mars upside down ?

Old August 27th 03, 06:42 PM
called2preach2002

Default mars upside down ?

I viewed mars last night, from the northern hemisphere, with my cheesy
cheap-oh taso 11TR reflector. (sorry some people are low budget)

and, not being too accustom to this hobby, I didn't question what I
thought I was seeing.

the image I saw was definitely mars, I could make out the ice cap with
the 2x barlo installed. but it was on TOP of the round sphere we call mars.

but in posted professional photos I noticed it to be on the bottom of
the image.

Is this a trick done by the pros to confuse the simple and profound the
wise?
or is my scope doing an image reversal?

and if was viewing from the southern hemisphere, would it appear to be
on the bottom as the photos I have seen?

c2p02

Old August 27th 03, 06:48 PM
Starlord

That's normal.

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Bishop's Car Fund
http://www.bishopcarfund.Netfirms.com/
Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord

"called2preach2002" wrote in message
I viewed mars last night, from the northern hemisphere, with my cheesy
cheap-oh taso 11TR reflector. (sorry some people are low budget)

and, not being too accustom to this hobby, I didn't question what I
thought I was seeing.

the image I saw was definitely mars, I could make out the ice cap with
the 2x barlo installed. but it was on TOP of the round sphere we call mars.

but in posted professional photos I noticed it to be on the bottom of
the image.

Is this a trick done by the pros to confuse the simple and profound the
wise?
or is my scope doing an image reversal?

and if was viewing from the southern hemisphere, would it appear to be
on the bottom as the photos I have seen?

c2p02

---

Old August 27th 03, 08:46 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , called2preach2002
writes
I viewed mars last night, from the northern hemisphere, with my cheesy
cheap-oh taso 11TR reflector. (sorry some people are low budget)

and, not being too accustom to this hobby, I didn't question what I
thought I was seeing.

the image I saw was definitely mars, I could make out the ice cap with
the 2x barlo installed. but it was on TOP of the round sphere we call
mars.

but in posted professional photos I noticed it to be on the bottom of
the image.

Is this a trick done by the pros to confuse the simple and profound the
wise?
or is my scope doing an image reversal?

and if was viewing from the southern hemisphere, would it appear to be
on the bottom as the photos I have seen?

It would still be inverted. All astronomical telescopes invert the
image, unless you have a special lens that gives a normal image.
But it's the South pole you're seeing, and people seem to think of the
South pole being at the bottom (I don't know if Australians and other
southern hemisphere types think of it differently)
Are you seeing any markings on the disc? They are quite faint, so keep
trying. And if you have or can borrow a digital camera, try taking a
picture!
--
"Roads in space for rockets to travel....four-dimensional roads, curving with
relativity"
Old August 27th 03, 09:15 PM
CeeBee

called2preach2002 wrote in alt.astronomy:

I viewed mars last night, from the northern hemisphere, with my cheesy
cheap-oh taso 11TR reflector. (sorry some people are low budget)

My first scope was a very low budget, and I had lots of fun roaming the
night skies with it. If you win the lottery, check out Starlord's
Telescope FAQ (see other posting) for some good information about
choosing another.

and, not being too accustom to this hobby, I didn't question what I
thought I was seeing.

the image I saw was definitely mars, I could make out the ice cap with
the 2x barlo installed. but it was on TOP of the round sphere we call
mars.

but in posted professional photos I noticed it to be on the bottom of
the image.

Is this a trick done by the pros to confuse the simple and profound
the wise?
or is my scope doing an image reversal?

Maybe professional astronomers suppose we all stand on our head before
looking at the pictures....

and if was viewing from the southern hemisphere, would it appear to be
on the bottom as the photos I have seen?

Yes, but fortunately a south pole stays a south pole, either it's up or
down

For some telescope c.q. optics basics with drawings as why the image you
see is reversed:
http://www.synapses.co.uk/astro/optics.html

Good luck.

--
CeeBee

Uxbridge: "By God, sir, I've lost my leg!"
Wellington: "By God, sir, so you have!"

Google CeeBee @ www.geocities.com/ceebee_2

Old August 28th 03, 07:50 AM
called2preach2002

Thank you for the insight... It was my plan to take a picture tonight,
but that didn't happen, my cam adapter fits a standard Minolta SLR.
I don't have one, but my folks do. I went to their place after work
tonight to get it, and could not find it. I searched for about an hour
then found it. it hadn't been used for centuries I think LOL.

anyway, the button cell batteries are dead, and like most people, I
don't have a slew of new ones floating around the house.

by the time I got home I didn't have the time to setup. the west is
blocked from my back yard so i didn't have much time anymore to see mars
tonight.

oh well hopefully tomorrow.

look for my other post about camera settings.

as for markings... I could make out little green men pointing and
laughing at what THEY where seeing... HAHAH
no realy...I saw a shady line across the image.
and a bright "DOT" on top the image... icecap?
that was about it.
the image "WAVED", like the heat you see rising off a road in the summer
time. and also... and I don't know if this is my eyeball, of debris or
what, but I can see what looks like black spiderwebs over the image as
it moves across the viewing area. it kind of looks like the pattern that
you see from dried bubbles on a bar of soap. once the bubbles are gone.
i don't know if its my mirror, or what. this scope sat in the closet
since Halley. I haven't used it until now.
what should i do?

Lester
aka c2p02

Old August 31st 03, 09:21 AM
Painius

"Jonathan Silverlight" wrote...
in message ...

. . .
But it's the South pole you're seeing, and people seem to think of the
South pole being at the bottom (I don't know if Australians and other
southern hemisphere types think of it differently) . . .

'Lo Jonathan --

This made me think of the different kind of world maps you may
find depending upon where you happen to be. For example, i
was in Africa when i first came across a world map that depicted
the European and Asian continents on the left and the Americas
on the right (here in America we have maps that are the other way
around).

The striking thing about the African world map was that at first
glance it looked like a bear on the left going at it with a bird (eagle
or turkey?) on the right, and made me think of the cold war. Alaska
was the "head of the bird" and was just across the Bering Strait
from the northeastern Siberia region, "the head of the bear."

Yeah, yeah... what an imagination.

So let's hear from the Australians! Yo, Wally et al.... how are
the continents shown on ya'll's world maps? Asia on the left?
or right?

--
"Roads in space for rockets to travel....four-dimensional roads, curving with
relativity"
Mail to jsilverlight AT merseia.fsnet.co.uk is welcome.
Or visit Jonathan's Space Site http://www.merseia.fsnet.co.uk

happy days and...
starry starry nights!

--
A Universe of Beauty
Our Hubble often shows,

Paine Ellsworth

Old August 31st 03, 10:07 AM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message
, Painius
writes

This made me think of the different kind of world maps you may
find depending upon where you happen to be. For example, i
was in Africa when i first came across a world map that depicted
the European and Asian continents on the left and the Americas
on the right (here in America we have maps that are the other way
around).

I'm not sure I follow you. Do you mean the map is "upside down", or is
it just centred on Japan or the Pacific? (which makes sense if you live
there)
I can see that Africans have problems with this whole top, bottom, left
and right business, as their continent spans the Equator.
--
"Forty millions of miles it was from us, more than forty millions of miles of
void"
Old September 2nd 03, 01:49 PM
Painius

"Jonathan Silverlight" wrote...
in message ...

Painius writes in message...
,

This made me think of the different kind of world maps you may
find depending upon where you happen to be. For example, i
was in Africa when i first came across a world map that depicted
the European and Asian continents on the left and the Americas
on the right (here in America we have maps that are the other way
around).

I'm not sure I follow you. Do you mean the map is "upside down", or is
it just centred on Japan or the Pacific? (which makes sense if you live
there)
I can see that Africans have problems with this whole top, bottom, left
and right business, as their continent spans the Equator.
--
"Forty millions of miles it was from us, more than forty millions of miles of
void"

The map was "rightside up" as they say. North pole on
top, Antarctica on the bottom, and the Pacific Ocean in
the center.

happy days and...
starry starry nights!

--