Tele-Vue Cost - Justified?

Old August 25th 03, 09:14 PM
George S. Gray

Default Tele-Vue Cost - Justified?

Why is the Tele-Vue Ranger so expensive? It is very close to the price of a
six inch Celestron refractor.

I have a Ranger (white barrel from several years ago) and I know it is very
nice, but I always assumed that a Celestron refractor in the six inch range
would be much more expensive.

So would I be disappointed with the increase in viewing quality (planets,
lunar, and Messier list) if I went to a Celestron C6-R?

--
George S. Gray
Registered Patent Attorney

Frost Bank Office Center
Suite 200
Corpus Christi, Texas, 78411

361-855-8989
800-436-2544
Fax: 361-855-6069

Old August 26th 03, 01:52 AM
Llanzlan Klazmon The 15th

"George S. Gray" wrote in
:

Why is the Tele-Vue Ranger so expensive? It is very close to the
price of a six inch Celestron refractor.

I have a Ranger (white barrel from several years ago) and I know it is
very nice, but I always assumed that a Celestron refractor in the six
inch range would be much more expensive.

So would I be disappointed with the increase in viewing quality
(planets, lunar, and Messier list) if I went to a Celestron C6-R?

The Celestron will probably have a lot more false colour than the
Televue.You could fix that by buying one of Valery Deryuzhin's Chromacorrs.

http://www.apm-us.com/amateur/chromacorr.htm

Trouble is, they cost about US $600. Still, a Synta 6"er plus Chromacorr is
a lot cheaper than a genuine 6" APO. (Note that the Celestron refractor is
just a rebadged Synta). You have to order the right type of Chromacorr to
match the spherical aberation error present in the particular Synta scope
(the Chromacor corrects the spherical aberation as well as the false colour
but remember it is for visual use only - not designed for photography).

Llanzlan.