geometry in which the plasma is held within the broader confines of the entire reaction chamber. Superconducting magnets within the coils will generate a magnetic field around the outer border of the chamber. "So for us, instead of a bike tire expanding into air, we have something more like a tube that expands into an ever-stronger wall," McGuire says. The system is therefore regulated by a self-tuning feedback mechanism, whereby the farther out the plasma goes, the stronger the magnetic field pushes back to contain it. The CFR is expected to have a beta limit ratio of one. "We should be able to go to 100% or beyond," he adds.
/end-quote

Limit ratio of 1? Build it. Let's see....

Dave