solar glasses

Old March 7th 05, 08:10 PM
JLunis

Default solar glasses

This should be easy but I did a google search of this ng for 'solar
glasses' and came up (nearly) empty.
Where can I get a pair of solar glasses so I can view the coming partial
eclipse?
I found a reference to a company 'rainbow' something but the minimum
order seems to be 25 pair.
Found a reference to welder's glasses but I don't live next door to a
store that sells 'em.
Old March 7th 05, 08:49 PM
cloud dreamer

JLunis wrote:

This should be easy but I did a google search of this ng for 'solar
glasses' and came up (nearly) empty.
Where can I get a pair of solar glasses so I can view the coming partial
eclipse?
I found a reference to a company 'rainbow' something but the minimum
order seems to be 25 pair.
Found a reference to welder's glasses but I don't live next door to a
store that sells 'em.

If you don't live near a store that sells welder's goggles then you
don't live near anything that sells specialized solar glasses and will
have to get them off the internet. In other words, get a pair of
welder's goggles off the internet and ensure they're the proper 'grade'.

And check around locally. You'd be surprised who sells welder's goggles.
I found them at a place that specializes in selling dry ice and various
gases (a place called Liquid Air in Canada).

..

Old March 7th 05, 09:27 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , cloud dreamer
writes
JLunis wrote:

[...]

Good advice.
Rainbow" might be Rainbow Symphony, Inc.
http://www.rainbowsymphony.com/soleclipse.html and they do indeed have
a minimum order of 25. But as the glasses only cost a dollar each you
could buy lots and sell them to friends! (Usual disclaimer - I have no
connection with them and haven't even bought their product. If you type
"eclipse viewer" into a search engine you will get lots of hits)
Welder's goggles must be #14.
Another possibility would be to buy some Baader Astrosolar film and make
your own filter for a binocular or telescope. The manufacturer's page at
http://www.baader-planetarium.de/zub...olar_folie/ast
ro_solar.htm is in German but there are lots of other places that sell
it.

Old March 8th 05, 03:36 PM
kapella

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 15:10:17 -0500, JLunis wrote:

This should be easy but I did a google search of this ng for 'solar
glasses' and came up (nearly) empty.
Where can I get a pair of solar glasses so I can view the coming partial
eclipse?
I found a reference to a company 'rainbow' something but the minimum
order seems to be 25 pair.
Found a reference to welder's glasses but I don't live next door to a
store that sells 'em.

Here you go...
http://www.e-sci.com/telescopes/REND...052/10632.html

http://www.masmacon.com/store/eclipse/aislee.htm

Both these sites offer them for sale individually.

Kapella