Is EMP a Lib fallacy?

Old July 4th 06, 03:10 PM posted to alt.astronomy,alt.astronomy.solar,alt.politics,sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy

Default Is EMP a Lib fallacy?

FROM THE AMERICAN THINKER

EMP attack danger overstated?

Dear editor,

Timothy Birdnow's article "EMP and the Unfought Victory [7/1/2006] is pure
fiction.

As demonstrated in 1962 thermonuclear tests in the upper atmosphere, it
takes a fairly heavy hydrogen bomb [10 megaton+] to generate significant EMP
waves over thousands of miles that will actually cause anywhere near the
devastation claimed in Mr. Birdnow's article. Even then, no mass wipeout of
all vehicles as described is likely at all due to shielding of steel vehicle
body, and most of the power plants could soon be put back on line.

Smaller weapons, even as much as the "Starfish Prime," 9:00 9 July1962
(GMT), at Johnston Island, Airburst; 248 miles up, Yield: 1450 kt, did not
do extensive EMP damage at only 800 miles distance.*
The only known nuclear weapon that N. Korea has is the limited fission type
of weapon that is comprised of either enriched Uranium 235 or plutonium
U239. Both types are restrained by the "critical mass" limit, above which a
single element might spontaneously detonate and destroy the entire weapons
facility. Thus, the largest fission bombs known would probably be under 40
kilotons equiv. explosive power related to TNT. The Hiroshima and Nagasaki
bombs were both under 25 kilotons.

Given the very limited EMP damage observed from the Starfish test, it is
almost certain that any bomb that is only 40,000 / 1,450,000 times as
strong, or only 2.8% of the energy, could not cause any meaningful EMP
damage from high altitude at all. Even one of the 1962 tests failed to show
any evidence of electronic radio interference like the Starfish detonation
caused. Thus, these "chicken little" scare stories are baloney that is
meant to needlessly frighten naive Americans.

Please run a correction to this ridiculous scare story ASAP.

Best regards,
Eugene Keech, retired electronic engineer [was designer of tape reader for
AWACS aircraft to boot computers if EMP knocked out mag tape units]
(*See: this for details on 1962 tests.)
*******
Any physicists care to comment?

READ NEWEST PITHY QUOTES BELOW, ESPECIALLY THE FIRST

"Almighty God, we make our earnest prayer that Thou wilt keep the
United States in Thy holy protection...." -- George Washington

"Where liberty dwells, there is my country."-- Benjamin Franklin

"[O]ur fathers were men---they were heroes and patriots---they fought---they
conquered---and they bequeathed to us a rich inheritance of liberty and
empire which we have no right to
surrender." --Noah Webster

"The government solution to a problem is usually as bad as the
problem." --Milton Friedman

"For the anti-war left, hatred of the president is the filter through which
all information flows.." --Cal Thomas

"Defense is the stronger form of waging war." -- Carl von Clausewitz

"War is . . . an act of force to compel our enemy to do our will." -- Carl
von Clausewitz

"War is war. If you want peace, then surrender." -- William Tecumseh Sherman

Hoo-Waw!!
Right is right...and the Left is wrong. Ain't the truth beautiful!!
Cheers,
Dennis, Proud Postmodern Conservative Capitalist, Finest Kind Black
Irish/English

Old July 5th 06, 03:54 AM posted to alt.astronomy,alt.astronomy.solar,alt.politics,sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
BlagooBlanaa

EMP weapons can be specifically designed.
They can do a lot of damage.

If NK launched an EMP (or any other sort) of nuke at
US/Europe/Japan etc then

1) trajectory of missile would be determined
2) missile would be disabled
3) nuke subs impervious to EMP could be
'deployed'

If the NK's or anyone else for that matter managed to
reach a target in US/Europe and cause damage it would
cause said offenders Nation to be reduced to smoking
bedrock - thats top to bottom, left to right.

There will never be another 9/11 left unpunished.

Old July 5th 06, 01:05 PM posted to alt.astronomy,alt.astronomy.solar,alt.politics,sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy
Anonymous AtWork

wrote:
"Where liberty dwells, there is my country."-- Benjamin Franklin

Fourth Amendment anyone?
Old July 6th 06, 12:30 AM posted to alt.astronomy,alt.astronomy.solar,alt.politics,sci.astro.amateur,uk.sci.astronomy

"Anonymous AtWork" wrote in message
"Where liberty dwells, there is my country."-- Benjamin Franklin

Fourth Amendment anyone?

*****
Oh-kay, what does the fourth amendment have to do with the validity or not
of EMP?

[...]

Is EMP a Lib fallacy? Amateur Astronomy 4 July 6th 06 12:30 AM
Is EMP a Lib fallacy? Misc 4 July 6th 06 12:30 AM
The fallacy of black holes Bill Sheppard Misc 39 August 18th 05 04:32 PM
Feynman's fallacy BHZellner Astronomy Misc 2 January 27th 05 01:10 AM
Broken window Fallacy Was: Far Left Group Opposes a Return to the Moon Axel Walthelm Policy 0 January 15th 04 05:33 PM