Mars moon I'm seeing???/

Old August 29th 03, 07:18 AM
Llanzlan Klazmon The 15th

Default Mars moon I'm seeing???/

".\\P3_KiT$T€R" wrote in
:

Am new with all this, but just got a Meade Telestar DS-60
with the motor thing and all, but find it's much easier to
move the scope by hand very carefully and slowly till
I can at least center Mars in the lens. Have a 3X Barlow
and 3 other little lenses, one being a tad longer than
the other 2. Seems best using that longer lens with the Barlow.
When slowly focusing in and out I see another round, not
potato shaped, object to the left and up above center of Mars.
What could this be?????

The moons of mars are currently mag 10.4 & 11.4. If you could see them
they would appear as dim star like dots. My guess would be that detecting
them in your scope would be unlikely. What you described sounds more like
a ghost image.i.e a reflection in the optics of your telescope.

I thought it was a moon of Mars
but it is a bit faint but very distinct!

Kit McGuire

Old September 1st 03, 08:54 AM
Don

".\\P3_KiT$T€R" wrote:

Am new with all this, but just got a Meade Telestar DS-60
with the motor thing and all, but find it's much easier to
move the scope by hand very carefully and slowly till
I can at least center Mars in the lens. Have a 3X Barlow
and 3 other little lenses, one being a tad longer than
the other 2. Seems best using that longer lens with the Barlow.
When slowly focusing in and out I see another round, not
potato shaped, object to the left and up above center of Mars.
What could this be????? I thought it was a moon of Mars
but it is a bit faint but very distinct!

Kit McGuire

..... Maybe it was Uranus, which is in close vicinity, taking an
unexpected dump!

LOL

PS. A word of warning, don't forget to wipe your optics after such a
close encounter of the dump kind!

.....seriuosly, it's probably coma