Best Beginning Astronomy book?

Old September 1st 03, 07:09 PM
FERRANTE

Default Best Beginning Astronomy book?

What is considered the best book for newbies in Astronomy to read?

Thanks,
Mark Ferrante
Old September 1st 03, 07:12 PM
John Carruthers

Turn Left at Orion, IMHO,
it may not be one of the more serious or "deep" works but for the
conveyance of sheer enthusiasm it can't be beaten.
jc

---

Old September 1st 03, 08:43 PM
Mark Mastrocinque

"The Stars", by H.A. Rey.

Old September 1st 03, 09:01 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

It's fun and useful, but it is almost exclusively about the stars and
star mapping, and you would need another book or two to cover telescopes
and observing, and the moon and planets.

In message , Mark
Mastrocinque writes
"The Stars", by H.A. Rey.

.. .

--
"Forty millions of miles it was from us, more than forty millions of miles of
void"
Old September 1st 03, 09:42 PM
orion94nl

Hi Mark.

Have a look at my "Beginners pages"

http://www.backyard-astro.com/beginner/beginner.html

Here you will find my favourite books, magazines, links and software for
beginning astronomers (backyard or armchair).

Best regards

Math
http://www.backyard-astro.com

Old September 1st 03, 10:15 PM
DropZone01

I found "The Backyard Astronomer's Guide" by Terence Dickinson and Alan Dyer
to be very good, and "Night Watch" by Terence Dickinson to be a close
second.

The Backyard Astronomer's Guide
ISBN 0-921820-11-9

Night Watch
ISBN 1-55209-302-6

DropZone

Old September 5th 03, 03:54 AM
Scott Berg

I agree that Backyard is a great introduction. I heard that it's now in its
second edition, but I haven't had a chance to see it. What was updated?

Also, for a quick read and a pocket reference, I think a good choice is:
Cambridge Guide to Stargazing with your Telescope
Robin Scagell
ISBM 0-521-78448-4

Old September 6th 03, 07:25 AM
Painius

"FERRANTE" wrote in message ...

What is considered the best book for newbies in Astronomy to read?

Thanks,
Mark Ferrante

'Lo Mark --

Some may be becoming rare these days... just about
anything you can find on astronomy by Isaac Asimov is
truly great. It's because Asimov wrote his nonfiction
books pretty much with beginners in mind.

hth

happy days and...
starry starry nights!

--