Celsstron vs. Meade

Old August 25th 03, 03:26 AM
David Grist

Default Celsstron vs. Meade

Hello All,

I'm fairly new to astronomy. I've decided to purchase the Celestron C6-RGT
or Meade's AR-6 refractor. I'm torn between the two. I've heard Meade has
production issues. I've heard nothing about the Celestron product.

My question is...

Which would you prefer? Pro's and Con's to both would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks!

Old August 25th 03, 03:21 PM
Bobsprit

I've heard Meade has
production issues. I've heard nothing about the Celestron product.

You've heard right. Meade continues to spend money on ads, while shipping
lemons to the buyer.
I would NEVER by a Meade, unless it was used scope that I could test with any
and all problems resolved by the previous owner.
That said, I've never owned a Meade scope. But I know many unhappy folk who
have. Scopes vary in quality, even from good companies like Celestron, but
Meade's history is below awful in this regard. You might get a "gem" from
Celestron or just an "okay" scope. From Meade you may get a scope that's DOA,
with BAD optics and end up with a brain tumor to correct the issues.

Capt RB
Old August 26th 03, 12:43 AM
Darrell

I'm very happy with the Celestron that I purchased. At first I was
considering a Meade; it looked nice on display at Walmart. After I
purchased my Celestron 114mm, I compared it with the Meade; the quality of
the Meade didn't come close to what I had already purchased. I feel that I
made a great choice purchasing the Meade. It's just a better product all
the way around.

The only problem however that I am having is not with the scope but with my
own intelect. Aligning this thing isn't a simple task. Location / knowledge
of some stars are required to align it properly.

Old August 26th 03, 12:46 AM
Darrell

OOPS! Please let me correct my last reply! How could I wrote that? God
only knows. Anyway, I purchased a Celestron, NOT and Meade.

I'm very happy with the Celestron that I purchased. At first I was
considering a Meade; it looked nice on display at Walmart. After I
purchased my Celestron 114mm, I compared it with the Meade; the quality of
the Meade didn't come close to what I had already purchased. I feel that I
made a great choice purchasing the CELESTRON. It's just a better product