OT B-2 crash video

Old June 9th 08, 06:39 PM posted to sci.space.history
Rick Jones

Default OT B-2 crash video

"Reunite Gondwanaland (Mary Shafer)" wrote:
Once again, confusion between fly-by-wire and highly-augmented
flight control systems rears its baffled head. The lack of
fly-by-wire capability wasn't the issue and it pretty much never is.
Fly by wire, fly by cable, fly by push rod and bell crank--it's all
about the same, except for battle damage reduction and weight
reduction. The feedback stability from a highly-augmented flight
control system was the issue and analog systems had their limits.
You could use them on statically unstable aircraft quite nicely,
though.

I suspect that among those of us in the peanut gallery "fly by wire"
has come to be synonymous with what I suspect those not of the peanut
gallery such as yourself call the highly-augmented flight control
system. Probably not too unlike how many use the shorthand of Kleenex
to refer to a disposable facial tissue

Perhaps even more so as we (at least I) tend to go so far as to think
of it as "Pilot says s/he wants to turn left and computer program
agrees and turns the plane left."

rick jones
loyal if oft-befuddled member of the peanut gallery
where do you want to be today?
Old June 9th 08, 08:41 PM posted to sci.space.history
Kathy Rages

In article ,
Reunite Gondwanaland (Mary Shafer) wrote:

Captain Glenn Edwards, the co-pilot, was a native of California, which
is why the base was named after him, not the pilot. The pilot was
either Forbes or Fitzgerald and there already was a base with a very
similar name.

I quote Wikipedia, which happens to agree with my personal recollection:

"Forbes Air Force Base [Kansas] was named for Major Daniel Forbes,
an Air Force pilot from Kansas who was killed in a crash of the
Northrop YB-49 Flying Wing."

--
Kathy Rages
Old June 10th 08, 01:05 AM posted to sci.space.history
Reunite Gondwanaland (Mary Shafer)

On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 15:41:29 -0400, (Kathy
Rages) wrote:

In article ,
Reunite Gondwanaland (Mary Shafer) wrote:

Captain Glenn Edwards, the co-pilot, was a native of California, which
is why the base was named after him, not the pilot. The pilot was
either Forbes or Fitzgerald and there already was a base with a very
similar name.

I quote Wikipedia, which happens to agree with my personal recollection:

"Forbes Air Force Base [Kansas] was named for Major Daniel Forbes,
an Air Force pilot from Kansas who was killed in a crash of the
Northrop YB-49 Flying Wing."

You're quite right and I was wrong. It was home state getting the
name for both of them. I was probably thinking of another early
aircrew member with a street named after him at EDW. Think of what it
was like back then, having so many bases that they could name two from
one accident. That didn't last long.

Edwards had been named Muroc, after the Corum family, early settlers
in the area. (The name was spelled backward because earlier the USPO
wouldn't accept Corum for the post office, as there was another post
office named something similar, like Coram.)

I prefer the USAF system of naming things after dead aircrew to the
USN system of naming things after local places. It still irritates me
that they renamed Lewis after Glenn, no matter that they call it Glenn
Research Center at Lewis Field.

Trivia question: Who is the only living pilot who has a street named
after him at Edwards AFB?

Mary "That would make me kind of nervous"
We didn't just do weird stuff at Dryden, we wrote reports about it.
or
Visit my blog at
http://thedigitalknitter.blogspot.com/
Old June 10th 08, 01:26 AM posted to sci.space.history
Rick Jones

"Reunite Gondwanaland (Mary Shafer)" wrote:
Trivia question: Who is the only living pilot who has a street named
after him at Edwards AFB?

Yeager?

rick jones
Old June 10th 08, 03:30 AM posted to sci.space.history
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Reunite Gondwanaland (Mary Shafer)" wrote in
message ...
On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 15:41:29 -0400, (Kathy
Rages) wrote:

In article ,
[...]

I'd Armstrong.

Mary "That would make me kind of nervous"
We didn't just do weird stuff at Dryden, we wrote reports about it.
or
Visit my blog at
http://thedigitalknitter.blogspot.com/

--
Greg Moore
SQL Server DBA Consulting Remote and Onsite available!

Old June 10th 08, 04:03 AM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_6_]

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 00:26:15 +0000 (UTC), Rick Jones
wrote:

"Reunite Gondwanaland (Mary Shafer)" wrote:
Trivia question: Who is the only living pilot who has a street named
after him at Edwards AFB?

Yeager?

....Mary, I've been told that there were in fact *two* streets at
Edwards named for Yeager. Is one of these on-base and the other
locates on whatever off-base community exists out there?

OM
--
]=====================================[
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [
Old June 10th 08, 05:21 AM posted to sci.space.history
Derek Lyons

wrote:

I prefer the USAF system of naming things after dead aircrew to the
USN system of naming things after local places.

The USN reserves important names for important things.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

http://derekl1963.livejournal.com/

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Old June 10th 08, 06:19 AM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_6_]

wrote:

I prefer the USAF system of naming things after dead aircrew to the
USN system of naming things after local places.

The USN reserves important names for important things.

....And outstandingly so! :-)

OM
--
]=====================================[
] OMBlog -
Old June 10th 08, 01:42 PM posted to sci.space.history
Jeff Findley

wrote:

I prefer the USAF system of naming things after dead aircrew to the
USN system of naming things after local places.

The USN reserves important names for important things.

Like boats? Or is that ships? I always get them confused... ;-)

(Jeff ducks and runs for cover...)

Jeff
--
A clever person solves a problem.
A wise person avoids it. -- Einstein

Free female orgasm video,Squirting orgasm video [email protected] Amateur Astronomy 0 March 15th 08 04:12 PM
New Space Music Video, STS-120, P6 2B... Help- lost video! Craig Fink Space Station 1 November 11th 07 08:18 PM
Crash & Burn Starlord Amateur Astronomy 0 March 2nd 06 07:15 AM
Train Crash Double-A Misc 14 January 27th 05 08:34 AM
Crash for Armidillo BitBanger Policy 86 August 17th 04 10:49 PM