What makes up mars

Old August 20th 03, 11:51 AM
James

Default What makes up mars

Does anyone know what rocks, minerals etc that make up mars?

thanks

Old August 20th 03, 12:32 PM
Ron Miller

The whole planet? Pretty much the same stuff that makes up the earth.

RM

Old August 20th 03, 12:40 PM
Bobsprit

The whole planet? Pretty much the same stuff that makes up the earth.

Wonka Bars?

Capt RB
Old August 20th 03, 04:40 PM
CeeBee

"Ron Miller" wrote in alt.astronomy:

The whole planet? Pretty much the same stuff that makes up the earth.

The only slight exception could be the core. Mars has a much weaker
magnetic field, which could mean a difference in core substance if
compared to the fluid iron core of the Earth; maybe it's made up from and
iron/nickle alloys and sulfides.

For the rest the crust is a lot of silicate, the mantle some iron and
magnesium, and overall other earthbased-stuff indeed.

--
CeeBee

Uxbridge: "By God, sir, I've lost my leg!"
Wellington: "By God, sir, so you have!"

Google CeeBee @ www.geocities.com/ceebee_2

Old August 21st 03, 03:50 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Hi James Well Mars is called the "red planet" Seems two-thirds of
Mars surface are very dry and covered by dust sand and rock. We have a
mineral in our deserts called "limonite" it is brick-colored. Seems Mars
has lots of this limonite blowing around on its surface,and is the
reason for Mars being called the "red planet" The poles have frozen
carbon dioxide (dry ice) If there once was water on Mars surface theory
has it going underground. My theory has ultraviolet photons from the sun
breaking down the water (H2O) photolysis and the hydrogen lost to space.
The reason I don't like Mars having had its water flowing underground to
hid it" is this". Ice does not flow,and Mars is very cold. The proof of
this is our biggest earth area(Antarctica) is just about all solid
water(ice) Bert.

Old August 21st 03, 07:21 PM
Bill Duncan

G=EMC^2 Glazier wrote:

Ice does not flow,and Mars is very cold. The proof of
this is our biggest earth area(Antarctica) is just about all solid
water(ice) Bert.

Bert,Ice does flow.On Earth we have what are called glaciers and they

move slowly but they move.I found this site on Google by simply typing
in "movement of glaciers".Do a little homework Bert.
http://www.glacier.rice.edu/land/5_icemovement.html
Old August 21st 03, 09:31 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Bill Bad analogy. It is true ice breaks ofF here on earth and floats
away. How do you equate this on the very dry and cold surface of Mars?
Bert PS Bill do a little thinking please

Old August 21st 03, 11:39 PM
Bill Duncan

In article , Bill
Duncan wrote:

In article ,
G=EMC^2 Glazier wrote:

Bill Bad analogy. It is true ice breaks ofF here on earth and floats
away. How do you equate this on the very dry and cold surface of Mars?
Bert PS Bill do a little thinking please

It was not an analogy, it was a responce to your inaccurate post that

ice does not flow.It had nothing to do with Mars.Bert,you need to do a
little thinking.

Bert,here is another URL that you may find interesting.It's from a

professor that has a theory that ice carved the canals on Mars.
http://www.spacedaily.com/news/mars-...ience-01b.html
Old August 22nd 03, 07:10 PM
David Knisely

Bert posted:

Seems Mars
has lots of this limonite blowing around on its surface,and is the
reason for Mars being called the "red planet"

It also may have the minerals known as Hematite, goethite, and ferrihydrite.

The poles have frozen
carbon dioxide (dry ice) If there once was water on Mars surface theory
has it going underground.

There still is water on the surface, at least at the north pole, in the form
of water ice.
--
David W. Knisely
Prairie Astronomy Club:

* July 27-Aug. 1st, 2003, Merritt Reservoir *
* http://www.NebraskaStarParty.org *

Old August 24th 03, 01:44 AM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

With those huge mountains created by tremendous pressure I have a gut
feeling buried in the sand are millions of diamonds. What would a Mars
diamond be worth? Someday we might see a diamond rush to Mars. Bert