Unhappy Birthday

Old October 9th 03, 12:14 AM
Rand Simberg

Default Unhappy Birthday

....is the title of this week's Fox News column, in which I reflect on
NASA's forty-fifth anniversary.

Old October 9th 03, 02:05 AM
Jim Kingdon

Good job in bringing the Paine report back into people's
consciousness. I guess it was overshadowed, since I don't really even
remember it from the time.

One additional problem with the Paine report: it seems not to have an
executive summary, set of concise recommendations, or anything of the
kind (at least, not easily findable from
http://history.nasa.gov/painerep/begin.html ). If they just took the
same ideas, and put them in a nicer package, it might have made a
difference.

Old October 9th 03, 03:39 AM
Rand Simberg

On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 19:05:24 CST, in a place far, far away, Jim
Kingdon made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

Good job in bringing the Paine report back into people's
consciousness. I guess it was overshadowed, since I don't really even
remember it from the time.

I have a fairly vivid memory (and a copy on my bookshelf) because I
testified before the commission at the time.

One additional problem with the Paine report: it seems not to have an
executive summary, set of concise recommendations, or anything of the
kind (at least, not easily findable from
http://history.nasa.gov/painerep/begin.html ). If they just took the
same ideas, and put them in a nicer package, it might have made a
difference.

Could be, but I suspect that it wouldn't have made any difference,
particularly under the post-Challenger circumstances.

Old October 9th 03, 06:06 AM
Arthur Hansen

h (Rand Simberg) wrote in message . ..
...is the title of this week's Fox News column, in which I reflect on
NASA's forty-fifth anniversary.

Oh, cool. More "Bash NASA" drivel that really serves no purpose.

How about a solution, rather than bitch about the problem?

Arthur Hansen

Old October 9th 03, 06:41 AM
Rand Simberg

On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 23:06:54 CST, in a place far, far away,
(Arthur Hansen) made the phosphor on my monitor
glow in such a way as to indicate that:

(Rand Simberg) wrote in message . ..
...is the title of this week's Fox News column, in which I reflect on
NASA's forty-fifth anniversary.

Oh, cool. More "Bash NASA" drivel that really serves no purpose.

It serves no purpose to point out that there's a problem?

How about a solution, rather than bitch about the problem?

Old October 9th 03, 03:39 PM
LooseChanj

On or about Wed, 8 Oct 2003 23:41:10 CST, Rand Simberg
made the sensational claim that:
It serves no purpose to point out that there's a problem?

The first few thousand times, maybe. The umpteenth time, no.
--
This is a siggy | To E-mail, do note | This space is for rent
It's properly formatted | who you mean to reply-to | Inquire within if you

Old October 9th 03, 05:14 PM
Rand Simberg

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 08:39:24 CST, in a place far, far away, LooseChanj
made the phosphor on my monitor glow in such a
way as to indicate that:

On or about Wed, 8 Oct 2003 23:41:10 CST, Rand Simberg
made the sensational claim that:
It serves no purpose to point out that there's a problem?

The first few thousand times, maybe. The umpteenth time, no.

Sometimes one must continue to do it until the message gets across to
a sufficient number of people who can do something to fix it. Just
because you're aware of it, doesn't mean that Fox News readers are.

Old October 9th 03, 07:51 PM
Arthur Hansen

h (Rand Simberg) wrote in message . ..
Oh, cool. More "Bash NASA" drivel that really serves no purpose.

It serves no purpose to point out that there's a problem?

It is not constructive criticism, it is merely destructive.

All you've recently done is say how bad NASA is. And an biased view.

Biased? Yes. You pointed to the NASA problems on planetary
exploration, yet fail to mention that *everyone* and their dog has had
problems with their Mars probes. But you make it seem that NASA in
particular is having a problem there, when the oposite is generally
true.

If you continue blathering (and I meant that not against you, but the
article) you are going to marginilize your opinion and dilute what you
are trying to say.

Does NASA have problems? Hell, yes.

Is this the way to fix it? No, not really.

How about a solution, rather than bitch about the problem?

I did not notice anything that attempted to be a rational discussion
on fixing NASA in there, but I was turned off by the rehtoric in very
short order and didn't finish the article.

And of importance, all you are doing is feeding to the public is that
NASA can't do anything correct, they are totally innefectual which is
actually *making* NASA more innefectual. NASA may have problems, but
that is not accurate to the level implied.

Journalism is a potent device for social change, used incuatiously (or
deliberately) it can cause as many problems as it creates solutions.

Arthur Hansen

Old October 9th 03, 08:17 PM
Rand Simberg

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 12:51:45 CST, in a place far, far away,
(Arthur Hansen) made the phosphor on my monitor
glow in such a way as to indicate that:

(Rand Simberg) wrote in message . ..
Oh, cool. More "Bash NASA" drivel that really serves no purpose.

It serves no purpose to point out that there's a problem?

It is not constructive criticism, it is merely destructive.

In what way?

All you've recently done is say how bad NASA is. And an biased view.

Of course it's a biased view. Who doesn't have a biased view?

Biased? Yes. You pointed to the NASA problems on planetary
exploration, yet fail to mention that *everyone* and their dog has had
problems with their Mars probes.

I didn't know that "everyone and their dog" had attempted planetary
exploration.

But you make it seem that NASA in
particular is having a problem there, when the oposite is generally
true.

I discuss NASA because, well, that's the subject of the article. I
didn't defend ESA or the Russians.

If you continue blathering (and I meant that not against you, but the
article) you are going to marginilize your opinion and dilute what you
are trying to say.

In your opinion.

Does NASA have problems? Hell, yes.

Is this the way to fix it? No, not really.

Is what the way to fix it? I didn't recommend any particular fix. I
simply point out that one is required.

How about a solution, rather than bitch about the problem?

I did not notice anything that attempted to be a rational discussion
on fixing NASA in there, but I was turned off by the rehtoric in very
short order and didn't finish the article.

I've no idea what article you're talking about.

Talk about non-constructive criticism...

And of importance, all you are doing is feeding to the public is that
NASA can't do anything correct, they are totally innefectual which is
actually *making* NASA more innefectual. NASA may have problems, but
that is not accurate to the level implied.

What I implied is not necessarily what you chose to infer.

Journalism is a potent device for social change, used incuatiously (or
deliberately) it can cause as many problems as it creates solutions.

It can, but you've certainly made no case that it does in this
instance.

interglobal space lines * 307 733-1715 (Fax)
http://www.interglobal.org

Old October 10th 03, 01:57 AM
Joann Evans

LooseChanj wrote:

On or about Wed, 8 Oct 2003 23:41:10 CST, Rand Simberg
made the sensational claim that:
It serves no purpose to point out that there's a problem?

The first few thousand times, maybe. The umpteenth time, no.

Some people are new to the debate (or at least new to this NG).

--

You know what to remove, to reply....