Does anyone doubt theres life beyond earth?

Old June 11th 12, 12:19 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Bob Haller

Default Does anyone doubt theres life beyond earth?

anyone? and why?
Old June 11th 12, 01:52 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Nun Giver

On Sunday, June 10, 2012 4:19:04 PM UTC-7, bob haller wrote:
anyone? and why?

Doubt is good. Got an example of a confirmed find?
I'll guess the solar system is sterile except for the planet Earth.

On the other hand, my sense is if there is another Earth-like planet
with life, it won't be compatible with life on Earth.

Trig
Old June 11th 12, 02:21 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Sylvia Else[_2_]

On 11/06/2012 9:19 AM, bob haller wrote:
anyone? and why?

Life at the single cell level? Maybe.

To get beyond that has taken billions of years on Earth. To get to
intelligent life has also taken a bizarre sequence of events, including
at least one near extinction of our ancestors.

So perhaps I wouldn't go so far as to say I doubt there's life beyond
Earth, but intelligent life may be so improbable as to mean that we're
the only example in the Universe.

Sylvia.
Old June 11th 12, 03:33 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Greg \(Strider\) Moore

"bob haller" wrote in message

anyone? and why?

Well, given the size of the universe, the number of places we've found life
on earth under extreme conditions and the fact that we can already detect
some precursors in clouds in space, I'd be surprised if there isn't life of
some form elsewhere.

But firstly, that doesn't mean we'd recognize it (though I suspect we
probably would, at least eventually).

Secondly, as Sylvia says, the question of if there is intelligent life, is
bigger one. Given how short the presence of intelligent life has been on
Earth, I think it's exceedingly rare, to the point that it's quite possible
we might be it, at least in this galaxy. It's also quite likely that
intelligent life just doesn't last long enough to make an impact. It might
NOT provide a great enough evolutionary advantage.

And while I'm sure you've heard of it, google Fermi Paradox

Old June 11th 12, 05:05 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
"Greg \(Strider\) Moore" wrote:

"bob haller" wrote in message

[...]

As for the Fermi Paradox, there are those among us who, judging from
many of the post we see on the Internet, might question the existence of
intelligent life on Earth. ;)
Old June 11th 12, 05:26 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Sylvia Else[_2_]

And while I'm sure you've heard of it, google Fermi Paradox

Although the answer to that may just be that it's too damned difficult
both to travel between the stars, and to make oneself noticed by other
means.

Maybe if we were more intelligence we'd see ways, but here's the rub -
evolution gave us intelligence because it helped us survive a severe
drought in Africa, not so that we could become a starfaring race. Once
we'd evolved the intelligence required to cope, we stopped evolving in
that direction.

Any other race would likely face the same obstacle.

Sylvia.

Old June 11th 12, 05:41 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Alan Erskine[_3_]

On 11/06/2012 9:19 AM, bob haller wrote:
anyone? and why?

No doubt whatsoever. Reason: Big universe.