Best Place To Look For Life In The Milky Way

Old August 31st 03, 02:50 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Default Best Place To Look For Life In The Milky Way

I would go with "globular clusters" This is a spherical group of about
a 100 million stars. One of its great features for intelligent
life to have plenty of time to evolve comes from this fact. The stars
these clusters contain are what our sun's age would be if we added 3
billion years. These stars were created at a time when hydrogen,helium
nebular(clouds) were very dense,but these clouds had no dust to help
gravity and electro-magnetizium to create fusion. They took lots of time
to become stars. This is the reason these stars last so long,they
have 100 of times less iron than the sun I read these stars do a lot of
traveling,and this means to me they could have picked up rock planets
going through space. Bert

Old August 31st 03, 04:07 PM
Bill Nunnelee

....or not.

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2..._psrplanet.htm

Most of the stars in globular clusters are even older than the 8 billion
years you quoted (5 billion for the Sun, plus 3). They formed at a time
when elements other than hydrogen and helium weren't very abundant in the
universe, so the complex organic molecules necessary for life couldn't have
formed either. (The capture a rogue planet might occasionally be possible,
but the planet itself would have to have formed later for the necessary
elements to be present. If that's the case, why not just look at stellar
systems that were coalescing during the same era? There, planets with
heavier elements would be the rule instead of the exception.)

Old September 1st 03, 02:05 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Bill You bring in the other side of the argument. That is good,for I
like ideas (thoughts) in every direction. We agree intelligent life
takes a long time to evolve. Stars that make up these
clusters are longer lasting than the sun. Bert

Old September 2nd 03, 03:07 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Ifanzian These clusters of stars are moving through space. Their gravity
would attract space dust. The planets in our solar system did not come
out of the sun. Look at all the rocks,and ice that make up the Oort
belt. I can't prove there are no planets in these 100 million star
clusters. Like you say is true for these early stars have less iron,and
other heavy elements now however being inside the Milky Way things could
be different. Bert.

Old September 3rd 03, 12:48 AM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

LIanzian You could be closer to reality than me. We will never know for
sure. I'll only ask for one planet in that group of 100 million stars
(fair?) Since I'm giving so much I want this planet to have 70% surface
water,and an average temperature of 60 degrees. Rotate once in 24 hours
have a moon of 2,000 miles in diameter(one fourth of the planets
diameter. If you give me that Lianzian I will give you the
other stars. "Please" Bert

Old September 3rd 03, 05:36 AM
Painius

Bert! Look again at your post below...

"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote in message...

LIanzian You could be closer to reality than me. We will never know for
sure. I'll only ask for one planet in that group of 100 million stars
(fair?) Since I'm giving so much I want this planet to have 70% surface
water,and an average temperature of 60 degrees. Rotate once in 24 hours
have a moon of 2,000 miles in diameter(one fourth of the planets
diameter. If you give me that Lianzian I will give you the
other stars. "Please" Bert

Here you appear to list things that are essential to life...

1) planet on which to live,

2) 70% surface water,

3) average temperature of 60 degrees (F),

4) appropriate rotational period,

5) LARGE MOON !!! (?)

So Bert, are we saying here that a large satellite such as
Earth's Moon is essential for the evolution of intelligent
life?

If so, this may vastly lower the chances of finding life in
other systems of the Milky Way!

happy days and...
starry starry nights!

--
"Oh give me please the Universe keys
That unlock all those mysteries!"

"Oh give me please the Happiness keys
That ease the pain of biting fleas!"
Today you seize you need no keys,
That door is always open.

Paine Ellsworth

Old September 3rd 03, 12:50 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Hi Painius I'm going with life as we know it. (earth life) I'm
going with what I thought life is a 100 million to one shot. The earth
has a big moon,and that helps stir things up. Bert