Alpha Centauri anyone?

Old October 17th 12, 12:09 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Nun Giver

Default Alpha Centauri anyone?

Perhaps its got some planets. Apparently a hot one anyway.

If it is a generation ship, I want a hot gal for the
long trip. Could people stay sane on the long trip?
Try raising kids in a small apartment with no play
field?

Anyway, examining the system should be a bit more
possible? Or not?

............Trig
Old October 17th 12, 01:46 PM posted to sci.space.policy
hg

On 17/10/2012 16:09, Nun Giver wrote:
Perhaps its got some planets. Apparently a hot one anyway.

If it is a generation ship, I want a hot gal for the
long trip. Could people stay sane on the long trip?
Try raising kids in a small apartment with no play
field?

Anyway, examining the system should be a bit more
possible? Or not?

...........Trig

Way back in the early 80's I read a science article about just such
a mission to one of our nearest stars. It actually went into quite
a bit of detail - from describing the most likely propulsion system
of the interstellar vessel to the method of exploration of the planets
found around the star.

Sure got my mind wondering at the possibilities of a mission like
that. The first mission was described as entirely robotic with
planetary exploration carried out by Artificial Intelligence(s)
programmed into the robotic explorers.

Anyway, we've found a planet nearby so I'm sure there'll be lots of
proposals for missions. Exciting times we live in.

Old October 17th 12, 03:04 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Raven[_2_]

"Nun Giver" skrev i meddelelsen

Perhaps its got some planets. Apparently a hot one anyway.

If it is a generation ship, I want a hot gal for the
long trip. Could people stay sane on the long trip?
Try raising kids in a small apartment with no play
field?

Depends on how big the generation ship is. I'm not holding my breath
about O'Neill-type space habitats, but if they are built, and if experience
teaches us that a happy life is the norm for those who live in them (I hope
both and have faith in neither), then a generation ship can be a whole small
country consisting of a cluster of counties, interlinked miles-sized spheres
and cylinders. At best, think in terms of domed and tamed versions of
Yosemite and the Everglades, for when you want a change from the domed
cities and domed Barbados, while on your journey towards another star system
that your grandparents started and your grandkids will see the end of..

Jon Lennart Beck.

Old October 21st 12, 06:34 AM posted to sci.space.policy
David Spain

On 10/17/2012 7:09 AM, Nun Giver wrote:
Perhaps its got some planets. Apparently a hot one anyway.

If it is a generation ship, I want a hot gal for the
long trip. Could people stay sane on the long trip?
Try raising kids in a small apartment with no play
field?

Generation ships seem like a huge waste of resources
to simply maintain life support for the journey. One needs to keep
in mind the mission goal. If its long term life aboard a space habitat,
you don't have to send it out of the solar system to accomplish that.
That plus the original 'explorers' will never live to complete the mission
and who's to say their progeny's progeny will care?

A much better use of resources for a star-ship is a 'clone' ship.
Fully automated; it consumes only the energy needed to power
the drive, navigation and self-sustaining automation. When it reaches its
destination it scouts for habitable planets.

If it doesn't find any perhaps it remains in stellar orbit waiting further
orders from Earth. Or perhaps it proceeds on its own to a more promising
destination or perhaps it returns to Earth.

However, if it finds one it sends off a 'lander/habitat' which then either clones
or in-vitro fertilizes babies from DNA synthesized from copies of the ancestral
'explorers' stored in the on-board A/I.

The children are raised by android 'adoptive parents' until the A/I
decides they have matured enough to be put in charge.

True they weren't given a life on Earth or in Space, but then again they
can't miss what was never an option.

Dave

Old October 21st 12, 05:53 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Doug Freyburger

David Spain wrote:
Nun Giver wrote:

Perhaps its got some planets. Apparently a hot one anyway.

If it is a generation ship, I want a hot gal for the
long trip. Could people stay sane on the long trip?
Try raising kids in a small apartment with no play
field?

Generation ships seem like a huge waste of resources
to simply maintain life support for the journey. One needs to keep
in mind the mission goal. If its long term life aboard a space habitat,
you don't have to send it out of the solar system to accomplish that.
That plus the original 'explorers' will never live to complete the mission
and who's to say their progeny's progeny will care?

Generation ships make sense in the Oort cloud as much as star to star.

A much better use of resources for a star-ship is a 'clone' ship.
Fully automated; it consumes only the energy needed to power
the drive, navigation and self-sustaining automation. When it reaches its
destination it scouts for habitable planets.

If it doesn't find any perhaps it remains in stellar orbit waiting further
orders from Earth. Or perhaps it proceeds on its own to a more promising
destination or perhaps it returns to Earth.

However, if it finds one it sends off a 'lander/habitat' which then either clones
or in-vitro fertilizes babies from DNA synthesized from copies of the ancestral
'explorers' stored in the on-board A/I.

The children are raised by android 'adoptive parents' until the A/I
decides they have matured enough to be put in charge.

True they weren't given a life on Earth or in Space, but then again they
can't miss what was never an option.

I figure most stars have asteriod belts, Kuiper belts and/or Oort
clouds. Habitable planets, far fewer. Colonies can be built in the
belts of far more stars than on the planets.
Old October 21st 12, 10:27 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Oct 17, 4:09*am, Nun Giver wrote:
Perhaps its got some planets. Apparently a hot one anyway.

If it is a generation ship, I want a hot gal for the
long trip. Could people stay sane on the long trip?
Try raising kids in a small apartment with no play
field?

Anyway, examining the system should be a bit more
possible? Or not?

...........Trig

Since it's not possible to fix this planet Earth, perhaps the multi
generation space ships would offer the only one-way ticket to ride.

Hopefully another Goldilocks Eden kind of planet will exist with only
human friendly organics and hosting existing life that's all eatable.
As otherwise we'll have to start proxy wars in order to justify
hoarding and insider market trading so as to extort as much profits
and/or benefits in return for the sharing of anything that'll help us
to survive upon any new world or moon of a sufficient gas giant.

http://groups.google.com/groups/search
http://translate.google.com/#

Old October 22nd 12, 12:36 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Sylvia Else

On 17/10/2012 10:09 PM, Nun Giver wrote:
Perhaps its got some planets. Apparently a hot one anyway.

If it is a generation ship, I want a hot gal for the
long trip.

Alas, we hot gals don't stay hot for decades.

Sylvia.

Old October 22nd 12, 12:38 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Sylvia Else

On 22/10/2012 8:27 AM, Brad Guth wrote:
On Oct 17, 4:09 am, Nun Giver wrote:
Perhaps its got some planets. Apparently a hot one anyway.

If it is a generation ship, I want a hot gal for the
long trip. Could people stay sane on the long trip?
Try raising kids in a small apartment with no play
field?

Anyway, examining the system should be a bit more
possible? Or not?

...........Trig

Since it's not possible to fix this planet Earth,

Does it need fixing?

True, there are some major extinctions going on, largly because of our
own actions, but the Earth has had those before. Indeed, we ourselves
exist because of them.

Otherwise, the planet seems in pretty good shape to me.

Sylvia.

Old October 22nd 12, 12:54 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Sylvia Else

On 22/10/2012 10:42 AM, Fred J. McCall wrote:
Sylvia Else wrote:

On 17/10/2012 10:09 PM, Nun Giver wrote:
Perhaps its got some planets. Apparently a hot one anyway.

If it is a generation ship, I want a hot gal for the
long trip.

Alas, we hot gals don't stay hot for decades.

That's why it's a generation ship. When they hit mid-40s, trade 'em
in for a pair of 22 year olds. :-)

Hmmm.

Does that mean I get to swap my balding pot bellied partner for a young
hunk?

Sylvia.
Old October 22nd 12, 01:59 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Brad Guth[_3_]

On Oct 21, 4:38*pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
On 22/10/2012 8:27 AM, Brad Guth wrote:

On Oct 17, 4:09 am, Nun Giver wrote:
Perhaps its got some planets. Apparently a hot one anyway.

If it is a generation ship, I want a hot gal for the
long trip. Could people stay sane on the long trip?
Try raising kids in a small apartment with no play
field?

Anyway, examining the system should be a bit more
possible? Or not?

...........Trig

Since it's not possible to fix this planet Earth,

Does it need fixing?

Very much so, but you and others of your kind seem to care less.

True, there are some major extinctions going on, largly because of our
own actions, but the Earth has had those before. Indeed, we ourselves
exist because of them.

Are you suggesting there were advanced humans as of long before the
last ice age, as having caused the previous ice-age before the last
one to melt?

We seem to have been the last complex species of global biodiversity
invented, intelligent engineered or random happenstance evolved out of
everything else, except somehow our genetic code has lost 99% of all
the really good survival and better quality of improved mortality
stuff somewhere along the line.

Otherwise, the planet seems in pretty good shape to me.

Sylvia.

By all means GW Bush, Dick Cheney, Kissinger and Hitler would all
agree with that.

How many within your immediate family have recently died from
contaminated water, lack of fresh water, various infections or
poisoning along with insufficient food, poor housing or woefully
deficient medical care?

Have you been having to live on the street?

Have you ever begged for food, housing or even transportation?

I'm certain your local Oligarchs and Rothschilds as living large can't
identifying anything that needs fixing, other than a much bigger
protective mote with dozens more of those cranky and always hungry
alligators protecting their estates.