Daily Report #4498

Old December 3rd 07, 03:02 PM posted to sci.astro.hubble
Cooper, Joe

Default Daily Report #4498

Notice: Due to the conversion of some ACS WFC or HRC observations into
WFPC2, or NICMOS observations after the loss of ACS CCD science
capability in January, there may be an occasional discrepancy between
a proposal's listed (and correct) instrument usage and the abstract
that follows it.

DAILY REPORT***** # 4498

PERIOD COVERED: UT November 30 December 1, 2, 2007 (DOY 334,335,336)

OBSERVATIONS SCHEDULED

NIC1/NIC2/NIC3 8794

NICMOS Post-SAA calibration - CR Persistence Part 5

A new procedure proposed to alleviate the CR-persistence problem of
NICMOS. Dark frames will be obtained immediately upon exiting the SAA
contour 23, and every time a NICMOS exposure is scheduled within 50
minutes of coming out of the SAA. The darks will be obtained in
parallel in all three NICMOS Cameras. The POST-SAA darks will be non-
standard reference files available to users with a USEAFTER date/time
mark. The keyword 'USEAFTER=date/time' will also be added to the
header of each POST-SAA DARK frame. The keyword must be populated with
the time, in addition to the date, because HST crosses the SAA ~8
times per day so each POST-SAA DARK will need to have the appropriate
time specified, for users to identify the ones they need. Both the raw
and processed images will be archived as POST-SAA DARKs. Generally we
expect that all NICMOS science/calibration observations started within
50 minutes of leaving an SAA will need such maps to remove the CR
persistence from the science images. Each observation will need its
own CRMAP, as different SAA passages leave different imprints on the
NICMOS detectors.

WFPC2 11361

Hubble Heritage Observations of Mars at 2007 Opposition

We will obtain images of Mars at opposition in December 2007.

NIC3 11334

NICMOS Cycle 16 Spectrophotometry

Observation of the three primary WD flux standards must be repeated to
refine the NICMOS absolute calibration and monitor for sensitivity
degradation. So far, NICMOS grism spectrophotometry is available for
only ~16 stars with good STIS spectra at shorter wavelengths. There
are more in the HST CALSPEC standard star data base with good STIS
spectra that would also become precise IR standards with NICMOS
absolute SED measurements. Monitoring the crucial three very red stars
(M, L, T) for variability and better S/N in the IR. Apparent
variability was discovered at shorter wavelengths during the ACS
cross-calibration work that revealed a ~2% discrepancy of the cool
star fluxes with respect to the hot primary WD standards. About a
third of these stars are bright enough to do in one orbit, the rest
require 2 orbits.

ACS/SBC 11323

Improved Wavelengths Calibration of SBC Prisms

We propose to check and improve the wavelength calibration of the SBC
PR110L and PR130L prisms by observing an additional calibrator target
for which observations failed in Cycle 14. Previous calibration
programs included two QSOs at redshifts z = 0.098 (PG1404+226), z =
0.168 (PG1322+659), and z=0.234 (PB5723), but the observation of a
further QSO at z = 0.313 (3C249.1) failed. This proposals aims to
obtain observations of 3C249.1. The observations of PB5723 show
adequate agreement of the wavelength of the Lyman alphaline as a
function of position but, while the rms is around 0.5 pixel, some
spectra show evidence of stretching of the wavelength scale. Given the
steeply increased use of the SBC prims in Cycle 16 it is desirable to
obtain additional observations in order to check the existing
calibration, identify any trends with time and thus improve the SBC
prism wavelength calibration.

S/C 11320

NICMOS Focus Monitoring Cycle 16

This program is a version of the standard focus sweep used since cycle
7. It has been modified to go deeper and uses more narrow filters for
improved focus determination. A new source was added in Cycle 14 in
order to accommodate 2-gyro mode: the open cluster NGC1850. This
source is part of the current proposal. The old target, the open
cluster NGC3603, will be used whenever available and the new target
used to fill the periods when NGC3603 is not visible. Steps: a) Use
refined target field positions as determined from cycle 7 calibrations
b) Use MULTIACCUM sequences of sufficient dynamic range to account for
defocus c) Do a 17-point focus sweep, +/- 8mm about the PAM mechanical
zeropoint for each cameras 1 and 2, in 1.0mm steps. For NIC3 we step
from -0.5mm to -9.5mm relative to mechanical zero, in steps of 1.0mm.
d) Use PAM X/Y tilt and OTA offset slew compensations refined from
previous focus monitoring/optical alignment activities.

FGS 11212

Filling the Period Gap for Massive Binaries

The current census of binaries among the massive O-type stars is
seriously incomplete for systems in the period range from years to
millennia because the radial velocity variations are too small and the
angular separations too close for easy detection. Here we propose to
discover binaries in this observational gap through a Faint Guidance
Sensor SNAP survey of relatively bright targets listed in the Galactic
O Star Catalog. Our primary goal is to determine the binary frequency
among those in the cluster/association, field, and runaway groups. The
results will help us assess the role of binaries in massive star
formation and in the processes that lead to the ejection of massive
stars from their natal clusters. The program will also lead to the
identification of new, close binaries that will be targets of long
term spectroscopic and high angular resolution observations to
determine their masses and distances. The results will also be
important for the interpretation of the spectra of suspected and newly
identified binary and multiple systems.

WFPC2 11202

The Structure of Early-type Galaxies: 0.1-100 Effective Radii

The structure, formation and evolution of early-type galaxies is still
largely an open problem in cosmology: how does the Universe evolve
from large linear scales dominated by dark matter to the highly
non-linear scales of galaxies, where baryons and dark matter both play
important, interacting, roles? To understand the complex physical
processes involved in their formation scenario, and why they have the
tight scaling relations that we observe today {e.g. the Fundamental
Plane}, it is critically important not only to understand their
stellar structure, but also their dark-matter distribution from the
smallest to the largest scales. Over the last three years the SLACS
collaboration has developed a toolbox to tackle these issues in a
unique and encompassing way by combining new non-parametric strong
lensing techniques, stellar dynamics, and most recently weak
gravitational lensing, with high-quality Hubble Space Telescope
imaging and VLT/Keck spectroscopic data of early-type lens systems.
This allows us to break degeneracies that are inherent to each of
these techniques separately and probe the mass structure of early-type
galaxies from 0.1 to 100 effective radii. The large dynamic range to
which lensing is sensitive allows us both to probe the clumpy
substructure of these galaxies, as well as their low-density outer
haloes. These methods have convincingly been demonstrated, by our
team, using smaller pilot-samples of SLACS lens systems with HST data.
In this proposal, we request observing time with WFPC2 and NICMOS to
observe 53 strong lens systems from SLACS, to obtain complete
multi-color imaging for each system. This would bring the total number
of SLACS lens systems to 87 with completed HST imaging and effectively
doubles the known number of galaxy-scale strong lenses. The deep HST
images enable us to fully exploit our new techniques, beat down
low-number statistics, and probe the structure and evolution of
early-type galaxies, not only with a uniform data-set an order of
magnitude larger than what is available now, but also with a fully
coherent and self-consistent methodological approach!

WFPC2 11178

Probing Solar System History with Orbits, Masses, and Colors of
Transneptunian Binaries

The recent discovery of numerous transneptunian binaries {TNBs} opens
a window into dynamical conditions in the protoplanetary disk where
they formed as well as the history of subsequent events which sculpted
the outer Solar System and emplaced them onto their present day
heliocentric orbits. To date, at least 47 TNBs have been discovered,
but only about a dozen have had their mutual orbits and separate
colors determined, frustrating their use to investigate numerous
important scientific questions. The current shortage of data
especially cripples scientific investigations requiring statistical
comparisons among the ensemble characteristics. We propose to obtain
sufficient astrometry and photometry of 23 TNBs to compute their
mutual orbits and system masses and to determine separate primary and
secondary colors, roughly tripling the sample for which this
information is known, as well as extending it to include systems of
two near-equal size bodies. To make the most efficient possible use of
HST, we will use a Monte Carlo technique to optimally schedule our
observations.

NIC2 11142

Revealing the Physical Nature of Infrared Luminous Galaxies at 0.3

We aim to determine physical properties of IR luminous galaxies at
0.3z2.7 by requesting coordinated HST/NIC2 and MIPS 70um observations
of a unique, 24um flux- limited sample with complete Spitzer mid-IR
spectroscopy. The 150 sources investigated in this program have S{24um}
0.8mJy and their mid-IR spectra have already provided the majority

targets with spectroscopic redshifts {0.3z2.7}. The proposed
150~orbits of NIC2 and 66~hours of MIPS 70um will provide the physical
measurements of the light distribution at the rest-frame ~8000A and
better estimates of the bolometric luminosity. Combining these
parameters together with the rich suite of spectral diagnostics from
the mid-IR spectra, we will {1} measure how common mergers are among
LIRGs and ULIRGs at 0.3z2.7, and establish if major mergers are the
drivers of z1 ULIRGs, as in the local Universe. {2} study the
co-evolution of star formation and blackhole accretion by
investigating the relations between the fraction of starburst/AGN
measured from mid-IR spectra vs. HST morphologies, L{bol} and z. {3}
obtain the current best estimates of the far- IR emission, thus L{bol}
for this sample, and establish if the relative contribtuion of mid-to-
far IR dust emission is correlated with morphology {resolved vs.
unresolved}.

WFPC2 11130

AGNs with Intermediate-mass Black Holes: Testing the Black Hole-Bulge
Paradigm, Part II

The recent progress in the study of central black holes in galactic
nuclei has led to a general consensus that supermassive {10^6-10^9
solar mass} black holes are closely connected with the formation and
evolutionary history of large galaxies, especially their bulge
component. Two outstanding issues, however, remain unresolved. Can
central black holes form in the absence of a bulge? And does the mass
function of central black holes extend below 10^6 solar masses?
Intermediate-mass black holes {10^6 solar masses}, if they exist, may
offer important clues to the nature of the seeds of supermassive black
holes. Using the SDSS, our group has successfully uncovered a new
population of AGNs with intermediate-mass black holes that reside in
low-luminosity galaxies. However, very little is known about the
detailed morphologies or structural parameters of the host galaxies
themselves, including the crucial question of whether they have bulges
or not. Surprisingly, the majority of the targets of our Cycle 14
pilot program have structural properties similar to dwarf elliptical
galaxies. The statistics from this initial study, however, are really
too sparse to reach definitive conclusions on this important new class
of black holes. We wish to extend this study to a larger sample, by
using the Snapshot mode to obtain WFPC2 F814W images from a parent
sample of 175 AGNs with intermediate-mass black holes selected from
our final SDSS search. We are particularly keen to determine whether
the hosts contain bulges, and if so, how the fundamental plane
properties of the host depend on the mass of their central black
holes. We will also investigate the environment of this unique class
of AGNs.

WFPC2 11125

The Dynamical Evolution of Globular Clusters

Globular clusters evolve through dynamical interactions, with
primordial binaries extending the time until core collapse by up to an
order of magnitude, depending on the initial binary fraction. These
dynamical interactions plus mass segregation causes the binary
fraction to rise in the core but fall at larger radii. We hope to
eventually test these broad predictions by comparing them to the
binary properties for globular clusters at different states of
evolution, defined by the ratio of their age to the dynamical
relaxation time at the half-light radius. The most important unknown
aspects in the modeling process are the initial conditions of binaries
in the cluster. Here we propose to determine the initial binary
fraction as a function of radius by studying three of the dynamically
youngest globular clusters {NGC 5053, NGC 5466, and NGC 5897}. The
presence of binaries thickens the Main Sequence in a color-magnitude
diagram, which can be detected with deep multicolor images.

WFPC2 11103

A Snapshot Survey of The Most Massive Clusters of Galaxies

We propose the continuation of our highly successful SNAPshot survey
of a sample of 125 very X-ray luminous clusters in the redshift range
0.3-0.7. As demonstrated by the 25 snapshots obtained so far in
Cycle14 and Cycle15 these systems frequently exhibit strong
gravitational lensing as well as spectacular examples of violent
galaxy interactions. The proposed observations will provide important
constraints on the cluster mass distributions, the physical nature of
galaxy-galaxy and galaxy-gas interactions in cluster cores, and a set
of optically bright, lensed galaxies for further 8-10m spectroscopy.
All of our primary science goals require only the detection and
characterization of high-surface-brightness features and are thus
achievable even at the reduced sensitivity of WFPC2. Because of their
high redshift and thus compact angular scale our target clusters are
less adversely affected by the smaller field of view of WFPC2 than
more nearby systems. Acknowledging the broad community interest in
this sample we waive our data rights for these observations. Due to a
clerical error at STScI our approved Cycle15 SNAP program was barred
from execution for 3 months and only 6 observations have been
performed to date - reinstating this SNAP at Cycle16 priority is of
paramount importance to reach meaningful statistics.

WFPC2 11079

Treasury Imaging of Star Forming Regions in the Local Group:
Complementing the GALEX and NOAO Surveys

We propose to use WFPC2 to image the most interesting star-forming
regions in the Local Group galaxies, to resolve their young stellar
populations. We will use a set of filters including F170W, which is
critical to detect and characterize the most massive stars, to whose
hot temperatures colors at longer wavelengths are not sensitive.
WFPC2's field of view ideally matches the typical size of the
star-forming regions, and its spatial resolution allows us to measure
individual stars, given the proximity of these galaxies. The resulting
H-R diagrams will enable studies of star-formation properties in these
regions, which cover largely differing metallicities {a factor of 17,
compared to the factor of 4 explored so far} and characteristics. The
results will further our understanding of the star-formation process,
of the interplay between massive stars and environment, the properties
of dust, and will provide the key to interpret integrated measurements
of star-formation indicators {UV, IR, Halpha} available for several
hundreds more distant galaxies. Our recent deep surveys of these
galaxies with GALEX {FUV, NUV} and ground-based imaging {UBVRI,
Halpha, [OIII] and [SII]} provided the identification of the most
relevant SF sites. In addition to our scientific analysis, we will
provide catalogs of HST photometry in 6 bands, matched corollary
ground-based data, and UV, Halpha and IR integrated measurements of
the associations, for comparison of integrated star-formation indices
to the resolved populations. We envisage an EPO component.

WFPC2 11029

WFPC2 CYCLE 15 Intflat Linearity Check and Filter Rotation Anomaly
Monitor

Intflat observations will be taken to provide a linearity check: the
linearity test consists of a series of intflats in F555W, in each gain
and each shutter. A combination of intflats, visflats, and earthflats
will be used to check the repeatability of filter wheel motions.
{Intflat sequences tied to decons, visits 1-18 in prop 10363, have
been moved to the cycle 15 decon proposal xxxx for easier scheduling.}
Note: long-exposure WFPC2 intflats must be scheduled during ACS
anneals to prevent stray light from the WFPC2 lamps from contaminating
long ACS external exposures.

WFPC2 11027

Visible Earth Flats

This proposal monitors flatfield stability. This proposal obtains
sequences of Earth streak flats to construct high quality flat fields
for the WFPC2 filter set. These flat fields will allow mapping of the
OTA illumination pattern and will be used in conjunction with previous
internal and external flats to generate new pipeline superflats. These
Earth flats will complement the Earth flat data obtained during cycles
4-14.

WFPC2 11020

Cycle 15 Focus Monitor

The focus of HST is measured primarily with ACS/HRC over full CVZ
orbits to obtain accurate mean focus values via a well sampled
breathing curve. Coma and astigmatism are also determined from the
same data in order to further understand orbital effects on image
quality and optical alignments. To monitor the stability of ACS to
WFPC2 relative focii, we've carried over from previous focus monitor
programs parallel observations taken with the two cameras at suitable
orientations of previously observed targets, and interspersed them
with the HRC CVZ visits.

WFPC2 11011

Dissecting An Accretion Disk

We will use 5 epochs of CXO and HST imaging to determine the X-ray and
UV size of the accretion disk of the lensed quasar RXJ1131--1231 using
microlensing. Based on preliminary data, we find that the X-ray source
is roughly 1/10 the size of the accretion disk in the rest-frame
B-band. The new observations will significantly reduce the
uncertainties in this estimate, provide a comparison between the size
of the X-ray source and the size of the accretion disk in the rest
frame ultraviolet, and have the signal-to-noise ratio necessary to
begin examining the size of the hard and soft-band X-ray emission
regions separately. The results will quantitatively test accretion
disk theory and X-ray emission mechanisms.

WFPC2 10915

ACS Nearby Galaxy Survey

Existing HST observations of nearby galaxies comprise a sparse and
highly non-uniform archive, making comprehensive comparative studies
among galaxies essentially impossible. We propose to secure HST's
lasting impact on the study of nearby galaxies by undertaking a
systematic, complete, and carefully crafted imaging survey of ALL
galaxies in the Local Universe outside the Local Group. The resulting
images will allow unprecedented measurements of: {1} the star
formation history {SFH} of a 100 Mpc^3 volume of the Universe with a
time resolution of Delta[log{t}]=0.25; {2} correlations between
spatially resolved SFHs and environment; {3} the structure and
properties of thick disks and stellar halos; and {4} the color
distributions, sizes, and specific frequencies of globular and disk
clusters as a function of galaxy mass and environment. To reach these
goals, we will use a combination of wide-field tiling and pointed deep
imaging to obtain uniform data on all 72 galaxies within a
volume-limited sample extending to ~3.5 Mpc, with an extension to the
M81 group. For each galaxy, the wide-field imaging will cover out to
~1.5 times the optical radius and will reach photometric depths of at
least 2 magnitudes below the tip of the red giant branch throughout
the limits of the survey volume. One additional deep pointing per
galaxy will reach SNR~10 for red clump stars, sufficient to recover
the ancient SFH from the color-magnitude diagram. This proposal will
produce photometric information for ~100 million stars {comparable to
the number in the SDSS survey} and uniform multi- color images of half
a square degree of sky. The resulting archive will establish the
fundamental optical database for nearby galaxies, in preparation for
the shift of high- resolution imaging to the near-infrared.

ACS/SBC 10907

New Sightlines for the Study of Intergalactic Helium: A Dozen
High-Confidence, UV-Bright Quasars from SDSS/GALEX

The reionization of intergalactic helium is thought to have occurred
between redshifts of about 3 and 4. Detailed study of HeII Lyman-alpha
absorption toward a handful quasars at 2.7z3.3 demonstrates the
great potential of such probes of the IGM, but the current
critically-small sample limits confidence in resulting cosmological
inferences. The requisite unobscured quasar sightlines to
high-redshift are extremely rare, especially due to severe absorption
in random intervening Lyman-limit systems, but SDSS provides thousands
of z3.1 quasars potentially suitable for HeII studies. We have
cross-correlated SDSS quasars with GALEX UV sources to obtain a dozen
new, very high-confidence, candidate quasars/sightlines {z=3.1 to 4.1}
potentially useful for detailed HeII studies even with current HST
instruments. We propose brief, 2-orbit per target, reconnaissance
spectral exposures with the ACS SBC prism to definitively verify UV
flux down to the HeII break. Our combined SDSS/GALEX selection insures
a very high-yield of confirmations, as the quasars are already known
to be UV-bright from broadband GALEX images. The additional
sightlines, extending to very high-redshift, will directly enable
ensemble spectral stacks, as well as long exposure follow-up spectra,
at high S/N with the ACS/SBC ultraviolet prisms {or perhaps STIS or
COS later}, to confidently measure the spectrum and evolution of the
ionizing background radiation, the evolution of HeII opacity, and the
density of intergalactic baryons.

NIC2 10896

An Efficient ACS Coronagraphic Survey for Debris Disks around Nearby
Stars

We propose to finish our Cycle 11 optical survey for nearby debris
disks using the ACS/HRC coronagraph. Out of 43 orbits originally
proposed for the survey, 23 orbits were allocated, leading to a survey
of 22 stars, from which two new debris disks were imaged for the first
time. Our analysis of the initial survey gives an empirical estimate
for the detection rate of debris disks relative to heliocentric
distance and dust optical depth. Our target list for Cycle 15 is now
optimized to yield more frequent disk detections. Likewise our
observing strategy is improved to maximize sensitivity per telescope
orbit allocated. Therefore we present the most efficient survey
possible. The scientific motivation is to obtain scattered light
images of previously unresolved debris disks to determine their
viewing geometry and physical architecture, both of which may
characterize the underlying planetary system. We choose 25 debris disk
targets for which we predict a detection rate of 25% ? 5%. Four
targets have extrasolar planets from which the viewing geometry
revealed by a disk detection will resolve the v sin{i} ambiguity in
the planet masses. These targets present the remarkable opportunity of
finally seeing a debris disk in system with known planets.

FLIGHT OPERATIONS SUMMARY:

investigated.)

HSTARS:

11082 - REAcq (1,2,2) failed to RGA Hold

At AOS (334/23:25:15) observed that REAcq (1,2,2) scheduled from
22:59:42 - 23:07:17 had failed to RGA Hold due to QSTOP & QF1STOPF
flags on FGS 1. No 486 ESB messages were received. Due to LOS, the
data from OBAD 1 & 2 is unavailable till an engineering data dump is
performed. OBAD MAP data showed the following results: V1 -13.66, V2
-5.48, V3 -5.82, RSS 15.83.

11084 - REACQ(1,2,1) failed, Search Radius Limit exceeded on FGS 1

REACQ(1,2,1) at 335/21:25:44 failed at 21:31:03 with search radius
limit exceeded on FGS 1. Three 486 status buffer 1805
(T2G_MOVING_TARGET_DETECTED) and one "A05" message (FGS Coarse Track
failed- search Radius Limit exceeded) were received. Primary
GSACQ(1,2,1) at 19:51:59 was successful.

COMPLETED OPS REQUEST: (None)

COMPLETED OPS NOTES: (None)

*********************** SCHEDULED***** SUCCESSFUL

OBAD with Maneuver **** 76****************** 76

SIGNIFICANT EVENTS: (None)

Daily Report # 4323 Cooper, Joe Hubble 0 March 21st 07 01:53 PM
Daily Report # 4322 Cooper, Joe Hubble 0 March 21st 07 01:40 PM
3984 Daily Report Joe Cooper Hubble 0 November 10th 05 03:25 PM
Daily Report [email protected] Hubble 0 October 29th 04 04:59 PM
HST Daily Report 131 George Barbehenn Hubble 0 May 11th 04 02:48 PM